• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evasion and confined spaces.....

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Are there any rules/ruling regarding the functionality of "evasion" in narrow confined spaces ? Sure, "Evasion" is supposed to represent a superior ability to avoi AE damage due to the power of quick reflexes getting you out of harms way, although you are not physically leaving your current position..... now, what if there simply is no place to get to ?

Normally evasion does not work only, if the character is helpless (unconscious, paralyzed etc. ) but it quickly becomes rather absurd in those situations, where the target simply cannot leave the area of effect - such as a target climbing up a narrow chimney (and hence being effectively DEX-bonusless) and having a breath weapon or fireball chugged in after him/her. He/she is still permitted a Refelx save, and actually has the chance towalk away unharmed, even if evereything else around him is incinerated,

Of course "house ruling" helps around this but I actually wonder if WotC really overlooked such a glaring absurdity, or if I am not looking in the right places

Krelios

First Post
You haven't missed anything, it's D&D, there are lots of things that aren't realistic, including the fireball headed up the chimney in the first place. You can always house rule that you're denied a reflex save in such circumstances if that works better for your group.

Scharlata

First Post
uzagi_akimbo said:
Are there any rules/ruling regarding the functionality of "evasion" in narrow confined spaces ?[...]

As Krelios said.

You even get a Reflex save when you are unconscious. :D

Enjoy!

Pinotage

Explorer
I've always considered the option that if there's no way to go, your clothing is still there to protect you. Perhaps you pull your cload around you in time, or roll into a ball and pull your clothing around you to minimise exposed area. Sometimes a quick burst of flame just isn't enough to ignite something, and the clothing can protect you from the heat. Bottom line, it's D&D - sometimes you're just lucky.

Pinotage

Infiniti2000

First Post
uzagi_akimbo said:
Are there any rules/ruling regarding the functionality of "evasion" in narrow confined spaces ?
Yes. You cannot use evasion when squeezing in a confined space and your chimney example certainly qualifies:
SRD said:
As with a Reflex save for any creature, a character must have room to move in order to evade. A bound character or one squeezing through an area cannot use evasion.
Rogues and monks also can't use it with armor:
SRD said:
Rogues and monks cannot use evasion in medium or heavy armor. Some creatures with the evasion ability as an innate quality do not have this limitation.
Now, some use the first quote to also say you don't get a reflex save in those situations (squeezing).

Goldmoon

First Post
On the subject of no saves, Id an NPC says they are going to heal a PC and instead casts a cause wounds spell, is it justified to deny the PC a save? I say yes personally since you were willing to accept the spell in the first place and werent trying to resist it.

the Jester

Legend
Goldmoon said:
On the subject of no saves, Id an NPC says they are going to heal a PC and instead casts a cause wounds spell, is it justified to deny the PC a save? I say yes personally since you were willing to accept the spell in the first place and werent trying to resist it.

I think so, unless the pc has Spellcraft and makes a DC 15 + spell level check to identify the spell being cast.

frankthedm

First Post
Goldmoon said:
I agree with you mostly.

1st save... Sence Motive Vs. Bluff
2nd save... Spellcraft
And now after the Inflict, Save Vs. Init!

But do all will saves feel the same? Does an Inflict feel the same as a Cure pre-save?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads