• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ettins as Exile Giants?

Herosmith14

First Post
So, my home campaign is set in Matthew Mercer's Exandria. I'm planning on having multiple plot threads happening simultaneously, so the players have to choose who they help when and can straight up just have some history happening in the background. One of these plot threads is that the Exile Giants are banding together in order to either forcefully claim one of the Seven Scepters for their own, or overthrow the Highborn(haven't decided yet).

For those who don't know, Giant society in Exandria doesn't follow the Ordning. For the most part, they are separated into three broad categories. You have the Lowborn, the "peasent" class of giant society, which is composed of Hill Giants, Cyclopses, and Ogres, the Highborn, which is composed of all the other core giants, each with their own civilizations, and what I call the Exiles or Darkborn. In the Tal'Dorei campaign guide, there are only two specifically referenced giants for the Exiles; Oni and Trolls. However, I am counting Fomorians as Exiles because they perfectly fit the theme of "corrupted by dark magic" that is across the Darkborn.

Now, here is my question, would Ettins be considered Lowborn, Exile, or should I stick them with the orcs, away from Giant politics? I read through the lore section for them, and generally they feel like Lowborn, but their lore mentions they have two heads because they messed with Demigorgon (Dark Magic), and they also were originally orcs, and still have ties to them. They aren't mentioned at all in the Giant caste system in the book, so where do you think they should fall?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Seems like you could just decide how you’d like it to work?

I’ve always lumped ettins in with giants and ogres, myself.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It could be a situation where all "deformed" giants are exiled. Ettins for having 2 heads, but there others - the Fomorian notably, and PF has the Thawn (ie "mud giants")

Remove ads