• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(EoM) Wielders of the Elements [Looking for interest]

Jolmo

First Post
After playing in three great PbP games here on EN World (Thanks to Creamsteak, Isida Kep'Tukari, Mithreander and all my co-players), I have decided to try starting a game myself.

The setting will be closely tied to the Elements of Magic (Revised) with a few changes. EoM will be required for players as the classes from there are the only ones availible. Beyond that, only the SRD will be used. All players must be able to post at least once every 48 hours with few exceptions.

The tale begins in the village of Clearstone, the village in which you have all lived for the greater part of your life. Clearstone is ruled of course, like all the known world, by King Stentar. A golden era of peace have lasted since King Stentar's grandfather, King Balnus the Uniter, finally defeated the last of the other races and proclaimed himself King of the known world. King Stentar is no longer unopposed though. Recently, an evil lord appeared out of nowhere and laid claim to the land. As news reach Clearstone, peace comes to an abrupt end.

Would anyone be interested in joining this game? I'll post more information if it seems like it can get started, but don't wait to ask any questions you may have.

Last edited:

taitzu52

First Post
Hey Jolmo, good to see you on the other side of the proverbial DM's screen. Question for ya, I'm not a big .pdf collector, or any alt-settings for that matter, so my question is, if one is NOT an arcane caster, does EoM have any differences from the SRD? Or is there more campaign material than I'm aware of? Lemme know, I'd like to see where you take this.

TZ

Jolmo

First Post
Hi, Glad to see some interest :)

EoM replaces all magic, not just arcane. I had planned on having all players be casters, but I could allow one purely martial character whose player wouldn't need EoM. I would need 2-4 casters for the game to get started though.

Except for the above, all character would be self-taught spell casters, having learnt the basics from an old scroll they found as kids and figuring out how to use different spells on their own.

:heh: I hope this isn't to much information at once:

The world as you know it:
The known world is a huge island, about the size of Australia, surrounded on all sides by an endless ocean. In the sky, there is no single sun, instead multiple points of light dot the sky, together providing as much light as our sun, but not as focused. At night, the lights just wink out, only a single one remaining, far away.

Humans are the supreme race, others exist, but not in great numbers since the wars. They are looked down on, have to pay more tax, and are not as protected by the laws as humans. To humans, the laws are just and the taxes low.

Magic is a known fenomena, but not many can learn it and fewer get the chance to. Three strong mages serve the King; Halon, the King's Mouth; Birmon, the King's Arm; and Sintro, the King's Eyes. Other than those, several mages, of no more power than you, are known to exist. As you learnt from the scroll, magic works through manipulating connections to the elemental planes, though you're not quite sure what that means.

Character Creation:
28 point buy: start at 8, 9-16 costs 1 point, 17-18 costs 2 points. All start with whatever equipment they could be expected to own, including weapons and armor. HP is max at first, then 75% rounded down. No alignments.

House Rules:
Some spell lists are unavailible to you, at least initially. Those are the [Alignment], [Creature], Time, and Space spell lists.

All spell lists are worked in different ways in this game. Because of that, it is easier to learn similar spell lists than those differing much. This affects spell list selection and max MP used for a spell.

Spell List Selection: The first spell list can be freely chosen from those availible.

All following spell lists must be chosen to have a connection with one of your earlier lists.

A connection exists within each element, a connection also exists between two elements adjacent on the elemental globe which also share the same action type. Example: Evoke Fire has a connection to all Fire lists and Evoke Lightning/Light/Lava/Shadow.

For nature, a connection exists with any two spell lists whose elements are on polar opposites of the elemental globe and who share the same action type. If you possess only one of the lists, no connection exists. Example: Create Mist and Create Lava together has a connection to Create Nature

To use nature as a connection for chosing other spell lists, you must pick the complete opposite of one that you already possess, or both opposites at once. Example: Infuse Nature has a connection to Infuse Fire if you already possess Infuse Water, or if you chose both at the same time.

Force spell lists are the most basic, they do not require a connection to take and do not offer connections to any other spell lists. If you have only selected Force spell lists, your next one can be freely chosen.

MP limit: The limit for spending many MP on a single action type is extended to elements as well, and is made stricter to allow only 'the number of spell lists of the right type that you know' squared in MP spent. Example: To cast a spell using evoke fire 1/evoke light 1/summon fire 4, you would need to have a third fire spell list as two fire spell lists only lets you use 4 fire MP in a spell, you would also need a second summon spell list.

The MP limit rule might be softend if it seems to tough during play.

[Creature] spell lists: The [creature] spell lists are replaced by [element] spell lists and can only be used on those who currently draws power from one of the elements. In general, something needs to be at least moderately aligned with an element to count as getting energy from it. Casting a spell using 6 MP or more of a single element makes the caster count as moderately aligned with that element, general MP counts for all elements involved. All infuse spells of that power affecting a target always makes the target elementaly aligned. Humans and similar creatures are not aligned to Life or any other element, but are made of Nature and can be affected by spell lists like Heal Nature.

XP: I will not track XP, instead increasing your levels when that would fit.

Crafting Items and Permanent Spells: Item crafting and permanent spells, instead of using XP, costs more MP and requires you to reserve half of the MP cost all the time. These MP can be used, but doing so will drain the item or spell, ending its effect. Permanent spells costs as much MP as creating an item costing half it's market value, they also take some time to cast, one hour per 1000 gp of their marketprice. You can't create an item or cast a permanent spell using more MP than you normaly could use for a spell. The MP cost depends on the GP cost for creating the item as by the table below.

MP: Max GP
01: 250
02: 750
03: 1,500
04: 2,500
05: 3,750
06: 5,250
07: 7,000
08: 9,000
09: 11,250
10: 13,750
11: 16,500
12: 19,500
13: 22,750
14: 26,250
15: 30,000
16: 34,000
17: 38,250
18: 42,750
19: 47,500
20: 52,500

---

I hope that all made some sense. ;) I think that's all you need to know, but please ask for whatever information or clarification you need. If you see a problem with one of the rules, let me know. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads