• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Essential 4e: Heroes of the Forgotten Lands

JoJa

First Post
So I finally picked up a copy of this and the Rules Compendium this afternoon at my FLGS.

First, these books are hefty. I hadn't heard anyone say that before. They feel like they weigh as much as a PHB hardback. Well built, the spines of my books betray none of the weaknesses that we saw in some of the preview copies. (The wesdecker preview)

My first thought: Holy fluff Batman!

Seriously, pages and pages of it. The racial entries are a full 6 pages, and include roleplaying tips for each of the classes in the book, including non-optimal race/class combos. (For instance, Dwarven Rogues "tend to be the dungeoneers in their communities, using their stealth and skills to bring the wild underground reaches under control.") This is especially cool because the class builds presented in the book each include a section on the recommended, or "particularly good" races for each class.

That's a good thing for a new player to know, but I'm glad there's fluff to support non-optimal pairings so new players also know it's OK to be outside the norm to fit a character concept.

Also, each race entry includes a section on "Roleplaying a X" with tidbits from the importance of dwarven battlecries to the tendency of humans to seek power or glory. Interesting stuff.

P.S. The human mage illustration on page 276 is sweet.

I will try to get back on tonight and answer any leftover questions to help the thread. If my wife lets me. lol.

Nork

First Post
I've got the book. I really like it so far.

There are also a few neat things, like AoE spells that have a footprint of a "wall" instead of a burst or blast. There are some nice stuff like spells that daze and also prevent the target from charging.

I'm not going to spoil stats or specific mechanics.

I am however, going to spoil the heck out of the names of the new wizard spells (there are a few old friends in there).

Illusory Obstacles

Fountain of Flame

Instant Friends

Blissful Ignorance

Tasha's Forcible Conscription

Phantom Foes

Phantasmal Killer
Symphony of the Dark Court

Energy Devourer

Hold Monster
Twisting Lighting

Cone of Cold
Mental Maelstorm
Slumber of the Winter Court

Beneficnt Transformation

Dancing Flames
Mass Charm

Thought Cage
Wrath of Battle

Arcane Recall

Charm of False Heroism

Delayed Blast Fireball
Mind of Rage (hey look, a level 25 mage cast a spell on Primal!)

Phantasmal Dread

False Reality

Edit: I'll also add, that it is entirely possible to build a level 15 mage that will never pick up a d20 unless they want to roll a melee basic attack or make a saving throw. The wizard spells are sloppy with no attack rolls.

Last edited:

Nork

First Post
Sadly it appears Slimy Transformation did not make it into the Mage power options. That was one of the more flavorful spells in the Red Box. :/

I've not looked at the red box, but I would assume that if it is presented as a wizard spell, then it is a wizard spell.

shamsael

First Post
Hmmm... Would it be possible to rescue an ally from a grab by slide/push/pull him out of range?

Page 231 of the Rules Compendium specifically mentions that Teleporting, Sliding, Pushing or Pulling a grabbed ally is a good way to free him. You could also do the same to the grabber.

Actually, its pretty neat (at least to me it is). Its a close blast 5, deals 3d8 + Int on a hit, and as an EFFECT the target is immobilized and takes 5 ongoing cold damage (save ends both). It also has a special entry that if the power reduces a target to 0 HP they are petrified instead of being killed, which the caster can end a a minor action.

Hope that answers your question.

Nork

First Post
I'll toss this out from the book. It might have been mentioned before, but I don't recall that it was, and even so, I think its worth repeating.

Quote from the book:

Other Dungeons & Dragons supplements, including Dungeon & Dragons Insider, offer additional powers that you can choose from. Whenever you choose a new class power, you can select it from the list presented in this book or you can take a power of the same class, level, and type (attack or utility) from another source. For example, when your slayer reaches 2nd level, you could select a 2nd-level fighter utility power from a source other than this book or you could choose one of the 2nd level fighter utility powers in the "Knight" section of this book.

End quote

So you can mix and match as much as you like across all of the material. Of course, since essential fighters never gain a Fighter Attack 3 encounter power, they can't select a Fighter Attack 3 encounter power from PHB1 for example.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads