• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Spell Resistance Items

Krafen

First Post
The Mantle of Epic Spell Resistance gives SR 40 and lists a market price of 290,000 gp. By the DMG, the price for SR items is ((SR-12)*10,000). This would give a cost of 280,000 gp for a SR 40 item. If it's an epic item, the cost should by x10.

My question is, at what point does SR become Epic?

Competence bonuses are Epic at +31
Enhancement bonuses to Ability Scores are Epic at +8
Both of the above bonuses have caps listed in the DMG, so when the cap is exceeded, the item becomes Epic. There is no cap for SR listed in the DMG.

hong

WotC's bitch
Non-epic items are generally limited to 200,000 gp market price, using the formulae in the DMG. For an item that provides SR, that means it would be limited to SR 32. If you want any more, you'll have to make it epic.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Personally I think they mispriced that item.

IIRC, a mantle of spell resistance 32 costs 200K gp. So one of 40 (if and only if we assumed the DMG rules scaled) would cost 280,000.

However, since the cost is 200K+, we use epic rules, and instead of multiplying the above by 10, they added 10K gp. So I think the real market price is supposed to be 2.8 Million gp.

That sound right others?

Crothian

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:

However, since the cost is 200K+, we use epic rules, and instead of multiplying the above by 10, they added 10K gp. So I think the real market price is supposed to be 2.8 Million gp.

That sound right others?

Yes, it does

Marshall

First Post
Crothian said:

and the DMG does not cap skill bonuses at +30. Thats the ELH too.

2.9Mgp!?! Gee, by the time I can get it every spellcaster will auto beat it.

SR is waaayyyyy overpriced. In the DMG and the ELH.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Actually, it looks like the items don't use the Epic multiplier for really expensive items, just for items that exceed normal limitations. For example, many of the rings cost more than 200k and so require the Epic creation feat and use the epic XP cost, but aren't muliplied by 10. Take the Rings of Universal Elemental Resistance, both major and minor. One's epic, one's not, and there's less than 100k between the costs. Similarly, the Boots of Swiftness or whatever cost 256k, above the normal max and requiring the epic feat, but not incuring the 10x cost penalty.

kreynolds

First Post
Hammerhead has it right. An item is not multiplied by 10 if it's price is over 200,000k. Doesn't work like that. Having the price over 200,000k simply means that it's an epic item, thus you need epic item creation feats to make it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads