• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Rules Compendium preview copy in hand

SabreCat

First Post
Ugh. Is is just me, or does this quote-unquote definition simply add to the confusion?

An attack is:
* an attack roll and its effects including damage
* short for an attack power
* somehow has something to do with multiple attacks
* some powers are attack even though they don't feature a roll but they do have a target

So when my PC targets another PC with healing word, is that an attack? Obviously not, but you wouldn't know it from this "definition".
Probably not just you, but I think these issues can be puzzled out.

"Something to do with multiple attacks" is explaining how an "attack power" can actually produce more than one "attack" by the main definition given in the glossary entry (an attack roll and its effects).

Healing word isn't an attack because it isn't listed as an attack power. Everything that falls into the "no roll, but target" category of attacks has the word "Attack" in the power type. Magic Missile is "Wizard Attack" for example.

Scribble

First Post
Huh. I didn't expect them to have info on specific familiars, but I thought they'd have at least the basics of how familiars work.

That does seem odd that it is missing. They only really needed to reprint the page that's in Arcane Powers.

My guess (and this is only a guess since I don't have the book) is that this book contains the "underlying" rules that everyone uses, or potentially uses no matter whether it you're a player or DM or what class/race you are using.

Stuff that is more specific to a feat/power or class or race or something will be located in the source books that are more fitting.

You'll probably find the familiar rules in the player side essentials books.

Mand

First Post
Would you mind checking the rules for damage types? The rules for resistance, immunity, and vulnerability is up on Dragon already, but I'm hoping for some clarification on how damage types work, specifically summed versus combined damage types.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Would you mind checking the rules for damage types? The rules for resistance, immunity, and vulnerability is up on Dragon already, but I'm hoping for some clarification on how damage types work, specifically summed versus combined damage types.
Resistance ineffective versus combined damage types unless ressist to both types, then weakest of the resistances applies. Multiple resistances vs same damage type not cumulative, take the highest.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Getting ready for work now. Book will be on view at the store. I should be able to answer more questions this evening, so keep them coming, just don't expect an immediate reply.

What page is 'page 42' on now? How have the damage values changed for improvised actions? The current versions seem somewhat weak, so it's seldom in a player's interest to try something creative instead of just using a power.

Mand

First Post
Resistance ineffective versus combined damage types unless ressist to both types, then weakest of the resistances applies. Multiple resistances vs same damage type not cumulative, take the highest.

Thanks...but as I said that info is already up in the Dragon article. I'm looking for anything describing how damage types work that isn't covered by resist/immune/vuln.

Specifically, if there's some explicit rule statement that describes how extra damage that is typed is handled. If your power does 1d6+4 untyped damage, and you have +1d6 fire damage from e.g. the artificer power, how much of your attack is fire damage?

Remove ads