• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

eTools Patch and Source Code

BluWolf

Explorer
My prediction??

They will release the patch relatively soon and then shelve the source code.

Consider this product at the end of its life cycle.

Game over.

Sam

First Post
$30 gone pretty quick. I can't say enough how disappointed I've been with eTools. Between Hero Forge, RPM & Campaign Suite, they all do such a better job than eTools! The only think I liked eTools for was monster advancement, but it sure wasn't worth 30 bucks.

I agree that this is likely the end of the product. If WotC & Fluid had some falling out, WotC is likely going to just let this one die a slow, painful death.

--Sam

theoremtank

First Post
Why do I get the feeling that if a patch is released for eTools, it won't be comprehensive enough to fix all the known problems. And after hearing that Fluid turned over the souce code, I don't think we will be seeing the necessary remaining patches.

And the loser is.....the eTools consumer!

Last edited:

Luke

Explorer
Sam said:
Between Hero Forge, RPM & Campaign Suite, they all do such a better job than eTools! The only think I liked eTools for was monster advancement, but it sure wasn't worth 30 bucks.
--Sam

Thanks Sam. There's an interesting recent feature in RPM for monster advancement, and its beyond HD/Size advances.
An RPM race can specify which "new race" it becomes.
This means, for example, that when their HD are high enough, dragons automatically move up their age categories, as do the elementals etc. There's a lot more to this than just size issues, since abilities, features and all sorts of factors might start coming into play (especially as dragons advance).
Fortunately, I built in the capability to change a creatures race and templates around very easily, and fully recalculate them.

Dustin Clingman

First Post
I all truth this could mean that they intend to open source the application. Shelving the source code won't do anything. Perhaps they might open certain portions. Either way, turning the source code over is really common when a product is finished. It's usually accompanied by a certain amount of technical support. When that support runs out, that' s it baby.

Dustin

Veander

First Post
Could it not just be that WotC wants a copy of the source for their records and this is all just nothing other than that?

Veander

Sam

First Post
Veander said:
Could it not just be that WotC wants a copy of the source for their records and this is all just nothing other than that?

Could be, but it doesn't sound like that. "Turning over" the source code sounds like Fluid won't have anything to do with the project anymore. Otherwise, you'd think they would say that they are delivering a copy of the code to WotC for archival purposes or some such.

kristov

Explorer
Bah

Its for the best. Fluid is a crappy bunch of programmers who siphoned away a ton of money and produced jack as a product.

I am a programmer - and I can spot it a mile away - happens all the time.

Im sure they went through so many design changes and re-dos of the product and finally gave up because Fluid couldnt deliver the goods on time as originally promised and kept asking for more money.

Gotta lay the blame where it lays - WOTC/Hasbro just did what they had to do from a business perspective because the group they hired to work on the project was a dud.

-Kristov

KnowTheToe

First Post
Veander said:

Veander

No, we want doom and gloom here buddy. None of your positive thinking. Why don't you take that crap to Nutkinland.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads