• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EnWorlders at Origins?

the Lorax

First Post
I will be there.
However. Unless I'm running events (and I haven't run any Gen Con or Origins events in 8 or more years) I tend to avoid the rpgs and do mass abounts of board gaming.

shaylon

First Post
I'll be there! I hope to meet some other EnWorlders.

About the restaurants mentioned...

Barley's rocks! Very nice place to eat, not sure if you could get a dozen people in though. Everytime I have been there it was packed!
Gordon Biersch is a nice place as well. Brews are excellent there.
O'Shaugnessy's (sp?) is a cool Irish bar. They have great sandwiches.
Buca di Beppo is an italian place with "family" size dishes and large tables. It might be your best bet.
North Market is an awesome area and there are various places so there is something for everyone.

Hope this helps!
-Shay

IamTheTest

First Post
Alright, Ive managed to get a couple of my friends interested but we have some questions because none of us have ever been to a Con before.
1. Am I gonna be looked at funny because Im there with a couple of 2x ladies? (they are a little nervous about that)

2. We are basically new to D&D in general so we arent sure what to expect, what should we do?

3. What is the best day to go if we can only pick one?

Im sure we will have a great time regardless of what we end up doing, but we'd rather have some kind of plan before hand. Thanks for the help.

CalicoDave

Explorer
Hey, IamTheTest, I'll try to answer your questions and hopefully I'll be helpful!

IamTheTest said:
1. Am I gonna be looked at funny because Im there with a couple of 2x ladies? (they are a little nervous about that)

Last year was my first year, but based on what I saw then I don't think you'll be looked at funny for anything. There were stormtroopers, there were women in chainmail bikinis, there was even one woman who had a leash on being lead by her male companion!

2. We are basically new to D&D in general so we arent sure what to expect, what should we do?

From my experience the RPG-ing was rather hit and miss so it's sort of hard to say what to expect. I signed up for 4 DnD/D20 games last year and in two of them the DM didn't show and the game was cancelled. One other was DM'ed by, I believe, Robert Schwalb who's written some for Green Ronin and it was a blast; just a great time. The other game was supposed to be Spycraft but we just sat around talking and the DM would say what happens, we didn't roll any dice or use any of the rules.

So I guess what I'm saying is to roll with the punches and make the most out of the game. Hopefully you'll get a good one, or at least some good people. Take your dice and your PHB and a good attitude and you'll be all set.

The game slots are normally 4 hours so the adventures are generally short and focused. They also generally hand out pre-generated characters.

3. What is the best day to go if we can only pick one?
I'm not sure what the best day is, but I would avoid Sunday as your only day. The crowds really start to thin out on Sundays. All the other days seemed to be really hoppin', but Friday and Saturday are probably the best.

derbacher

Explorer
I'm going to ask here, as maybe someone knows. (I'm getting no love from the Origins site on getting any answers.)

You may remember my newbie Origins posts a few months back.... now I have some more!

1. The Wednesday Day of Courage events: Where in the con center are they held? These are taking place before registration, and I'd like to know where I'm going. The only map on the site is for the exhibit hall, which doesn't help much.

2. What is the best entrance to use to get to the playing areas? (North, south, east west.) I'd hate to have to walk around the building because I showed up at the south entrance and the north one was the only one being used on Wednesday! (That's a BIG building, and I'm an OLD guy!)

Thanks for any help.

Crothian

First Post
derbacher said:
1. The Wednesday Day of Courage events: Where in the con center are they held? These are taking place before registration, and I'd like to know where I'm going. The only map on the site is for the exhibit hall, which doesn't help much.

No idea. But there are very few events at that times so the few people that are around might be there for that too. There should be staff people to question there as well. Or you can just listen and hjope they are loud.

2. What is the best entrance to use to get to the playing areas? (North, south, east west.) I'd hate to have to walk around the building because I showed up at the south entrance and the north one was the only one being used on Wednesday! (That's a BIG building, and I'm an OLD guy!)

Thanks for any help.

Most people come from the south end that connects to the Hyatt or from the west side that is high street I believe. It is another good reason to people watch as there will be people going in and out of the convention center.

Andor said:
Barleys is a brew pub right across the street from the convention center that has good food. (Try the saurkraut balls.) But yeah, there are lot's of restuants nearby, even a decent sushi place.
I have been there and I have to agree their food is GREAT and so is the service!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Alrighty

The current game plan for Dextra and I is to leave Thursday at noon, so we won't be in town for the Thursday games - in fact, we won't be getting to town until around midnight Thursday night.

We will be hanging out and chilling Friday, Sat, Sun, however, and hoping to do a night on the town with the Exalted comics & WW crew (Jim just finished issue 0 of the Exalted comics, and will be at the Con, and there is noting quite like a night out on the town with Jim of Udon and Justin of White Wolf).

But honestly, except for that one night out, we basically no plans this year except ZMan games at the North Market at lunch, and picking up some boxes from Crothian when everything is over.

Definitely have to try out the Sushi place at some point, Dextra and I are huge sushi fans.

Remove ads