• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Essentials isn't 4.5e, but is 4e as we know it over?

keterys

First Post
Not really. There's a huge portion of the audience who will just _not_ want to do melee basics all day long, every day.

I love my Fighter, but I'll probably never play a Knight.

MrMyth

First Post
Possibly. I just think it's too hard to tell without seeing all the bells and whistles available to enhance those melee basics.

What do you mean? I can tell you right now, there will be tons of players that like this guy, and tons that won't ever touch him. None of the specific details are going to remotely change that - unless they get a level 3 stance that says, "Any enemy you hit dies instantly". But we just aren't going to see anything like that - I'm sure the power level will remain on par with everything else.

It is just a different style of approach - an interesting one, that will appeal to some, but certainly not everyone. Not a chance this will supplant the PHB fighter.

What do you mean? I can tell you right now, there will be tons of players that like this guy, and tons that won't ever touch him. None of the specific details are going to remotely change that - unless they get a level 3 stance that says, "Any enemy you hit dies instantly". But we just aren't going to see anything like that - I'm sure the power level will remain on par with everything else.

It is just a different style of approach - an interesting one, that will appeal to some, but certainly not everyone. Not a chance this will supplant the PHB fighter.

Be careful when saying "not a chance" before seeing everything.

Versatility has value. Lets say that the knight has completely equal raw power to the regular fighter. They are even on the power scale.

These two guys both go Wheel of Fortune and both manage to win 10,000 in prizes. They have won an equal amount of stuff but because each of them signed different agreements the regular fighter must spend his cash in the encounter and daily prize lounge. The knight gets to take his cash and put it on a gift certificate good for 10,000 worth of general ass kicking to be spent as desired.

I would give that at least a chance. YMMV.

MrMyth

First Post
Be careful when saying "not a chance" before seeing everything.

Versatility has value. Lets say that the knight has completely equal raw power to the regular fighter. They are even on the power scale.

These two guys both go Wheel of Fortune and both manage to win 10,000 in prizes. They have won an equal amount of stuff but because each of them signed different agreements the regular fighter must spend his cash in the encounter and daily prize lounge. The knight gets to take his cash and put it on a gift certificate good for 10,000 worth of general ass kicking to be spent as desired.

I would give that at least a chance. YMMV.

It may supplant it for some people, but that's my point - I see no possibility that this will make all players, or even the bulk of them, stop playing PHB1 fighters. Just like the Beastmaster Ranger didn't stop Archer Rangers, or the Runepriest stop people playing Clerics.

Unless there is something actually gamebreaking in their abilities - which I don't expect to see - I'll stand by my prediction. Many will like this build, but it won't result in the standard fighter vanishing from play, or even being sidelined.

I would even say that there are players out there, who would stick to the old fighter, even if the newer one was gamebreaking...

Not everyone is concerned about milking an extra 5% damage out of every build...

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I'm not reading 10+ pages, just here to make a comment that others may have made ad infinitum and if I'm rehashing I apologize.

I trust the 4e team to not unbalance the game based on what happened with the core books. Psionics aside (and even then only beyond heroic tier) the system is sound.

From what I've seen of the heroic tier fighter, I'd consider customizing my game world character classes around specific entities (like knightly orders) using essentials based logic sort of like kits. That being said, I'm not worried about changes to the game system or the death of 4e core classes because most of my players want more flexibility to determine what their character is, not less, and most if not all of the new players or casual players I've seen will want something like the essentials classes.

My opinion is that people need to cool their jets and just play the game. If you spent money on books and are feeling slighted, the spend is now a sunk cost and you're playing a game you like. If you're excited about the essentials line and want to chat about it, that's awesome.. do so.. but do it and post about it with the understanding that you don't know what you're talking about yet.

(unless you're Mearls.. in which case.. enjoy telling us stuff :) )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads