Escape is Futile

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well, if your talking in-combat running away, yeah you be using these rules (with the obvious modifiers based on terrain).

But, for a actual, chase sequence. I don't plan on using them, I plan on making it a Skill Challenge instead.

But in general with both Skill Challenges and normal running, the way terrain is now used I imagine that will have a big impact on running away and less your actual speed.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Actually the conclusion is that you can't run away from somebody you are adjacent to who has 1 more move than you. If you are 1 square away from the opponent, it won't help that they can run and the charge. They will still be one square behind you. If the opponent runs right up to you, you get an OA against them. If they try to run around you, you can change direction.

I really don't see the problem...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
IceFractal said:
whereas previously you could run from anyone with less than double your speed.

Not really true even then.

In 3e you run (sucking up an AoO)
They then run up next to you

next turn
You run again (sucking up an AoO again)
They run up next to you.

You couldn't even run away from someone with the same speed in 3e without being attacked by them every round.

Ander00

First Post
Yeah, but generally you could fall back on a Dimension Door or Teleport to save your hide. Nowadays, you'd better have something ready to daze/slow/somehow else hinder your opponent with before making a run for it.
Not saying this is a good change or a bad one, just that the general dynamic of trying to escape has changed at all. And with the potential for a skill challenge chase scene, it could be good (if skill challenges actually worked like they should).

cheers

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Cover your escape by sacrificing the defender! :D

However, unlike 3E, you have some extra options: Use your slowing/immobilizing/pushing powers to get a bit of extra distance between you and your enemies and then run!

Cheers, LT.

Lord Tirian said:
Cover your escape by sacrificing the defender! :D
The real reason why Defenders get heavy armor and Dwarves are slow - to serve as a sacrifice when it's time to run away!

"I don't have to outrun the Dire Bear, Mr. Paladin. I just have to outrun you." said the Eladrin Ranger and fey-stepped over the 15 ft 3 square chasm...

vagabundo

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
The real reason why Defenders get heavy armor and Dwarves are slow - to serve as a sacrifice when it's time to run away!

"I don't have to outrun the Dire Bear, Mr. Paladin. I just have to outrun you." said the Eladrin Ranger and fey-stepped over the 15 ft 3 square chasm...

OT:

Ohh new feat you just inspired, kinda:

Fey Step Charge
Prerequities: Dex 13, Fey Step
Benefit: You gain the normal benefits of the charge and Combat Advantage due to surprise. You must move at least 2 squares, in the direction of the enemy, before using Fey Step Charge action.

Last edited:

Remove ads