• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evaluate my House Rules--Now with Law/Chaos Removal Juicy Goodness!

VirgilCaine

First Post
Here's what I'd like to use in my first real continuing campaign:

-[Edit: Never mind.]
-I run 3.0, so Haste grants an extra move-action. Whee, abusing Flaming Sphere!

-Sean K. Reynold's Poison rules:
Continuing Poison Damage
http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/variantcontinuingpoison.html
Concentration Against Poison Damage
http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/concentrationagainstpoison.html

The Revised Rogue rule, from here:
http://www.tcnj.edu/~pennisi2/rogue.html

-The Magus Sorceror/Wizard variant I found: [Edit: In revision.]

[Edit]
HOWEVER!

There is one rule I forgot to mention: I don't use Law or Chaos, at least on the "mortal" level. Outsiders and elementals can b e lawful/chaotic, but anything else is just Good/Neutral/Evil.
The alignment spanking spells work on the respective outsiders, but mortals are either good, neutral, or evil.

Yes, Paladins will have a Code, yes Monks will also have a code I suppose (depending on their origin, I use different explanations for monks in my world), bards can be lawful...miss anything? Oh, yes, druids. Not many problems there, IMO. Just true neutral druids, good druids, evil druids, and "Nature's is our Judge" type druids.

Opinions?

This is my first real continuing campaign. All the rest didn't last long--a few sessions at most. But these don't seem too impacting, given I can take in the obvious repercussions.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Goolpsy

First Post
Criticals automatic confirmed... does lack something..
specially with the 3.0 rules (which rocks..)

Elven thinblade 1d8 18-20/x2
together with keen and improved critical..

12-20/x2

So this lucky guy using this weapon with the right feat and bonus... would automaticly score a critical hit 45% of the time...
plz jsut tell me you can see the 'imbalance' in it..

VirgilCaine

First Post
Goolpsy said:
Criticals automatic confirmed... does lack something..
specially with the 3.0 rules (which rocks..)

Elven thinblade 1d8 18-20/x2
together with keen and improved critical..

12-20/x2

So this lucky guy using this weapon with the right feat and bonus... would automaticly score a critical hit 45% of the time...
plz jsut tell me you can see the 'imbalance' in it..

I have never heard of the Elven Thinblade. I use Core WotC books only, at least for now.

Furthermore, with Keen and Improved Critical, you need to be 9th-10th level Fighter, Barbarian, or Paladin using a Falchion or Rapier. Sounds reasonable for the only special ability of a +2 weapon of a mid-level melee character--people complain that tanks are hosed as you go higher in level, right?

For a Rogue it would take a few more levels for this combo to come together. Don't see a problem.

BUT. That's not what this thread is about.

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Wystan said:
Spell pilgrimage seems overly complicated. I would allow 1d4 spells per pilgrimage. Max out at int bonus.

I se your point, I hadn't noticed that it allowed only one spell per pilgrimage. Makes the hassle too much of a hassle. Max out what at Int bonus? The number of spells per pilgrimage?

Last edited:

Wystan

Explorer
1d4 spells per pilgrimage, never learning more than int bonus. So a 16 int Mage would gain a max of 3 spells.

Also make is so the pilgrimages can only b done at certain times of year and pertain to the season or climate where they are learned maybe?

Ex. Fireball spell Only on Midsummers day.... Lightning Bolt During a massive storm.... Teleportation only during an extreme calm in a familiar place (also requires 1d4 days of study in that place)....

Just examples

VirgilCaine

First Post
Wystan said:
1d4 spells per pilgrimage, never learning more than int bonus. So a 16 int Mage would gain a max of 3 spells.

Also make is so the pilgrimages can only b done at certain times of year and pertain to the season or climate where they are learned maybe?

Ex. Fireball spell Only on Midsummers day.... Lightning Bolt During a massive storm.... Teleportation only during an extreme calm in a familiar place (also requires 1d4 days of study in that place)....

Just examples

Thanks for the clarification.

That's kind of a more...Druidic feel than what I want for the class. The stars are the same everywhere. Just going on the journey without the use of magic is hassle enough, I feel.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
So to gain additional spells you could have to Travel 900 days ?!?! (max for additional 9th level spells) That's way to long, you shouldn't have to travel for years to get spells the most should be a few months. The maximum you should ever have to travel in possibly 9 months, I'd suggest cutting it down to levelXd20 or levelX3d10 for more average results.
How bout natural 20's are automatic crit's whereas those with more range have to beat the AC?
Finally I really like the rogue changes and the poison concepts, however I personally would cut lenght in half if one save was made and full lenght for two failed saves. Instead of doubling the length on 2failed saves

DonTadow

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
I have never heard of the Elven Thinblade. I use Core WotC books only, at least for now.

Furthermore, with Keen and Improved Critical, you need to be 9th-10th level Fighter, Barbarian, or Paladin using a Falchion or Rapier. Sounds reasonable for the only special ability of a +2 weapon of a mid-level melee character--people complain that tanks are hosed as you go higher in level, right?

For a Rogue it would take a few more levels for this combo to come together. Don't see a problem.

BUT. That's not what this thread is about.
I think its in the arms and armor book. I remember doing this exact same thing with a character a few years ago and hewas always criticalling. Plus my dm had a house rule where raciall weapons didn't need an exotic weapons profiency. I guess that's why they update things.

werk

First Post
I've played '20s always crit' and '20s threat a crit' both as player and DM.

I prefer 'threat a crit' since it reduces the number of crits dramatically.

Crits are a wild card, and while a little chaos is fun, a lot of chaos is...well...chaos.

So on weapons with a greater crit range, like a rapier...you'd house rule that an 18 is also insta-crit?

Remove ads