• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic-Level Commoner

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Tonight I was writing up the city of Dyvers (metropolis; population 50,588) in my Greyhawk campaign. As part of the process I have been rolling for the highest-level locals as per the Dungeon Master's Guide (pages 138 & 139). The process resulted in four (!) epic-level commoners. For the most part I do not have a problem justifying the occasional high-level commoner (or adept...); it is easy to conceive of character living a hard life or being a militia member who was present at Emridy Meadows, but this only gets me so far.

So, I am looking to the community for ideas. What sort of person becomes an epic-level commoner?

HoboGod

First Post
Commoners are farmers, laborers, and store clerks. Traditional fantasy stories don't lend themselves well to legendary farmers and lumberjacks. Look, however, to American Folklore for inspiration. Stories of legendary farmers and lumberjacks more than exist: Johnny Appleseed and Paul Bunyan.

Chicken farmers, basket weavers... the possibilities are endless.

Yep, the world knows to fear basket weavers. You've made that one pretty clear. :p

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Well, Jacob, there are a few questions I believe are in order for every DM in regards to the milieu's overall philosophy of what "Levels" mean.

Now, if you choose to subscribe to the always-popular, gritty, low-magic, low-powered philosophy, where essentially most everyone is below level 6 for anything, with officers, veterans, and elites being in the level 7-12 range, and only epic heroes above the level 12-15 range, then you've definitely got some intrinsic problems with addressing the issue. By the way, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this particular philosophy.

As for myself, I long ago embraced high-level, epic play as an intrinsic and integrated aspect of my game world and milieu. This "epic" philosophy, such as it is, requires some different definitions and interpretations of "epic", "levels" and what that all means within the context of the milieu.

I have a fairly good number of high-level experts, commoners, and so on, as well as other character types throughout my campaign world. I base such considerations on the premise that once you embrace "epic" gaming, and the rules that go with it, that such considerations really do at their core make some far-reaching and pervasive demands on the entire rest of the campaign world, and every society, from top to bottom. Furthermore, I as DM don't really find most of any of the classes below level 4 or 5 to be terribly useful at simulating anything, and not terribly meaningful or useful to the societies I envision in the campaign milieu as a whole.

To my reasoning, once you walk through the philosophy, the rules, and analyze the implications, it simply demands sweeping changes. Thus, I tend to view most characters at 5th level or lower to be essentially in the "apprentice stage"--with adults of whatever class being typically in the 6-12 range, with experienced masters, elites, and such being in the 12-20 range. This then, essentially leaves the 18 and above crowd to still be unusual, but not problematic to explain or address within the context of the campaign milieu.

Having established that, then, it's not a great matter then to see how various exceptional people reach "epic" levels. However, even with this in place, there's the secondary question of why a particular someone would remain a Commoner, say, above level 6 or 8 if they indeed have the stats and raw natural talents and inclinations to work, experience and advance further.

As a side effect, in the process of broadening the definitions and such, reaching epic levels then does not necessarily mean that character X is a badass epic hero. Certainly, player characters fit the bill, but the definition changes based on the individual character's profession and background experiences. Thus, a level 25 or 30 Expert has not slain dragons, fought hordes of demons, and so on. (This also requires that you interpret experience and the gaining thereof differently)--he may have never even killed a single creature for any reason. He gained his experience through workmanship, socializing, supervising the guild, entering into politics, learning and travelng to see greater professional masters, and so on. That can all then work well together.

However, it still remains something of a professional and interpretive problem for higher level Commoners. If you view them as useless, unskilled flunkies, then it's more of a problem. I, on the other hand, see Commoners as simply common folk that have focused and specialized or rather, as opposed to experts, "generalized" to a limited extent in whatever chosen profession they have. Remember, Commoners are more generalists--that's almost the opposite definition and reason de entre of experts. Thus, a Commoner may be a blacksmith, and he may be a decent armourer or weaponsmith, but not both. Nor would he be knowledgeable about foreign techniques, or have obscure knowledge of many different kinds of work. He would be focused on a small, narrow subset of knowledge, and that's it.

Ok, having justified and explored that, then, it is useful to ask what context is such a commoner in? Is he an urban commoner, or a rural commoner? By your post, he is in the great city of Dyvers.

Ok, having said that, then, think about what single, focused profession such a commoner, whether male or female, would likely be. That then provides the basis for how this character may have been living and working through their life to this point in time.

Having worked through these ideas, it then becomes easier to craft a unique, tailored past to fill out this special character's life. Remember, though, such characters do not--despite being epic level--have to have crazy, epic and violent lives to reach their status, as long as you embrace the idea of alternative ways to gain experience. Nonetheless, though, such characters are still special, and require some detailed, well-thought out history and personality.

I hope this has helped, my friend.

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

GreyLord

Legend
Gerak Cammerskill - Known World wide and beyond for selling his goods. Everyone wants to be Gerak Cammerskill, or at least have his wealth. He made his fortune selling General store goods...In Bulk! Now he has super General Stores on every corner of every major capital in the Planes! He is THE GUY to go to for finding general goods for your area...and beyond. Want Oranges from the tropics of the Plane of the Hunting Grounds...well he's your man...and he'll sell them in bulk. Epic level Commoner...and merchant elite! Also has so much gold he can literally swim in lakes of it.

Methan Uwe - His Grandfather created the heavens, founded the core of the council of Deities...and rules on high. His father forged fire and gave it to man...wielded the sword in defense of humanity vs. Tiamat and gained his rise from Sub-Deity to Immortal through such acts. Methan...not so much. Doesn't quite add up to his ol Man. Instead he is all about himself. All that gold Pa got on his adventures...well he left it all behind when he ascended. Now Methan has spent a lifetime simply fighting off all those who would take it. He's become a trapmaster of sorts...installing all sorts of devices to ensnare those who would take his goods. His snares and traps are so legendary that envoys are sent (envoys...because they most likely won't return, even if methan get's their message) to ask for his workmanship for the best snares in the world. Hunters, Theives Guilds, Assassin's guilds...Dungeonmasters...they all turn to him. His experience in this field far exceeds any others. It's not so much that he can build them...than he knows who can build what for what situation. If you need it absolutely protected...he's the one to contact...because he has the contacts YOU need.

Gruffin Understuck - Mining is in his blood. He's been mining for centuries. No...Literally...he's been mining for centuries. That's what he is...a miner. He started off small...but over time...A LOT OF TIME...he's built up quite a network. In fact, his network of mines seem to connect to every dungeon, cavern, underdark, or cave anywhere. If you need a way out, he can get you one...for a price. He knows stone...he knows minerals...heck...he knows the middle of the earth and a couple of Elemental Princes. He may not know much else...but if it deals with something digging into the earth underground...well...you know who to contact.

Morrison Roughand - He can sense it in the wind. He can sense the time. He can sense whether this will be a good year or a bad year. He started it off small and built it up. A small farmer's union to unite them against the troubles of the borderlands. Who needs a band of 5 adventurers when you can have 500 farmers united he said. Then it became 1000 in his farmer's unity. Then 5000, then 10,000. As it grew, they came to him for advice...for leadership...and though they eventually got others to lead...ex-heroes who had taken up farming...he was always there to support what he had started...and to lead farmers against evils that came. His organization of farmers, though spotty, now covers the entire continent, and his travels to support the growing organization has given him a sense of how weather and crops work the land over. His epic sized Farmer's Almanac which he releases each year is almost gospel to farmers everywhere. Supplemented by the Great Druid, and approved by the Ranger's Council, his own knowledge of the workings of nature has grown. Perhaps he's no Druid, and no warrior Ranger...but his keen sense of crops and their integration with the land is unbeatable. If you want to grow crops and want to know what the next year will most likely bring...his Farmer's Almanac is the book you want.

Just some ideas of what an epic level commoner could be like.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
[MENTION=1131]SHARK[/MENTION] - Thanks for the outstanding reply. The political aspect, and the challenges that arise, is something that I had completely forgotten about. That certainly opens up many more doors.

I totally get where you are coming from in your embrace of high-level, epic play. It may be a road worth taking, at some point.

The campaign that I am building is intended to be a conversion of a portion of Greyhawk to fit with the rules outlined in a Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, modified by the information from the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer and the Dungeon Master's Guide. As a result, the vast majority of the world's population falls between level 1 and level 5. Those who exceed level 5 are therefore, truly unique. These are individuals who have had experiences beyond those of a normal person. Though, these experiences need not be combat related.

Thinking more on your politics/guild angle brings to mind Giovanni di Bicci de' Medici and his son Cosimo. Born poor, but able Giovanni made his fortune first in the textile trade and later in banking. Cosimo continued with the business and expanded into politics and also became a partron of the arts. They would certainly have the sort of experiences that could make for an epic-level commoner.

HoboGod

First Post
[MENTION=4348]GreyLord[/MENTION]
The first two are experts, not commoners, but I do love the flavor you add. ^_^

Experts are the merchants, Commoners are just the clerks. Experts make the traps, Commoners just install them.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
What sort of experiences would a VoP Commoner have that would let them achieve 210,000+ experience? What sort of challenges would these medicants have faced?

Depends on the DM. Maybe feeding the population of your town through your own efforts is worth lots of XP.

Remove ads