• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Suggestions for a 35th level tank

molonel

First Post
I am building a 35th level epic evil character for the continuation of 3-year epic campaign which we are restarting.

Here is the build:

Dwarf (Planar Warden template from Monte Cook's Beyond Countless Doorways, ECL +5)
Fighter 4, Monk 2
Blackguard 3 (3.5 DMG), Pious Templar 4 (Complete Divine), Planar Champion 4 (Manual of the Planes), Ur Priest 10 (Complete Divine), Warrior of Darkness 3 (Book of Vile Darkness).

Total ECL = 35

We are using 32 point buy for stats.

1. What ways can a character who is a dwarf (medium size) become a Large creature permanently?

I know there is a feat in Sean K. Reynold's Anger of Angels, if you are an angel (Large Angelsize, or something like that). You could also go the feat-intensive route if you are a divine caster who can cast Righteous Might, and take Persistent Spell, Tenacious Magic - Righteous Might and Expanded Spell Capacity.

2. What ways are there to expand damage-dealing potential? I know that is a very open-ended question, but so far I have the character's strength (with items, inherent bonuses, etc.) up to 54. I have Epic Divine Might, which will add triple my charisma bonus as damage when I burn a turning attempt. I have Weapon Specialization and Epic Weapon Specialization. I can't take Greater Weapon Specialization. Taking levels of Kensai (from the Complete Warrior) isn't worth it, and taking levels of Barbarian or Frenzied Berserker doesn't fit the character concept, which is Lawful. The character will have Smite Good (from levels of Blackguard) and Smite (from levels of Pious Templar).

Any other suggestions?

CyberSpyder

First Post
Well, for 1, you could have Enlarge Person cast on you, followed by Permanency by a spellcaster with the feat Tenacious Magic - Permanency.

Arguably, that would have to be the other way around, but whatever, it amounts to the same thing in the end.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Crazy Troll Action

Here is a tip that my friend actually used during his last game.

You could ally your dwarf with a mage who has the Craft Contingency feat, and hook up him with the following buffs:

1. As soon as he draws a weapon, he transforms into a War Troll (from Monster Manual III).

2. As soon as his first contingency goes off, Tenser's Transformation goes off.

Last edited:

Bryan898

First Post
2. Take something that will give you plenty of AoO's to increase your damage, since every AoO is at your highest BAB and is a free attack. Take feats like Combat Reflexes, Epic Combat Reflexes, and Karmic Strike (Complete Warrior).

Get a speed weapon.

Why have you increased the Strength so high when you could have increased the Cha that high instead? Since it's being added to damage x3 anyway, and your saves it seems like the better option to me. A 54 Cha would give you +51 damage, +17 saves, turn undead 20 times per day, and +17 to your attack during smites, allowing for a full power attack.

Pyrex

First Post
Because a War Troll is a [Giant] not a [Humanoid].

Enlarge Person specifies a "Target: One Humanoid Creature".

A War Troll is not a [Humanoid], therefore it's not an eligible target for the spell.

The one thing you need to make sure of is that you can penetrate as many kinds of DR as possible. When I've built epic fighterish characters I've accomplished this by taking "Penetrate DR: Silver", "Penetrate DR: Cold Iron" and using an Adamantine weapon.

Wavestone

Explorer
Actually, a War Troll isn't a [Giant], it is a [Monstrous Humanoid]... :uhoh:

Why? beats me.. I think it is so they can have better BAB and saves for their HD than the Giant type allows.

Remove ads