• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Vow of Poverty

sparxmith

First Post
A couple of months ago, a small thread came up about the Vow of Poverty and Epic lvls. The main thrust of the post was that the Vow of Poverty lost is usefulness at epic levels because of the amount and power of epic level items.

Here's my offering to correct the problem. I based it off the original progression, with a few new abilities, including spell like abilites, to match the epic power scale. I've also changed Exalted feats to Epic feats.

21st Level: AC bonus + 11, Resistance + 4, True Strike once per day, Spell immunity to one first level spell of your choice.

22nd Level: Bonus Epic Feat, True Strike 3/day, Spell immunity to one first or second level spell of your choice. You may create a Gate once per day as a Sorceror with caster level 20. This gate can only be used for travel, not for summoning.

23rd level: Natural Armor +3, Spell Immunity to a single spell 1st-3rd level of your choice, Empty Body as per the monk ability.

24th level: Bonus Epic Feat, AC bonus + 12, Ability Score Enhancement 10/8/6/4/2, Deflection +4, Spell immunity to one spell 1st-4th level, Immune to scrying of any type.

25th level: Energy Resistance 20, Damage Reduction 20/epic, Resistance +5, Spell immunity to one spell 1st-5th level.

26th level: Bonus Epic Feat, Spell immunity to one spell 1st-6th level

27th level: AC bonus +13, Spell immunity to one spell 1st-7th level

28th level: Bonus Epic Feat, Ability Score Enhancement 12/10/8/6/4/2, Spell immunity to one spell 1st-8th level

29th level: Resistance +6, Spell immunity to any one spell of your choosing

30th level: Bonus Epic Feat, Damage Reduction 25/-, AC bonus + 14, spell immunity ot any one spell of your choosing. Once per year, the character may use a Wish spell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's as far as I progressed it. All of the enhancements are cyclical and so can be carried on indefinitely. The spell immunity is cummulative. Once a spell is chosen, the character is forever immune to it. Wishes do not accumulate, and its one wish from birthday to birthday. And, at 40th level, and every 10 levels thereafter, the character gets another wish per year.

What do you guys think? Too powerful? Underpowered? IMC, I have a player who has a monk w/ VOP at 17th level. Pretty shortly he'll be using this, and I wanted to get feedback before he got to it.

Thanx,

Sparxmith

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Sounds OK.

What are your plans for the holy urine feat at Epic levels? As it stands, it's a worse piece of design than the VoP: the higher the opponent's Cha, the more damage it takes. This could seriously deadly at Epic levels: have you given that some thought?

Navior

First Post
I think this looks really good.

I've just recently started a new campaign in which one PC has taken the Vow of Poverty feat, so this progression could come in useful eventually. Of course, the PCs are still 1st level at the moment, so it'll be a while before I need it. :)

sparxmith

First Post
Derulbaskul said:
What are your plans for the holy urine feat at Epic levels? As it stands, it's a worse piece of design than the VoP: the higher the opponent's Cha, the more damage it takes. This could seriously deadly at Epic levels: have you given that some thought?

Hmmm....I must be misunderstanding the Ravage. I was under the impression that it was a pretty mild effect considering the save on it is DC 14, which all the NPC's and baddies already laugh at. I'll have to go look it up. Thanks for pointing it out.

Lord Kain

First Post
you really shouldn't add powers they didn't get before. Vow of Poverity is like having a second set of class abilities. They shouldn't hole new powers. The bonus exalted feats become epic is ok. Also giving them monk powers is really stupid because nine times out of ten what class do you think has the vow of poverity?

Gort

Explorer
sparxmith said:
Hmmm....I must be misunderstanding the Ravage. I was under the impression that it was a pretty mild effect considering the save on it is DC 14, which all the NPC's and baddies already laugh at. I'll have to go look it up. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thing is, DC 14 is still a 5% chance to hit, and when monks are attacking six times in a round, it stacks up...

Remove ads