• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Equality in the DnD world

Are men and women equal in your world?

• Men have the "power"

Votes: 50 14.0%
  • Women have the "power"

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Men and women are equal

Votes: 153 42.9%
  • It is a case-by-case basis

Votes: 195 54.6%

• Poll closed .

Palskane

First Post
This will obviously vary greatly by DM, but I see nothing in the rules about how men and women are treated in the game worlds.

This argument came up after I complimented a female players swordskill. I called her a swordmaster. Unexpectedly she retorted with, "I am a swordmistress. A woman cannot be a swordmaster, or really, a master of anything in a medieval world."

Whuh?!

She went on to explain how women are second-class citizens in the Realms. I pointed out the Simbul, the Seven Sisters... and there are many more. I have yet to get an answer for that. I also pointed out that since she is a paladin, a champion of her god and her city, she certainly is equal to men.

I was floored by this, as every DnD game I have played in most men and women are considered equal. This varies of course, but certainly among PC's. She seems to be taking this personally, and everything would be fine if she pulled me aside and said that she realized it was just a compliment and this argument is all OOC. But she certainly seems a mite touchy to me.

Anyways, what are your general experiences in regards to equality of the sexes in your DnD world? What about equality between PC's of different sexes?

Case-by-case basis.

The Witches run Rashemen, and men are second-class citizens, good only for acting as bodyguards to the witches.

Thay is a true magocracy, where only magical might and personal power matter.

There are amazonian tribes, there are strict patriarchies.

It varies by region.

JimAde

First Post
My world is completely egalitarian. I know this is unrealistic (from a historical perspective) but so are fireballs and I allow those. :)

By the same token, nobody will "go easy" on a foe just because she is a woman, nor will "good guy" militaries treat male and female non-combatants any differently.

Having said all that, the majority of warrior-types are male through simple preference.

Aaron L

Hero
I'd hardy say women are second class citizens in the Realms. Women are played up so much there it's not even a real question.

In my setting, its totally a matterof culture. Barbaric cultures tend to be male dominated, civilized ones tend to be more equal, because raw strength, where men are dominant, doesnt matter as much as intelligence, which is distributed equally.

Palskane

First Post
But surely male and female PC's are treated equally in the group? This is how this argument is taking place. One PC to another.

If male and female PC's have been treated differently, how did that affect the game?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I wouldn't exactly say that women are second-class citizens within my campaigns, though men tend to dominate secular and religious offices. I guess the best way I could explain it is how women are treated in Eddings Belgariad or Elinium. King trumps Queen, but the women are strong characters who often run things for their husbands. But men, by far, make up the armies and militia roles.

There will always be a place in my heart for the wise, knowing female character. In fact, in my newly started campaign, the two really insightful NPCs guiding the PCs are women.

Alensande

First Post
My partner and I take turns GMing and playing in the Realms. We base issues of gender on the locale (as someone noted, Rasheman is matriarchal, Thay based on magic power, and Amn is merchantile power), with notes that religion plays a large part in either perpetrating or perpetuating gender roles and restrictions, as does the security situation in an area.

I wouldn't worry too much about your friend; she sounds like she has some gender-insecurities of her own to deal with and limited experience from which to work. Either you know you're playing a character (especially a paladin) and step into the restrictions around that character with a willingness to explore, or you make a new character. And I don't think she's read enough on the Realms to know what she's talking about; as has been pointed out, female characters have a LOT of power and influence all over the Realms.

frankthedm

First Post
The male / female bodymass difference does not penalize individual's ability scores, but it does affect how many NPCs of which gender are stronger overall.

The real world human behavorial 'quirks' are present in the humans of my Game world, sometimes they are even recognized. stockholm syndrome = "OrcHome"

These coupled with the fact the gods task females with bearing children means that the deck is loaded against them for what we think of as 'equality'. But it normally is a "back burner" issue.

Last edited:

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
I've noted over time that it seems everyone in a position of power in my world is a woman. I'm a feminine superiorist in real life, so its likely just my own bias manifesting subconsciously.

Remove ads