• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials: Magic items for characters starting above L1?

Pyrex

First Post
I've only had a few minutes to flip through a copy of HotFL, but I didn't see this addressed.

How many/rarity magic items should characters starting above L1 have access to?

Before rarity, it was an L+1 item, an L item, an L-1 item and GP equal to an L-1 item.

Falstaff

First Post
There is nothing about this in Heroes of the Fallen Lands (or the Rules Compendium). I'm hoping to see something in the DM's Kit.

captainspud

First Post
You'll have to use the rules in the DMG.
As a stopgap measure until the DM's Kit comes out, I'd say to use the old rules (three magic items of L-1, L, and L+1), with one item Uncommon and the other two Common, assuming you plan to use the new equipment rules.

abyssaldeath

First Post
As a stopgap measure until the DM's Kit comes out, I'd say to use the old rules (three magic items of L-1, L, and L+1), with one item Uncommon and the other two Common, assuming you plan to use the new equipment rules.

My idea was to use a different variation of the old rules.

Three magic items of L-1, L, L+1 uncommon items and L-1 gold that you can spend on common items. DM can allow you to swap out an uncommon for a rare.

Mika

First Post
A potential problem with revising the rules for starting characters above first level is that we do not have enough common items yet if any of the three initial items have to be common items. I would probably go with letting the level +1, level, and level -1 items all be uncommon until the new rule "officially" comes out, by which time there will be enough common items to follow whatever the new rule is.

luide

First Post
There are more than enough common items currently that the +1, level, -1 would work even with all items being common.
Main problem is that the list would be extremely similar between different characters of same level until more common items are published.

Edit: the above text is wrong, it only works on certain levels.

I wouldn't allow 3 uncommons for starting character, as in play only half of the items you'd get from treasure would be uncommon.
Unfortunately it's hard to give out 1.5 uncommon magic items so I'd personally give the player choice:
level+1 item can be uncommon OR level and level-1 items can be uncommon

Below is the list of common armor/neck slot/weapon/implements (items required by 4e math).

4 armors:
Black Iron Armor (4) (scale, plate)
Magic Armor (1) (any)
Sylvan Armor (3) (cloth, leather, hide)
Veteran’s Armor (2) (any)

4 neck slot items:
Amulet of Protection (1)
Elven Cloak (7) (note, no level 2 equivalent)
Safewing Amulet (3)
Collar of Recovery (4)

3 weapons:
Defensive Weapon (2) (any)
Magic Weapon (1) (any)
Vicious Weapon (2) (any)

15 Implements: (of which 7 are basic)
Magic Orb (1)
Magic Staff (1)
Utility Staff (2)
Defensive Staff (2)
Magic Wand (1)
Magic Tome (1)
Magic Rod (1)
Rod of Dark Reward (2)
Rod of Hope Triumphant (2)
Magic Holy Symbol (1)
Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (4)
Symbol of Vigor (7)
Magic Totem (1)
Autumn Harvest Totem (2)
Pure Spirit Totem (5)

19 misc. items and 4 potions.

Last edited:

Mika

First Post
There are more than enough common items currently that the +1, level, -1 would work even with all items being common.
Main problem is that the list would be extremely similar between different characters of same level until more common items are published.

No, there are not more than enough items if you want to give out items of the exact levels indicated in the DMG for characters above first level.

To start with, we can disregard the potions -- they are far less valuable than permanent magic items of the same level.

Basic magic items cover first level and every five levels thereafter. Most of the listed items are in this category.

Of the non-basic magic items, only the Safewing Amulet is usable by all characters. That item covers third level and every five levels thereafter.

Some characters may have options at 2nd, 4th, or 5th levels, but many will not. A player character starting out at 4th level may very well have the Safewing Amulet as the only level appropriate common magic item that he can use.

luide

First Post
No, there are not more than enough items if you want to give out items of the exact levels indicated in the DMG for characters above first level.
Checking the relative levels of magic items I have to agree with you. There needs to be at least one uncommon item allowed.

The important thing is to make sure that armour/neck/weapon implements do always fit on the +1, 0, -1 progression.

Lets check it for 2-5 for basic character types:

Light armour (1,2,3),weapon (1,2), neck, (1,3,4,7):
Level 2: Sylvan armour (3), Defensive/Vicious weapon (2), Amulet Protection (1). There exists also (1), (2), (3) and (2), (1), (3) options for this build.
Level 3: Sylvan armour (3), Defensive/Vicious weapon (2), collar of recovery (4)
Level 4,5,6: Lacks level 5 item (but can buy the missing armour/neck/weapon with gold)

Heavy armour (1,2,4),weapon (1,2),neck(1,3,4): (armors are
Level 2: Easy. You have options of doing (1),(2),(3), (2),(1),(3), (3),(2),(1) and (3),(1),(2)
Level 3: Black Iron armour (4),Defensive/Vicious weapon (2), safewing amulet (3). Note: Doesn't work for chain users.
Level 4,5,6: lacks level 5 item (but can buy the missing armour/neck/weapon with gold)

Implement users on other hand will be safted, if they don't use staff, rod, totem or holy symbol.
Light armour (1,2,3), implement (1), neck, (1,3,4)
Level 2: Veterans armour (2), magic implement (1), Safewing amulet(3). Gets more options if uses staff, rod or totem
Level 3: Not doable unless uses staff, rod, totem or holy symbol
Level 4,5,6: lacks level 5 item (but can buy the missing armour/neck/implement with gold) Exception: For Totem users these levels work too.

Of the non-basic magic items, only the Safewing Amulet is usable by all characters. That item covers third level and every five levels thereafter.

Some characters may have options at 2nd, 4th, or 5th levels, but many will not. A player character starting out at 4th level may very well have the Safewing Amulet as the only level appropriate common magic item that he can use.
I assume when you say usable, you mean useful. Levels 4,5 and 6 are the problems with common items as there are no common level 5 armor/weapon/neck slot items. And only level 5 common implement is a totem.

I have to check the rest of the common item list to see how many level 3-5 items there are and how many of them are usable for all builds to do proper analysis.

But after doing quick check I have to agree, DM needs to give out one uncommon item at least. Or we need to get level 2-5 common items for all required magic items. Preferably both.

Remove ads