• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Feat Question(s)

MensurB

First Post
Hi
I am playing a 25th level Sorcerer in a campaign, and I was wondering about the Improved Spell Capacity feat. It says that I get +1 to my current spell level. That means at 25th level if I take the feat twice than I can only cast 11th level spells, is that correct or do I get the 10th level spells(epic) automatically. Also do I even have to take the feat in order to cast higher level spells or do I get those anyways for having a high chaisma score according to the table on p.59 in the epic campaign book. This is quite nice, since I figured out that I can empower eagles' splendor.

Here is an example: If I have the feat empower spell, and Improved Matamagic (which subtracts 1(one) from the cost of empowering spells. So let's say I can cast 12th level spells. If I am at least 28th (or so) level I can empower Eagles splendor 10 times. That is 15 times the die roll of eagles splendor. If I roll a 4 and the total would be 5 than that means I get to add 75 points to my charisma for 28 hours? Am I doing this right? This way I can also empower bullsstrenght on out Barbarien. I'll be his best friend. I hope I am doing this right. The most problems I am having though is in the first paragraph.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Here is an example: If I have the feat empower spell, and Improved Matamagic (which subtracts 1(one) from the cost of empowering spells. So let's say I can cast 12th level spells. If I am at least 28th (or so) level I can empower Eagles splendor 10 times. That is 15 times the die roll of eagles splendor. If I roll a 4 and the total would be 5 than that means I get to add 75 points to my charisma for 28 hours?

No, no, and no :)

Check the description of Eagle's Splendor - it says you don't get bonus spells. It only affects your spell DCs and Cha-based skills, basically.

Twice-Empowering something adds 50% twice, not 150% twice. It's not (x1.5)x2, it's x1 + (x.5)x2.

10-times Empowered is x1 + (x.5)x10, or a total of x6, not x15.

If you roll a 4(+1), then you only get +30 to your Cha.

Note that your DM may rule that you can only apply Improved Metamagic to one application of the feat... ie your first one only costs +1 spell level, but any others cost +2 as normal.

-Hyp.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Okay, here's how Increased Spell Capacity works:

Your Sorceror-25 has Increased Spell Capacity taken twice, right? Fine; the first one adds one tenth-level spell per day, plus any bonusses you get from high Charisma.

The second feat adds one 11th level spell per day (plus your charisma bonus, if any). You don't lose the prior benefits, each time you take Increased Spell Capacity, you get ANOTHER level of spell.

By the way, 10th level slots are NOT the same as Epic spells.

Also do I even have to take the feat in order to cast higher level spells or do I get those anyways for having a high chaisma score according to the table on p.59 in the epic campaign book. This is quite nice, since I figured out that I can empower eagles' splendor.

Of course you have to take the feat!! Did you get 5th level spells when your sorceror was 1st and 2d level, just because of high charisma?

Nope.

Ditto for 10th and higher level spells. You only get the bonus, if you could cast at least one spell of that level without your charisma bonus.

Here is an example: If I have the feat empower spell, and Improved Matamagic (which subtracts 1(one) from the cost of empowering spells. So let's say I can cast 12th level spells. If I am at least 28th (or so) level I can empower Eagles splendor 10 times. That is 15 times the die roll of eagles splendor. If I roll a 4 and the total would be 5 than that means I get to add 75 points to my charisma for 28 hours? Am I doing this right? This way I can also empower bullsstrenght on out Barbarien. I'll be his best friend. I hope I am doing this right. The most problems I am having though is in the first paragraph.

No, it's not 15 times the die roll. It's 6 times the die roll -- Empower does not multiply with itself. EACH USE of that feat, gives you 50% of the rolled bonus, and only 50% of the actual rolled bonus. Metamagicks do not stack ... they each work based solely on the BASE spell itself.

Thus, 10 Empowers is 10 times adding 50% of the base spell -- or, +500%. For a total of 600% benefit.

If you rolled a 5 like you said, you would get: (5 + (2.5 x 10) =) +30 charisma.

Further, to do this, would require THREE Increased Spell Capacity feats, AND the Improved Metamagic feat. Four epic feats, isn't easy to manage, even for a 28th level caster. Not impossible, but not easy to do, either.

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Here's the deal. 10th level spells are not epic spells per se. To cast epic spells you must take the Epic Spellcasting feat. Then you can design epic spells. These spells are of no particular level, they just are. If, for some reason, you absolutely need them to count as a level, they count as 10, but they don't take 10th level slots or anything like that. When you take Epic Spellcasting, you gain the ability to cast one epic spell per day for every 10 points of knowledge (religion/arcana/nature) that you have (depending on if you're a cleric, wizard/sorcerer, or druid).

Improved spell capacity gives you one slot of a level one higher than you can currently cast. Otherwise, you cannot cast spells higher than 9th. Taking it onces gives you 1 10th level spell slot. If you get bonus 10th level spell slots because of your ability scores, you add them to the original 1. You can use these to cast meta-magicked spells, like an empowered 8th level spell.

If you take it again, you get 1 11th level spell slot, plus however many bonus 11th level slots you get from your spellcasting ability score.

Ok, so you have a 10x empowered eagle's splendor... sure. However, that's not 15 times. Your math is off. Each empower adds .5 of the original roll. So 10 of those would be adding 5 times the original roll, for a total of 6 times the original roll. Which is still darn good.

So there you go.

-The Souljourner

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads