• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Spell DCs

The Lone Badger

First Post
Looking through the Epic Level Handbook, some of the spellcraft DCs for the pregen spells don't seem to agree at all with the system given. Take Epic Spell Reflection for example:

Seed DC 27. Reflects up to 9th level spells (+160). Range is already touch, so no need to modify. Permanent (x5). Total 935.

Mitigating factors: Increase Casting Time by 10 minutes (-20). Increase casting time by 41 days (-82). Burn 7500xp (-75). Total spellcraft DC of 860, but the one given in the book is 68.

Maybe the Permanent modifier is applied after the mitigating factors? This produces a DC of 50, also not agreeing. Maybe the multiplier only applies to the seed? This gives a DC of 118.

Verdigris Tide has a similar problem, by the rules in the book it has a four-digit DC. Others match the rules exactly. Is this just an error and the erronous spells removed (if you follow the rules they are useless)?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The Lone Badger said:
Looking through the Epic Level Handbook, some of the spellcraft DCs for the pregen spells don't seem to agree at all with the system given.

I'm not sure that even half of the spells have the correct DC by the given system.

Hardhead

Explorer
CRGreathouse said:
I'm not sure that even half of the spells have the correct DC by the given system.

You're trying to use the Epic Handbook in a consistent and balanced manner? I tried that once. Soon, you're optimism will be crushed into cynical disdain for the epic rules. Soooooooon :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads