• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Mage: Observations

spayne

First Post
DMG page 40, Legitimate Targets section, says that you cannot hit a target to gain an effect unless the target is a meaningful threat.

Unless your ally is dominated, you are probably breaking that rule if you use Hypnotism on them.

Aegeri

First Post
Yeah, when powers say "Enemies" or "Allies" in the target line it's there for a reason. You can't just randomly choose to change your allies into enemies for powers and vice versa. Hence why the change of the power from "creature" to "enemy" is a significant change to how it functions: Not merely a cosmetic one.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
DMG page 40, Legitimate Targets section, says that you cannot hit a target to gain an effect unless the target is a meaningful threat.

Unless your ally is dominated, you are probably breaking that rule if you use Hypnotism on them.
By that logic then, no area spell would effect an ally if they're caught in the zone, making my druid's "target creature" AoEs much more party friendly. I don't have to worry about sliding them, limiting their movement, or knocking them prone.

Rex Blunder

First Post
Even if used as intended, Hypnotism is really thematic for jedi-style enchanter wizards. It actually makes me want to play a wizard for the first time in years. So different from yet another attack with a push effect.

Underpowered though? The fact that it requires two attack rolls to do any damage - even if one is at +4 - makes me think that it might be a trap.

Aegeri

First Post
Even if used as intended, Hypnotism is really thematic for jedi-style enchanter wizards. It actually makes me want to play a wizard for the first time in years. So different from yet another attack with a push effect.

Underpowered though? The fact that it requires two attack rolls to do any damage - even if one is at +4 - makes me think that it might be a trap.

It's not a trap so much as it is situational. Some monster melee basic attacks are simply amazing, because they either do considerable damage, have strong riders/effects (stun for example) or they get multiple attacks out of one melee basic. So depending on the monster it's exceptionally good or exceptionally poor. Minions for example it's basically worthless on.

Remove ads