• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Essential 4e: Heroes of the Forgotten Lands

JoJa

First Post
Somewhat related to a putative Moon domain for Essentials clerics, does the book mention that other Domains are forthcoming? Does it mention anything about domains other than Sun and Storm?

It does not directly. It sorta infers it by saying, "Two such domains -- storm and sun-- are summarized below." But it doesn't mention that there are others or that there will be others in upcoming books.

shamsael

First Post
Help me out. In 4E, what level is Cone of Cold?

Level 15 Daily

It's a close blast 5

A cone would've been cool, but I don't think the Essentials book is the place for such a complicated concept. Remember that cones cover a different pattern of squares depending on which way they were aimed in 3e. If Essentials is presenting an easy to play flavour of D&D, cones have no place in it.

Nork

First Post
Quick question: The warpriest powers has domain keywords as the mage powers has school keywords?

No domain keywords on powers.

The Warpriest build has entries that states stuff like "You gain an encounter attack power associated with your domain (storm page 109, or sun page 115)."

However, the powers in the domain sections are Cleric Attack/Utility # powers.

I think RAW, if you want really wanted to "fight the power" and substitute any cleric encounter power of the same type and of equal or lesser level, I would think that would be legal.

So domains seem to be more like guidelines than rules.

Although IMO a DM would be well within their rights to treat the guidelines as rules. Or the DM could require the player to roleplay out their Warpriest's petitioning of their god to get a power outside of their domain. ("Ok, so give Pelor your pitch on why he should grant you an ice based prayer.")

mkill

Adventurer
Can somebody please check the Sneak Attack wording? Is it 1/round or 1/turn?

(My bad if this question has been answered already, it's hard to keep track of 22 pages, especially if the thread drifts offtopic.)

EDIT: Looks like the official Essentials update to the PHB is out!

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DNDessentials.pdf

This answers my question (it's indeed 1/turn) *gasp*

Last edited:

nnms

First Post
I got my compendium and my HoFL yesterday. I haven't read through both of them yet but my single largest impression would be that they are to be read.

I don't know if it's a single collumn thing or if they're just less boring, but I just find I want to read them page by page in a way I never have with a PHB.

Especially the class sections. The way everything you get is organized by level just makes it all flow so nicely.

And the 6 pages per race. Excellent.

EDIT: I also like Master of Arms -- +1 feat bonus to hit with all weapon attacks. Nice and simple.

Remove ads