(Epic Prestige Class) Sorcerer-King

Quartz

Hero
I really don't like the Tied to the Land disability. It's too limiting. 1d4 CON per day? Per month maybe.

As for the prerequisites, I don't like Great Charisma. How about simply saying CHA 19+ (or whatever figure you decide)? You might also consider Leadership or Epic Leadership.

Heal subjects - this is a cool power!

Fieari

Explorer
Tied to the land really seems like a major bummer altogether.

"So, guys, I permanently spent ten levels of spell slots for this cool new ability!"

"Yeah, so what can you do now?"

"Well now, instead of attacking me, my enemies can attack my land instead!"

"Well, at least your land is better protected, right?"

"Actually, no. If some bugger was able to hurt me directly, that'd hurt my land too."

"So let me get this straight. You gave up spellcasting power..."

"Yes."

"...and in return, not only have you recieved a new vulnerability..."

"Yeah."

"...but the land you love is in danger too?"

"Right."

"Ah, I see. Well, carry on then. Sounds like a bonus to me. Call the Character Optimization people. We have a winner."

Pyrex

First Post
Tonguez said:
2. Ubiquitous Spellcasting: n-times per day an eldritch liege can cast a spell at have its effects manifest anywhere within his lands regardless of normal range

1) Make See the Land at will.

2) Make the use of Scrying or Clairvoyance via See the Land the required link to use Ubiquitous Spellcasting.

Jack Simth

First Post
Perhaps strengthen Tied to the Land... something like.....

Tied to the Land (Su): The eldritch liege is tied tightly to his land. If the land is blighted or otherwise rendered unhealthy, the eldritch liege suffers 1d4 points of con damage per day. If the eldritch liege is sick, the land gradually loses its vitality as crops wither, birds and insects begin to die off, etc. If the eldritch liege is slain, the land goes into a deep hibernation within a week, and nothing new grows. However, the eldritch liege also draws power from the land, and is able to restore spells that he has employed (either regaining expended prepared spells or regaining expended spell slots) by doing so. Once per day, as a swift action, the eldritch liege can restore up to ten levels of expended spells or spell slots. Further, the land also fortifies him, granting him a bonus to Constitution based on the number of living, intelligent beings who consider themselves his subjects (see table), with a maximum bonus equal to twice the Sorcerer King's class level.

His tie to the land permanently costs the eldritch liege ten levels of spell slots, at least one of which must be 7th level or higher.
[sblock]
Code:
Table: Constitution bonus by subjects
Subjects	Constitution Bonus
1000		+1
2000		+2
4000		+3
8000		+4
16000		+5
32000		+6
64000		+7
128000		+8
256000		+9
x2		+1 additional per additional doubling
[/sblock]

the Jester

Legend
Here's my newest take on this concept. I've reworked Tied to the Land to be more useful for the eldritch liege, at least when he's home. :) I also added in Ubiquitous Presence, made into a full round action in order to render it less abusable as an instant escape tool.

Eldritch Liege

Eldritch lieges are arcanists who have come to rule an area. They tie themselves so closely to the land that they and it reflect each others’ health and vitality. An eldritch liege learns to feel his land, the state of its affairs and any threats to it. He gains tremendous powers with which he can defend it.

All eldritch lieges must be spontaneous arcane casters, and the vast majority of them are sorcerers, but a few have risen from the ranks of the greatest bards.

Hit Die: d4

PREREQUISITES
To become an eldritch liege, a creature must fulfill all of the following prerequisites:

Spellcasting: Able to cast 9th-level arcane spells.
Skills: Diplomacy (12 ranks).
Feats: Great Charisma.
Special: Must rule an area of land of at least 400 square miles or with a population of at least 5,000.

Class Skills: Bluff (cha), Concentration (con), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Intimidate (cha), Knowledge (arcana, geography, local and nobility and royalty) (int), Sense Motive (wis), Speak Language and Spellcraft (int). Skill points per level: 2 + int bonus.

Level--- Special Abilities
1--- Tied to the Land, +1 caster level
2--- Sense Incursion, Ubiquitous Presence, +1 caster level
3--- See the Land 1/day, +1 caster level
4--- Defend the Land 1/day, bonus feat
5--- Heal Subjects 1/day, +1 caster level
6--- See the Land 2/day, +1 caster level
7--- +1 caster level
8--- Defend the Land 2/day, bonus feat, +1 caster level
9--- See the Land 3/day, +1 caster level
10-- Heal Subjects 2/day, +1 caster level

CLASS FEATURES

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
An eldritch liege gains no new proficiencies in armor or weapons.

Spellcasting:
At every class level except those ending in 4, the eldritch liege increases in spellcasting power.

Tied to the Land (Su): The eldritch liege is tied tightly to his land by the eldritch connection between them. If a large portion of the land is blighted or otherwise rendered unhealthy, the eldritch liege suffers 1d4 points of con damage per day. If the eldritch liege is sick, the land gradually loses its vitality as crops wither, birds and insects begin to die off, etc. If the eldritch liege is slain, the land goes into a deep hibernation within a week, and nothing new grows for at least one year (and sometimes far longer).

However, the eldritch liege also draws power from the land, and is able to use this power in any of several ways once per day as a swift action:

-He can restore spells that he has employed (either regaining expended prepared spells or regaining expended spell slots) by doing so. The eldritch liege can restore up to ten levels of expended spells or spell slots. This ability functions only when he is standing on his land or on a building on his land.

-The eldritch liege can also use the power of his land to give him vitality, gaining a number of temporary hit points equal to ten times his class level. These temporary hit points will last for a maximum of one hour; this ability only functions when the eldritch liege is standing on his land or on a building on his land, and if he leaves the area of his land, he immediately loses these temporary hit points (if any remain).

-He can increase the save DC and his spell penetration roll by +10 for one spell.

His tie to the land permanently costs the eldritch liege ten levels of spell slots, at least one of which must be 7th level or higher.

Sense Incursion (Su): If the eldritch liege’s lands are invaded or attacked by a serious threat, he becomes instantly aware of the existence of the threat as well as the location of the attack. This ability works at any distance and even across planes (although certain sealed planes might prevent it). This ability is otherwise similar to proleptic visions.

Ubiquitous Presence (Su): As a full round action, the eldritch liege can employ a greater teleport (on himself and up to 50 lbs. of nonliving matter only) to take him to anywhere in his domain.

See the Land (Sp): Once per day per three levels, the eldritch liege may use clairaudience, clairvoyance or scrying as a standard action to look in on his land or subjects or to check up on someone within his lands. This ability lasts for one hour, and the effect chosen may not be changed. Otherwise, it functions just like the spell in question.

Defend the Land (Sp):
As a standard action, the eldritch liege may cover an area of his land up to 100’ in diameter per class level in a protective dome of force. This effect is partially shapeable; the eldritch liege can choose to shorten one dimension (i.e. a 400’ diameter dome only 100’ high). The dome lasts for 10 minutes per class level or until dismissed. It is otherwise similar to a wall of force, except that a disintegrate spell or effect will only punch a hole in the dome, rather than completely destroying it. An eldritch liege can use this ability once per day per four levels.

Heal Subjects (Sp): Once per day per 5 levels, the eldritch liege can channel one of his normal spells into a healing effect. This effect will heal all of his subjects and allies within 30’ of 1d6 hp per level of the spell slot sacrificed. This power has no effect on anyone that is not a subject or ally of the eldritch liege (including undead).

Bonus Feats: Eldritch lieges gain bonus feats every four levels. They may choose from the following list: Augmented Alchemy, Epic Leadership, Epic Reputation, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Extended Life Span, Familiar Spell, Great Charisma, Improved Spell Capacity, Polyglot, Spell Knowledge, Tenacious Magic.

ChimericDream

First Post
I'll pitch in on this, since I was lurking on it before.

I've got to say that the newest version is looking quite a bit better, but it's still lacking in one or two areas. Considering that it's an epic PrC, I'd probably bump up a couple of the abilities as people mentioned before. For example, I would make See the Land either at will or increase it to 1/day per level. I'd also switch out Great Charisma for Leadership and Epic Leadership.

I like the concept of the Tied to the Land ability, but I think the wording could use just a little clarification. For example, if you are the Eldritch Liege of a country that covers 1,000 square miles and I burn down three villages totaling less than 1/10 of that, are you still going to take 1d4 con per day until they are rebuilt?
(Nevermind... I went back and reread the newest part, and you've clarified it better.)

the Jester

Legend
muzick said:
I'll pitch in on this, since I was lurking on it before... I'd also switch out Great Charisma for Leadership and Epic Leadership.

Thanks for chiming in! :D

I've recently done away with Leadership and Epic Leadership imc; that's the reason I'm not using those as prereqs. Otherwise I would, and maybe also some of the additional leadership feats in Heroes of Battle. Great Charisma seems like the best non-Leadership version of Leadership.

Will post more later- I'm at work, and my break is just about over. Again, thanks for joining the discussion! :)

rom90125

Banned
Banned
I think the Con drain from Tied To The Land should be 1d4 per week...It still imposes the penalty but makes the damage more drawn out, allowing for citizens (aka PCs) to quest for the cause of the wounding (to the land and the Eldritch Liege). Of course, if you leave it at 1d4 per day, then the PCs are in dire straits (money for nothing) and have a scant few days to find the holy grail before the land and king fail... :p

the Jester

Legend
rom90125 said:
I think the Con drain from Tied To The Land should be 1d4 per week...It still imposes the penalty but makes the damage more drawn out, allowing for citizens (aka PCs) to quest for the cause of the wounding (to the land and the Eldritch Liege). Of course, if you leave it at 1d4 per day, then the PCs are in dire straits (money for nothing) and have a scant few days to find the holy grail before the land and king fail... :p

At epic levels, 1d4 con drain per week is absolutely meaningless, unless I put in a "can't be fixed" clause (which I don't want to do).

Gregor

First Post
the Jester said:
but a few have risen from the ranks of the greatest bards...Spellcasting: Able to spontaneously cast 9th-level arcane spells.

Just curious, but how can a Bard ever qualify for this PrC? Bards can only cast up to 6th level spells.

Remove ads