• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic monster descriptions

coriolis

Explorer
After more than a year off, our group is re-assembling to get our characters up to 20th level (they're currently 17-19). I'll be the DM, and so I figured some epic-level monsters will start to make their apparition. The problem is that the SRD doesn't include any information regarding appearance, origin or disposition, and the Epic Level Handbook is no longer available at my LGS. Could someone provide me some information about the following monsters:

Anaxim
Atropal
Chichimec
Dream Larva
Hecatoncheires
Infernal
Phaethon
Phane
Xixecal
Demilich
Genius Loci
Gibbering Orb
Gloom
Ha-Naga
Hagunemnon (Protean)
Hoary Hunter
Hunefer
Lavawight
leShay
Living Vault
Mercane
Mu Spore
Paragon Creature
Prismasaurus
Ruin Swarm
Shadow Of The Void
Shape Of Fire
Tayellah
Thorciasid
Umbral Blot (Blackball)
Uvuudaum
Vermiurge
Winterwight
Worm That Walks
Flux Slime

(To give an example, I would describe beholders as "man-sized spheres with a single central eye, wide mouth, and ring of eyestalks on the top. Each eye projects a specific magic power. They have arrogant personalities - verging on xenophobia - and tend to surround themselves with charmed bodyguards)

Orius

Legend
Only really know the stuff from pre-3e.

A skull with gems in the eye sockets and gens replacing the teeth. These gems trap the souls that the demilich steals. A demilich is a very old and powerful lich. Read up on the Tomb of Horrors if you want to know more.

A.k.a. arcane, they're tall blue skinned humanoids that have an extra joint on their fingers. They travel the planes selling rare and valuable merchandice, often magic items. They're cowardly and try to avoid combat.

Umbral Blot (Blackball)

Basically it's a living sphere of annihilation.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
The Atropal:

looks like: A giant rotting, floating fetus. Has a huge head, big bulging eyes, stubby arms and legs, trailing umbilical cord, etc.

origin: It is a baby god that died in the (cosmic?) womb before fully developing. Later it rises as an undead abomination with godlike powers, infant intelligence, and intense hatred for all living things.

It is definitely one of the more disturbing monster creations.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

The result of a union between a fiend and a god. It looks like an eight-foot tall humanoid with reddish-black scales, bat-like wings, and a tail (in other words, it looks like a classic fiend).

frankthedm

First Post
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20020726a4

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=685278

44162_C5_thorciasid.jpg

Thorciasid: epic level cockroaches IIRC wotc had in a preview for the epic level handbook. Its attacks were one of the first signs that epic combat would too often focus on attacking ability scores and character levels. It also ignored all the 100,000's characters spent on magic armor by touch attacking :eek:. If you did not have a grapple bonus in the 30's, it's glue spit, also delivered through [ranged] touch would keep you grappled. 70' speed, spring attack, improved disarm and 5 rounds of haste were all icing on the cake.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Hypertext SRD has pictures of most of them and anything else I'd suggest you just make up based on what information is in the SRD

really these are EPIC monsters and thus should be unique, you adding your own descriptions will enusre that they remain enigmatic and well epic:)

As for the abomoinations all are insane hateful and unwanted godlings
Anaxim - construct baddass war machine
Atropal - undead aborted feotus god
Chichimec - a flock of wings
Dream Larva - ultimate nightmare
Hecatoncheires - 100 godlings squashed into one
Infernal - a big feind
Phaethon - shining one, like a cosmic plasma
Phane - a shadow of time
Xixecal - glacier elemental

Remove ads