• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Equipping a 2nd level Warmage

schporto

First Post
I don't think warmages get any of the spells really for enhancing armor. Or does creating armor no longer require Mage Armor?

I would definately go for the buckler, the big reason being you'll end up in ranged combat more often (well that or dead). And the buckler works better for ranged combatants. Skip the masterwork on one of your armor things though. Put it on a ranged weapon. That's ~600. Still leaves you with ~300 to buy standard items.
-cpd

fett527

First Post
schporto said:
I don't think warmages get any of the spells really for enhancing armor. Or does creating armor no longer require Mage Armor?

I would definately go for the buckler, the big reason being you'll end up in ranged combat more often (well that or dead). And the buckler works better for ranged combatants. Skip the masterwork on one of your armor things though. Put it on a ranged weapon. That's ~600. Still leaves you with ~300 to buy standard items.
-cpd

I won't be taking craft arms and armor. I have some plans in store for craft wondrous item.

Buckler seems to be the way to go, I was just trying to save a little coin.

Yig

First Post
Hi fett.

I'm currently playing an epic warmage (26) and it has been a blast (haha, get it?).

I started at level 9 so some of what I say won't apply for now.

A few tips...

Get a mithral chainmail. Light armor. Mobility is your friend.

Use a buckler. You can still cast spells with a buckler and a weapon.

For stats: low Str, high Dex, Int & Cha.

Use a one handed weapon. Any, really. It dosen't matter. You need a weapon to threaten. If you need to swing it, you're screwed. Later, get a Defending weapon and use it to bump your AC. I never used my weapon. I don't even know what my attack bonus is in melee :)

Max your Tumble skill. Why? With your high AC you can help your fighter buddy flank a foe and you can use it to move out of a tight spot. GMW on your weapon means +5 to your AC.

PBS and PS are useful at low level.

Get Improved Warmage Edge as soon as possible.

Once you get your level 4 spells, Orbs will be your friends.

You should really play it as a ranged fighter.

My DM let me research an improved version of True Strike. It is basically True Strike that can be casted as a swift action but take a level 4 slot.

Do you have a "real" caster in the group?

Want to know something in particular?

fett527

First Post
Things I always planned on:

-Ranged attacks
-low strength (planned on using Fists f Stone a lot for melee at low levels)
-int (damage bonus),cha (spells), and dex (ranged touch attacks) as high as I can get them
-playing a dwarf and plan on armoring up and not worrying about dex based skills
-this is also a non-standard dwarf that works with mechanical items- some differences in racial abilities that I can't spell out as we will likely turn this into a story hour and I always hate to ruin things for the readers. :)
-orb spells are great and would be the focus of his spellcasting most of the time

Does the edge damage bonus help enough at higher levels to make it viable to take the feat? Getting that extra damage at low-levels seems very effective, but not so much at higher levels.

There is a straight wizard in the party

And I will take any information your willing to part with.

Yig

First Post
Oh, didn't know you would be playing a dwarf. Then pick up a mithral plate :)

I say that the edge add about 15 points of damage. Might not seems like much, but hey, it's free damage. That get mutiplied by Empower.

If your DM allows it, take Empower and Easy Metemagic: Empower. The second feat reduce the cost of Empower by one. You can't get it to 0.

Energy Sub and Admixture are also good choices.

Won't bore you with what kind of damage I can do ;)

brehobit

Explorer
I've got a low-level warmage in the game I run. I'd make a few suggestions.

Don't forget about the disrupt undead cantrip at low levels. With your edge and perhaps extra edge this becomes really handy when you are running low on 1st level spells (which you will at 2nd level). He did more damage with this than his orb spells were doing against the last bad guy they fought. Even the acid cantrip (d3 damage I think?) is nice with the edge playing a role.

Extra edge is your friend at least upto 9th level (and I assume beyond, but I've never seen it in play after that). Compare it to weapon specialization. You can only use it once per spell (unlike a fighter) but it really is a no-brainer.

Obviously at higher levels a meta magic rod of quickening is really really nice.

Finally, while you can't take it until 6th level due to needing 4 ranks in knowledge(religion), the feat that lets you add a cleric's domain spells to your list is really handy. You do need a reasonable Wis though. It isn't as broken as some people here seem to think, (mainly due to the Wis requirement and the other limitations) but it is really handy. Some DMs let you play around with your class skill list, in which case you can take it at 1st level (and taking the healing domain is really useful at low levels. One CLW/day for d8+2 can really help, especially if the cleric is the one needing the healing....)

fett527

First Post
Yig said:
I say that the edge add about 15 points of damage. Might not seems like much, but hey, it's free damage. That get mutiplied by Empower.

15 points? How much does extra edge do again? Or do you have your int bumped pretty high? I'd like to see the numbers on this if you can.

Yig said:
If your DM allows it, take Empower and Easy Metemagic: Empower. The second feat reduce the cost of Empower by one. You can't get it to 0.

Not familiar with Easy Metamagic. Complete Arcane (I haven't read through it entirely)?

Yig said:
Energy Sub and Admixture are also good choices.

Defintely considering these later on.

fett527

First Post
brehobit said:
I've got a low-level warmage in the game I run. I'd make a few suggestions.

Don't forget about the disrupt undead cantrip at low levels. With your edge and perhaps extra edge this becomes really handy when you are running low on 1st level spells (which you will at 2nd level). He did more damage with this than his orb spells were doing against the last bad guy they fought. Even the acid cantrip (d3 damage I think?) is nice with the edge playing a role.

Defintiely remembering these spells at low-level because of the edge!

brehobit said:
Finally, while you can't take it until 6th level due to needing 4 ranks in knowledge(religion), the feat that lets you add a cleric's domain spells to your list is really handy. You do need a reasonable Wis though. It isn't as broken as some people here seem to think, (mainly due to the Wis requirement and the other limitations) but it is really handy. Some DMs let you play around with your class skill list, in which case you can take it at 1st level (and taking the healing domain is really useful at low levels. One CLW/day for d8+2 can really help, especially if the cleric is the one needing the healing....)

Well, this won't really work as I had to have a "dump" stat and wisdom was it. :(

mzsylver

Explorer
Potions Galore

Consider a Masterwork Potion Belt - drawing a potion/alchemist fire/acide as a free action is highly useful. Once you get the cash, pick up a Heward's Handy Haversack. This is a must have for every PC.

Good luck! =)

Yig

First Post
fett527 said:
15 points? How much does extra edge do again? Or do you have your int bumped pretty high? I'd like to see the numbers on this if you can.

Not familiar with Easy Metamagic. Complete Arcane (I haven't read through it entirely)?

Improved Edge gives you X+1/4 levels... Don't have CA with me right now.

My Int is bumped pretty high :) Late 20s. Cha at 36. I can give you full stats once Trainz is back from his vacation since my sheet is at his home.

As for the other feat, I think it is from an issue of Dragon. Don't know which one :(

Remove ads