• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials/ Red Box confusion

MrGrenadine

Explorer
I'd like to pick up the Red Box for my son, but I'm a bit confused after reading a few of the threads about it:

--It sounds like the RB more or less uses the Essentials ruled, but with some differences. Is it supposed to be Essentials-based, or a hybrid of some sort?

--If the discrepancies aren't as intended, are they typos, and should I wait for a second printing of the Box when they're fixed?

I'd like to pick up the Red Box for my son, but I'm a bit confused after reading a few of the threads about it:

--It sounds like the RB more or less uses the Essentials ruled, but with some differences. Is it supposed to be Essentials-based, or a hybrid of some sort?

--If the discrepancies aren't as intended, are they typos, and should I wait for a second printing of the Box when they're fixed?

The redbox does have some issues. The character rules used are kind of their own thing and may prove confusing if you plan on getting the essentials books.

A reprint later is kind of pointless since the whole set is mostly just a preview for books that will be on the shelves by the time it comes out.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The impression that I have gotten is that the essentials rules had not been finalized when the red box went to print. The red box rules where the essentials rules at the time, but the essential rules were later updated.

Hopefully if there is a second printing they will bring the red box in line with essentials, but I have not heard anything one way or another.

jelmore

First Post
It's already been answered, but one (unfortunate) way of looking at it is that even though the red box is part of the Essentials line of products, it's not using the same updated ruleset that the other Essentials products will be using.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll have to pass.

Bummer.

The Red Box is worth the purchase if you are both just starting out in D&D. The dice the module and the code to download another module or 2 is a nice thing to have.

Pick up the Rules Compendium and Heroes of the Fallen Land. The differences from the RB to HotFL is not as egregious as others would lead you to believe.

Remove ads