• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eratta for Assassin damaeg?

Rechan

Adventurer
In an interview with Mearls, Mearls said that the assassin for isntance wasn't doing enough damage compared to other strikers.

Did they errata that?

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Nope. They released a Dragon article in July with a bunch of feats that patch damage and let you transfer shrouds if your target happens to die before you get to invoke them. It's the standard feat tax approach. I'd give most of them for free to a player trying to build an assassin; he'd need them to stay competitive with other strikers in the party.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Nope. They released a Dragon article in July with a bunch of feats that patch damage and let you transfer shrouds if your target happens to die before you get to invoke them. It's the standard feat tax approach. I'd give most of them for free to a player trying to build an assassin; he'd need them to stay competitive with other strikers in the party.

Having seen an assassin in play they do plenty of damage, if they time it right and don't get unlucky/pich the wrong target. They tend to do it in big spikes, which can be a problem, but the feats really help them work out a bit better.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Having seen an assassin in play they do plenty of damage, if they time it right and don't get unlucky/pich the wrong target. They tend to do it in big spikes, which can be a problem, but the feats really help them work out a bit better.

It's not that they can't get big numbers, it's that they can't get consistent striker-level damage over the course of a fight. A well-made fighter will outdamage (single-target) a well-made assassin over the course of an encounter.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
It's not that they can't get big numbers, it's that they can't get consistent striker-level damage over the course of a fight. A well-made fighter will outdamage (single-target) a well-made assassin over the course of an encounter.

Can be true, I think the secret to the assassin is not worrying about getting high numbers of shrouds. Put 1 on and use it immediately seems to work quite well tbh. Then again I've only seen the assassin at Heroic, I could see them falling behind at paragon.

MrMyth

First Post

I'm not sure about that. The Assassin feels much like the Warlock - requiring a few feats to reach proper striker damage, but once there, gaining a solid boon from their focus on escaping harm (via teleporting, going invisible, etc.)

I think the shroud transfer feat addressed the biggest issue, and is probably the one worth giving to folks for free.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'm not sure about that. The Assassin feels much like the Warlock - requiring a few feats to reach proper striker damage, but once there, gaining a solid boon from their focus on escaping harm (via teleporting, going invisible, etc.)

*shrug* I'm not the one who crunched the numbers. Ask on the CharOp boards which striker they think has the lowest DPR.

Someone has to carry the red lantern... it just needs other abilities to compensate...
i have seen low level assasins in play, who did extremely well...

Xris Robin

First Post
Everything works at low level. The math generally works for everything below paragon. People who never play beyond level 10 need to stop trying to use this to say things work fine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads