• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic-level stuff

Melanos

Explorer
Hi everyone!

This is my first posting of any kind on any forum on the Internet.
And of course, it has to be a D&D site as I have been an avid gamer for over a decade now.
Anyways, I am looking to see if anyone out there knows any sites that give cool epic-level material or if they have any house rules that they would not mind sharing with me.
I guess that's it for now. Thanks.

Melanos

Explorer
Thanks!

Yeah, I've already checked EVERYTHING on the wizards site.
I was just wondering if there is any other cool stuff out there.
AKA Prestige CLasses, Monsters, Adventures, Feats

Vlos

First Post
Hanen't seen a lot of EPIC stuff on the web. Most content on the web is usually for specific campaigns/worlds.

Probably your best place is the boards.

Also for a better version of the SRD than you can find on the Wizards site, visit the following site (great access to SRD)

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/

Crothian

First Post
My house rules for epic go along the lines of "what do the players want?" Basically I see no ability that is so strong that it cannot be createsd as a feat or prestige class with some truely difficult requirements. I have a few already created but for the most part I'm waiting for the players to get there and see what they want their direction to go.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
There are epic-level boards over at Dicefreaks:

http://community.dicefreaks.com/

Full of house rules, too. The regulars seem to have a very firm idea of how epic-, deity-, and cosmic-level D&D *ought* to look... not for everyone's taste (but what is?), but certainly worth a look, IMHO.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
If I were you, I'd read Piratecats', Sepulchrave's and my story hours. I would then go to the Rogue's Gallery forum here on ENWorld, and look for the associated discussions. PC and mine have many NPCs and items that are of Epic Level, and Sep's also has Epic Level Spells (that are used in his story hour). You can find links in my .sig.

I also can't recommend Black Dirge's articles (found by a link on ENWorld's home page) of monsters, some of which are Epic and fantastic.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
WizarDru said:
If I were you, I'd read Piratecats', Sepulchrave's and my story hours. I would then go to the Rogue's Gallery forum here on ENWorld, and look for the associated discussions. PC and mine have many NPCs and items that are of Epic Level, and Sep's also has Epic Level Spells (that are used in his story hour). You can find links in my .sig.

I second this; in fact, I cannot recommend this course of action emphatically enough. Rules, supplements, books, articles, and mechanics aside, these story hours capture Epic level in a way that is outstanding, and (in my humble opinion) in the case of Sepulchrave II's story hour, astonishing. His may be some of the finest fantasy adventure writing I've ever read.

The mechanics are good, and can usually be found in the related Rogue's Gallery threads, or house rules threads attendant with each story hour. But for the feel and flavor, check out those three (at least, there are more) story hours. They are chock full of well-realized characters, interesting writing, challenging situations, intricate stories, fantastic plotlines, good humor, and good old-fashioned storytelling, and all deal with high level play in a way that is believable within the scope of D&D. I know I always thought that 20+ level characters could pretty much surmount any challenge. Then I read Sepulchrave II's story hour, and now I know better (still can't do it myself, but I know better ;) )

Get comfortable, though, because they're not short. But they are worth a look.

Warrior Poet

TDRandall

Explorer
Boy is THAT the truth, Warrior Poet!

With plenty to read through each day at this site already, I hadn't really looked into the story hours before. Didn't know how to begin, didn't want to come into the middle of a story (or later). But a couple days back I dipped in ... and got hooked on "Sins of the Father" immediately, especially since those links to documents on "everything that has gone before" were available. I can almost picture it in graphic-novel format.

Along the way I'm seeing good things about exactly the three you mentioned and now have them on my "to do" list - if I can ever get through Destan's backlog! Boy is that great fodder. I'm really hoping that Piratecat, Sepulchrave and Wizardru all have their previous stuff (if any) also available so I can start from the very beginning ( and now I hear Julie Andrews "a very good place to start" - must be time for the meds ;) )

The rogue's gallery only intensifies the usefullness (I knew of Destan's - do the other three have direct cross-links to their rogues' stuff too?) I'm going to plunk down the dollars for the Valus setting book if I ever run across it based upon "Sins"!

WizarDru

Adventurer
Piratecat's Story has been collected into a series of documents in Word .DOC format for downloading and reading. I may be mistaken, but I think it currently sits at 4 large documents and counting. Look at the last two pages of his story hour for some posts with links to the documents.

Sepulchrave's Story Hour (and for reference, he's only Sep II because of some issues during a board change way back when) has also collected into some word docs, but for the life of me I can't find a link to them.

Our story hour (and I say our because I run the game, but Zad writes most of the story hour itself) is maintained in a legacy word document, I believe, by Zad. If you drop him a post in our story hour, I'm sure he'd send you on a copy. It's pretty honking huge, at this point. But then, watching characters rise from 1st level to 23rd level over the course of a campaign that's now 4 years old will do that for you. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads