• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Equivalencies of unique class 'skills'?

Driddle

First Post
Both the bard's "Bardic Knowledge" feature and the druid's (and ranger's) "Wild Empathy" feature are fundamentally equivalent to skills -- they're based on attributes (Int and Cha, respectively); improve by a single point each level (basically a dedicated skill point); and they're treated in the adventure scenario in much the same way as skills such as Knowledge or Diplomacy.

If you wanted to allow a character access to those exclusive skill-like features without requiring he take a level in the bard or druid classes, how would you work out an equivalent trade? What would he have to give up to gain the feature?

Also, a tangential question:

If we allow access to Wild Empathy (as a skill) via a special feat, which option would you prefer? 1. The character can use his Diplomacy skill on animals as well as people. 2. The character must develop a separate skill called "Wild Empathy" by assigning skill points (separate from Diplomacy).

Taryn

First Post
I'd say that allowing the character to take the skill as a cross-class skill that they'd have to put points into would probably work fine... mainly I'd allow that for reasons of character customization... a fighter who spent the first 18 years of life in the forest, or a wizard who, because of his Int 20 and Cha 18, just seemed to know everything about everybody. Stuff like that.

Frostflame

First Post
I would vouch for option two since otherwise a cleric with wild empathy and maxed out diplomacy (level +3) would be better at Wild Empathy than a druid (level) of the same level.
I have another idea: what if you make it like the classfeature and grant them 1 point in it when achieving the feat and giving them 1 additional point in it for each additional level they attain. In that case I would give the feats some kind of prerequisites though. For example 8 ranks in handle animal for Wild Empathy and 5 ranks in any two knowledge skills for Bardic Knowledge or something like that.
Just an idea though...

~FF

Ferret

Explorer
I could see the pseudo-skills working as feats, I wouldn't want to give them out willy nill though, and I would make them take skill point in Wild Empathy though.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
The two things you've mentioned are worth about a feat. I'd make sure any player that took them however would have to have a good in game reason for doing so and made have some ability requirements. I don't like the idea of just handing out class features with out some restriction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads