• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Level treasure

Gog

First Post
There seems to be some sort of disconnect between epic level treasure values, and how much epic things actually cost.

For instance a +6 weapon is worth 720,000 (plus cost of the weapon), Which according to the treasure table on page 122 means you could get 1 of these swords after roughly a EL 45 encounter. Now an EL 39 encounter is a Devastation Centipede, which has a DR of 40/+9 and a SR of 50. Now I realize they don’t have treasure but it’s just an example of a monster you should fight, BEFORE you get to a treasure that would give you 1 +6 weapon. And as far as making a magic weapon goes, it would take 720 days, and even with the Efficient creation feat it would still take 72, not to mention all the xp.

I’m just wondering if anybody else has an idea of how to do Epic treasure, cause what’s in the book just ain’t gonna work.

:confused: :confused:

kreynolds

First Post
Gog said:
And as far as making a magic weapon goes, it would take 720 days, and even with the Efficient creation feat it would still take 72, not to mention all the xp.

That's why you make your magic items on a plane where a time differential exists. :D

Gog

First Post
Yeah we already thought of that, but it still dosen't address the expense and how long it would take to get that much freaking gold. And this is for a grand total of 1 item, go forbid you need a couple of weapons and some armor.

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
Gog said:
I’m just wondering if anybody else has an idea of how to do Epic treasure, cause what’s in the book just ain’t gonna work.

:confused: :confused:

Remember, those are "average" values, sometimes could be much higher, sometimes much lower. Although if your GM doesn't throw in epic items every so often, you could always visit a planar metropolis like the City of Union where at times you can buy/order items of up to 1 million gold.

Also for fighter types, I would suggest taking the Penetrate Damage Reducion epic feat.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Maybe that's why they're called Epic items:

You'll have to go through the labors of Heracles to get one! :D

tarcil

Explorer
Ever Thought about improving items?

Greetings

With the exhorbinant (sp?) costs of epic items, two ideas come to mind. First, if you are the party's magic item b*tch, oh I mean wizard, then I would be using the xp expenditure variant to make the pc pay with their own xp. Second, I would try and either get or find an item that has a lower, similar power that can be upped. Example: The flaming, flaming burst, then fiery blast. In my campaign, going from flaming to flaming burst is just an improvement, not a brand new weapon ability. The same goes for flaming burst to fiery blast. It makes very little sense to start from scratch, and if I were a PC, I wouldn't want to lose my sword (spear, axe, staff, little dagger, etc.) that I have killed so many with. I would want it IMPROVED.

But this is just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Edward
:cool:

Remove ads