Eternal War

Starseeker

First Post
Sounds like the perfect opprotunity to create a massive, legendary epic war that denziens of other planes hear fabled tales of but never know if it actually exists.

As in, the Eternal Daemon War

A few years back I created a world called Avarol. The intention was to make it so mindboggingly massive and diverse the macronomics of it would boggle the players. Anyways, since the world population was so huge (in excess of our own world, I might say 8 billion souls) they were able to support millions of leveled characters. (is a 1:1000 ratio too big, u think?)
This allowed the formation of a righteous, kick-ass paladin/cleric orders who protected the world. One of the orders in particular, the Platinum Stars, speciliazed in taking the daemons on in their home soil.
A spellcaster (most likely divine, pureclassed cleric) would open a gate/portal into Hell, and the Knights, working in groups of five (known as a Platinum 'Hand') would then proceed to pour into Hell, with a :):):):)eload of buffer spells cast upon them. Hasting, protection from evil (paladins already have this) and AC rasing spells are probably more important than spells to increase damage capability in this case. Working in five (four 'Digit' paladins, one 'Palm' cleric) back to back protects the cleric while preventing evil little maneouvering tricks by the daemons. (but I suppose may increase susceptibility to area of affect spells... :mad: )
Even my players had a bit of a problem accepeting the magnitude of the power level of this Order (though it certianly earned their respect!!), but it was later established that each Platinum Hand was carrying a piece of the artifact known as the <i>Heartstone</i>, which by itself enabled the Hand to planeswalk freely and cast True Ressurection, VERY useful if you're planning a incursion into Hell and your Palm gets killed, btw. :)

Much of the campaign storyline was centered on the activities of this region, and the characters spent a lot of time looking for the lost shards of the Heartstone. My intention was to have the Daemons eventually get so annoyed that they would invade Avarol. The completed <i>Heartstone</i> (put together by the PC's) enabled the War to not be immedately lost, as it were.
Instead, the completed <i>Heartstone</i> (which holds the soul energies of the world, btw!!) ressurected the entire battlefield of Avarolian souls with each sunrise. So, the Eternal War became of of the Orders of Knights against the immmesurable Hordes of Hell (I figure Daemons are born in the entire plane of Hell quick enough to keep dying and not have numbers mesurably affected). Each and everyday, the Knights would have to hold/attack and survive until sunrise, an epic mindboggling Eternal War of attrition.
So, hundreds of years on, the battle might continue to rage!! (Yes, that last bit is a little illogical, but who cares cause it's cool!)

Perhaps some bright PC might figure out a way to end the war, closing the portal or something! A worthy task for someone a few (hundred? thousand?) years on. :)

Telgian

First Post
That's pretty cool.
I like the touch with the ressurection of the souls to fight another day (nice echos of Valhalla :) ).

For leveled characters, I don't think that 1:1000 is too high, with a 8 billion population.

Oops. Dinners ready.
Later,
Telgian.

Khorod

First Post
Of course, the way to seal the portal would be to block it with the soul energies of the entire world- take the Heartstone, stick it in the portal, and have a 50% chance to end the war or destroy all life in the world. And that's after you have taken it from its resurrection job.

Tee-hee.

Last edited:

Telgian

First Post
So, I'm curious. How did you handle daemons getting ahold of pieces of the heartstone?

With the 'Platnum Hands' going to the daemons home how would losses be recovered? Or are these the lost shards that you refer to?
Could the daemons use them to corrupt the world? Control magic...?

Misc. musings.
Telgian.

Remove ads