• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Spell DCs

android

First Post
The ELH states that the DC for epic spells is 20 + Ability Mod. Which essentially boils down to 10 + 10 (the level of the spell) + Ability Mod.

It also states that you can raise the DCs by raising your Spellcraft DC to cast it.

My question is... since Epic Spells are spells and belong to schools just like any other spells, do things like Spell Focus and Spell Penetration apply to Epic Spells?

• If no, why not?
  • If yes, what about Epic Spells that use multiple seeds that place it squarely into 2 different schools like "Demise Unseen", page 76.

What about spell power effects? Archmage, for instance, can give bonuses to all your DCs. Do these affect Epic Spells? The spell power for Shadow Adept grants spell power to Necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment. How would a high level Shadow Adept with Spell Focus +3 from that class handle casting the Demise Unseen epic spell?

Of course, any references to actual rules are wonderful. Barring the availability of that, I would also love to hear speculation and opinions.

Begin! :)

Crothian

First Post
References, we don't need any stinking references. Actually I have none to support what I'm posting, but the other way of stating it sounds better.

I say that feats and spell power abilities should apply. I also think that spells of multiple seeds should have all the feats they can apply to them. Why? Cause these are epic spells. They need to be powerful. We already know that the DCs for Epic Spells are way to low.

gvbezoff

First Post
I would say, yes, Spell Focus et al should apply to epic spells. As for which school an epic spell with multiple seeds belongs to, the text is quite explicit. You, and your DM, must determine which seed is the "primary" seed of that spell, which will determine the school of the epic spell. No multiple school sloppiness is permitted. However, all of the DESCRIPTORS (Fire, Mind Affecting, etc) of all of the seeds do attach to the epic spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads