• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Rules Compendium preview copy in hand

Reaper Steve

Explorer
How are the rules structured? Not looking for the full ToC, but just the order of the major sections.

For instance, a peeve of mine is how the PHB (and most every other RPG rules set) puts character generation first. Granted, it is the most important thing to a player, but I argue that the rules of the game should come first. It feels wierd every time I have to look up a game play rule all the way in the back of the PHB.

Also, is it really 300+ pages?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Ah, the DM screen then might be a mistake because under helpless it doesn't list you as being a valid target of a coup de grace attack. I thought they had removed coup de grace.
The book says nothing about CDG under Helpless, but does mention Helpless under coup de grace.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
How are the rules structured? Not looking for the full ToC, but just the order of the major sections.

For instance, a peeve of mine is how the PHB (and most every other RPG rules set) puts character generation first. Granted, it is the most important thing to a player, but I argue that the rules of the game should come first. It feels wierd every time I have to look up a game play rule all the way in the back of the PHB.
TOC:
Introduction (pg 5)
Chapter 1 The Basics (pg19)
Chapter 2 Adventurers and Monsters (pg59) (on page 74 they start the character creation rules)
Chapter 3 Understanding Powers (pg 89)
Chapter 4 Skills (pg123) (this includes skill checks and skill challenges)
Chapter 5 Exploration and the Environment (pg165)
Chapter 6 Combat (pg187)
Chapter 7 Equipment (pg263)
Appendix 1 Building a Combat Encounter (pg285)
Appendix 2 Rewards (pg289)
Appendix 3 Terrain Features (pg303)
Glossary (pg308)
Index (pg318)

Also, is it really 300+ pages?
Last page of index is 319, advert for other Essentials on final pg 320. So, yes.

fullchromelogic

First Post
This is the essentials product I have been waiting for and am most excited about. I've been resisting the urge to cut/paste errata into my core books, or carry print outs, so having an updated, portable reference is super exciting for me.

Does the book feature any cross-indexing or references to other books? Would love if it told me where in the DMG I can find disease tracks, or what chapter in PHB2 contains alchemy, or whatever.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads