LFP [Paid] The War of the Burning Sky -- Full campaign, novice to experienced players welcome

Oginme

Villager
Gate Pass is under attack! The forces of the Empire are marching upon the western gate of the independent city-state of Gate Pass. Already the ruling council has capitulated and is allowing anti-magic inquisitors to enter the city to flush out “dangerous spell casters who are to blame for the emperor’s untimely death.”

Meanwhile, the forces of the high elves are waiting outside the eastern gate to prevent the Empire from invading their lands.

You can be the key to saving not only Gate Pass, but the world as you know it.

Will you be the heroes to unite the smaller kingdoms against the threat of the Empire?

Can you uncover the mystery of the Emperor’s death and the location of the artifact he used to conquer the surrounding lands?

Before the campaign is over, the players will:

🔥 Fight the living incarnation of an eternal forest fire.

🌪️ Battle a cell of magical spies while a hurricane rages around them.

⚔️ Carry out military operations ranging from infantry maneuvers and spying, to cavalry charges and tactical strike missions.

🕵🏿 Adventure through the memories of an enemy ruler to learn her secrets.

🛡️ Defend against a battalion of soldiers mounted on war mammoths and their frost giant allies in an arctic waste to protect a vital teleportation circle.

🤜🏽 Engage in street-to-street fighting in an occupied metropolis, led by a traitor toward a trap that will destroy the entire city.

🕯️ Get their hands on an artifact and can use it to turn the tide of the war.

This is a level 3 to level 20 DnD 5e campaign featuring heavy role play and exploration, with challenging combat. The players will have the opportunity to influence political events in the world, to lead armies into battle, and to possibly rule the world or let it be destroyed as they see fit. The PCs will get to play with some big guns, and as the campaign nears its climax you will witness the horrifying potential of magic on the field of war.

Note that this is a long-term commitment to see the full campaign to the very end. It is broken up into arcs and you are welcome to join for a campaign arc. While a somewhat linear campaign, the choices and actions of the characters will make the difference between success or failure. The world is rich in NPCs, some helpful, some not, and most of whom you will have the ability to sway to your side.

I am an experienced Game Master and Storyteller, with over 40 years of experience playing RPGs, running several long term and shorter term campaigns.

Role Play: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Combat: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Exploration: 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Session 0 scheduled for Sunday, October 15th at 1 PM EDT.

The price is $20 for a 3-hour session payable through startplaying.games

Game listing and sign-up link is: Game Listing

My bio and reviews are Professional Game Master - Oginme | StartPlaying.

LFP listing on Roll20:

Jund

Villager
Hello, I'm a big fan of The war of Burning Sky from China, and there's something that's been bothering me for a long time: what exactly does the word Trillith mean? Does it have a specific meaning or is it a combination of any affixes and etymologies?

Oginme

Villager
Hello, I'm a big fan of The war of Burning Sky from China, and there's something that's been bothering me for a long time: what exactly does the word Trillith mean? Does it have a specific meaning or is it a combination of any affixes and etymologies?
Hi Jund,

Made many trips to China in my career doing product development. Spent more than a few days in Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Fuzhou, Shenzhen, and Leshan.

The Trillith are spawned of the dreams and nightmares of the gold dragon Trilla. They each take the form of the major personality trait expressed in the dream/nightmare as the dragon lies sleeping in her confinement.

Jund

Villager
Hi Jund,

Made many trips to China in my career doing product development. Spent more than a few days in Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Fuzhou, Shenzhen, and Leshan.

The Trillith are spawned of the dreams and nightmares of the gold dragon Trilla. They each take the form of the major personality trait expressed in the dream/nightmare as the dragon lies sleeping in her confinement.
Great, let me know if you ever come to China again. I'm currently trying to translate this module, and I was wondering if I should just translate "trillith" phonetically, or if there's some special meaning to the word?

Oginme

Villager
Sorry for the late response. I would translate it phonetically. Not sure if there is a deeper meaning, since it does not appear to connect to anything substantial outside of this campaign.

I wish I could make another visit, but currently doing private consulting and do not have the income to support the trip. Would love to have my wife experience the variety of cultures and wonderful cuisines of the different regions of China. It would be great to see the Sitting Buddha up close as when I took the boat trip it was very foggy, cold, and raining.

Oginme

Villager
Last couple of days to sign up and participate in our Session 0 where the character arrays will be set for the campaign!

Session 0 will happen on Sunday, October 15th at 1 PM EDT.

Oginme

Villager
Session 0 has been completed. We have four very interesting characters with seats for two more still available.

The current party is: a Human Gloomstalker Ranger, a Half-Orc Barbarian, a Sea Elf Warlock, and a Yuan-Ti Druid.

Join in to take part in the exciting and action packed session 1 on October 22nd at 1 PM EDT.

Great, let me know if you ever come to China again. I'm currently trying to translate this module, and I was wondering if I should just translate "trillith" phonetically, or if there's some special meaning to the word?
Hi, I wrote the campaign. I'll try to answer without providing any real spoilers.

The word trillith has an in-universe origin (meaning something like 'related to Trilla,' with Trilla being a name), but like so many things in RPGs, the real-world origin is weird.

In 2001 or so, EN World moderator Piratecat was writing up accounts of his home game. https://www.enworld.org/threads/piratecats-updated-story-hour-update-4-03-and-4-06.779/

That thread starts in 2002, because there was a database wipe of EN World in 2001, and we lost a lot of old content. But in one of his posts, he had a hybrid troll-illithid (trolls as in the regenerating D&D monster, illithids being another name for "mind flayer," an iconic D&D psychic monster), for which he used the portmanteau "trillith".

The monster was not especially pivotal to his game, but I was enjoying reading about his game, and around the same time I was planning for a game of my own, and I was going to have a psychic monster. So I used the term trillith too, on a bit of a whim. Mine wasn't troll-like at all, but I rather favored the '-lith' ending, which sounds vaguely Biblical to me, like the name Lilith.

I was using my own setting for my game, I ended up using it for a few different campaigns, during which time I needed to take the 'named on a whim' trillith and give them some backstory. The character Trilla was created after I first introduced a trillith in my game. One of the campaigns I ran in that world basically had the plot of War of the Burning Sky, and when in 2006 EN Publishing decided to put out an adventure path, I adapted that series of my own home games.

A few other notes:

A lot of the trillith in the series have names of concepts, like Balance or Agony. I think I got that idea from some Magic cards that were just coming out then, the 'incarnations' from the set Judgement, which were named things like Wonder, Brawn, or Anger: Incarnation . They were basically creatures that gave your other creatures powers once they were dead.

Piratecat's game took place in a setting he created, with the city of Eversink, which now is featured in a game he published, called Swords of the Serpentine: Swords of the Serpentine

I live in Atlanta, and there's actually a film production studio called Trilith here (which is used by Disney to film Marvel movies, among other things). But the name has nothing to do with WotBS's trillith. I think the studio name basically just means "three stones" - a trilithon is a structure with one flat stone supported by two vertical ones, like at Stonehenge.

TL;DR - feel free to translate it phoenetically, or perhaps do something akin to "children of Trilla." I only know a handful of phrases in Mandarin, so I can't help. Good luck, and thanks for the interest in the adventures!

Remove ads