• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic spellcaster growth

Hecateus

First Post
DMG 3.5e pg 207 para 1:
* For spellcasters, caster level continues to increase after 20th level. Thus, a 23rd-level wizard casts as a 23rd-level character, while a 24th -levlel papdin's caster level is 12th (one-half her class level). However,a character's spells perday don't increase after 20th level,

okey by 20th level, do they mean charcter level? or Class level? in other words if I have a multiclass thief-wizard 10/10, when gaining epic level 21,and chooses the wizard epic level, is she stuck casting the number of spells per day of a tenth level wizard?
..or can she grow the #spells/day until the equivalent of 20th level is acquired? Can I get 20 level of #spells/day in both Arcane and Divine?

neoweasel

First Post
I have always interpreted that to mean after Caster Level 20 (or, for 1/2 caster classes, Caster Level 10), you gain no more spells. I don't see that it makes an enormous level of difference. At the level where you can start having Caster Level 20 in multiple classes, it makes little difference (Woo-Hoo! I can cast massive quantities of spells that can't get past SR for the majority of the monsters I'm fighting! Woo-Hoo!)

Pax

Banned
Banned
20 levels in the particular class granting that form of spellcasting. A Paladin(10)/Sorceror(10) who advances to 21st character level by selecting a level of Sorceror (becoming a Paladin(10)/Sorceror(20), does gain new spells-per-day -- as an 11th level Sorceror.

Remove ads