• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

equivalancy table

DracoSuave

First Post
The point was that the difference between a 10 and a 7 isn't that much.

Sure it is. The difference between 10 and 13 is huge, given that one gives you nothing, and the other not only gives you a bonus to skill rolls but also qualifies you for feats based on that. Given that, 7 is an entire -2 modifier lower than 10 (which is, by the way, more than 10 to 13) and, given that your minimum is one score at eight, means you don't qualify for 'adventurer' in the rules.

So, to sum up.

13 means qualifying for a feat.
10 means average human (not average adventurer)
7 means not qualifying for anything at all.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
given that your minimum is one score at eight, means you don't qualify for 'adventurer' in the rules.

Maybe in your fanciful house rules, but not in DnD. It is entirely possible, although highly unlikely, to have a character with all 3s for stats and it is perfectly legal and "qualifies" them as an "adventurer."

DrSpunj

Explorer
Regicide said:
back in the day I was Arnold fricken Schwarzenegger
Maybe you can grow up to the governor of a very populated state as well! ;)

I allowed Nail in my game to drop his scores below 8 since one of my few house rules is "choose your ability scores, before applying racial adjustments your mod total must equal +9" which allows people to get what they want. Nail wanted his other abilities higher and was willing to roleplay a wise PC that doesn't come up with his own ideas too much (low Int) and follows the Leaders lead about 100% of the time (low Cha) but is still able to point out when a Leader or someone else is pointing out a course of action that may not be all that wise. His PC isn't very vocal except in the middle of combat and it's created a fun character that all of us enjoy. Thankfully, especially with my initial misgivings about his stats, it hasn't been difficult to deal with him in combat. He's effective as a Human Battleraging Fighter but clearly not overpowered compared to the other PCs.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Yup.

Role-playing can be done, after all. :lol:

Still, I find I have to work at it. It's often tempting to suggest a plan, or attempt to lead the party. Fortunately, in the other game I play a Warlord, so I can get all o' that out of my system before I play Nail.

Playing a low Int/ very low Chr is possible. Even fun!

JBeatnik

First Post
So after CharGen and my concerns voiced to the DM, he decided that there would be ramifications to ultra negative stats. The thing is, we've been having a major problem with people not roleplaying AT ALL, and one player even being vocally abusive towards those that do roleplay (LULZ LETS JUST KILL EM, Shut up b/c your wasting time talking), so until some players can actually put some effort into a character instead of a statsheet, we've decided that as a majority, we're against such munchkinism.

On the positive side, my DM set up a reward system for those that participate in various activities within the game, trying to grow players out of their little niche.

Rewards are given for: Combat Strategy, Roleplaying, Heroic Effort, Party Catalyst (gets the party to work together towards a goal), and Creativity. This is the opposite that it has been, b/c "the stick" of punishing antagonistic players hasn't worked, so "the carrot" is the next option.

Remove ads