• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Dice Set vs. Premium Dice = WTF?

Emertinel

First Post
Okay, so I'm new to the forums, and although this isn't really about 4e, but heck, everyone's talking about Essentials and I'm talking about an essentials product, so I guess that works out for me. So, today, I was looking up all the Essentials products when I saw the essentials dice. Well, compared to the Premium dice, this is a stupid deal. Why?

Essentials Dice: 1 d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and a d20 and a dice bag = 12.99

Premium Dice: 1 d4, d6, d8, percentile die, d10, d12, and a d20 + dice bag = 12.49

Why are you giving away less for more money. Or, that's just why it's called premium dice.

Whether this thread is pointless or not, I find this really retarded. 1 less die for an extra $0.50? No way, WotC! Feel free to flame me for the stupidity of this thread.

EDIT: removed a lot of bad things I said. Also, the fact that there are actually 4d6 really cleared it up for me.

Last edited:

You can get dice for as low as $4 at your local game store. Some dice just are most expensive, ranging from basic opaque dice all the way up to translucent borealis. I'd support your brick and mortar shop over amazon.

AngryMojo

First Post
Plus you get the dice bag, which counts for some of the cost.

Seriously though, I've seen dice sets go for much, much higher than $13.

Incendax

First Post
Because WotC does not care about selling dice, but if you want to pay them enough to make it worth their while then they will do so.

Seriously, this kind of marketing behavior is everywhere you look. Not every product sold by a company is intended to be sold at a competitive price.

the Jester

Legend
Perhaps they are higher-quality dice?

Maybe the bad is exceptional (rather than just another Crown Royal bag)?

Who knows? I'd compare the two products side-by-side before passing judgment. Either way, if cost is the issue, the bag is free (with a bottle of Crown- cheaper than 6 drinks at the bar!) and you can get a pretty cheap set of bones at your FLGS.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Okay, so I'm new to the forums, and although this isn't really about 4e, but heck, everyone's talking about Essentials and I'm talking about an essentials product, so I guess that works out for me. So, today, I was looking up all the Essentials products when I saw the essentials dice. Well, compared to the Premium dice, this is a stupid deal. Why?

Essentials Dice: 1 d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and a d20 and a dice bag = 12.99

Premium Dice: 1 d4, d6, d8, percentile die, d10, d12, and a d20 + dice bag = 12.49

kay what the hell is WotC thinking. Why the :):):):) are you giving away less for more money. WotC is purely evil! Or, that's just why it's called premium dice.

Also WHY IN HELL IS IT $13 FOR DICE?! On amazon, it costs around $7 for a set of dice. So, the bag costs $6?

Whether this thread is pointless or not, I find this really retarded. 1 less die for an extra $0.50? No way, WotC! What the hell is wrong with you? Feel free to flame me for the stupidity of this thread.
A few minor corrections for you. The MSRP for the Premium Dice Set is 12.95, but yes it is one die more. Both the Premium and Essentials dice sets have 4d6, so it is for a set of 10 or 9 dice plus dice bag. And dice prices have gone up in the past 2 years.
The MSRP for a set of similarly styled dice from Chessex is $9.80 for 7 dice, no bag. That's $1.40 per die.

JoJa

First Post
Does 4E even use percentile dice anymore? I've not seen it anywhere. In fact, no percentile dice are displayed in the PHB1 page 8, or the HotFL page 14. Maybe they just don't want new players to open their new dice bag and ask "What the **** do I use this for? It's not even in the book!";)

Remove ads