• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evasive Reflexes: what do you think about it?

Would you allow the Evasive Reflexes feat in your game?

• Yes, because it's not overpowered

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Yes, but not with Karmic Strike

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • No, because it's overpowered

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Yes/No for other reasons

Votes: 5 11.9%

Egres said:
Evasive Reflexes has nothing to do with your regular 5ft step.

Note that there isn't a "Normal" section that states:"normally you can't take more than one 5ft step each round."

Where did this come from? The way I read it, Evasive Reflexes uses a completely normal 5' step, with the exception that you can take it when it's not your turn. If you have already moved or taken a 5' step in a round, you will not be able to use this feat.

Sammael

Adventurer
5 foot-step granted by the Evasive Reflexes is not a 5 foot-step action. If it were, the feat wording would note what happens if you had taken a 5 foot-step action in the previous round, and whether you could take one in the following round.

It's broken with Combat Reflexes and Karmic Strike, because it allows unlimited melee attack negation (given a high enough Dex bonus).

Infiniti2000

First Post
Deset Gled said:
Where did this come from? The way I read it, Evasive Reflexes uses a completely normal 5' step, with the exception that you can take it when it's not your turn. If you have already moved or taken a 5' step in a round, you will not be able to use this feat.
Exactly. From what I read here, you get to take a 5ft-step, but there's still a limitation on 5ft-steps.
Sammael said:
5 foot-step granted by the Evasive Reflexes is not a 5 foot-step action.
Let's assume that by 'action' you mean a normal 5ft-step (which is, in fact "no action"). Nothing in the feat listed in this thread differentiates the 5ft-step from Evasive Reflexes and this.
Sammael said:
It's broken with Combat Reflexes and Karmic Strike, because it allows unlimited melee attack negation (given a high enough Dex bonus).
I have not seen evidence of that. From what I can tell here (and without access to Karmic Strike), you still cannot take more than one 5ft-step per round.

What allows more?

Talic

First Post
I have no problem with the feat. I think it provides a good option.

However, I think the Karmic Strike combo is flawed. In order to use the Karmic Strike, you have to actually take the attack of opportunity. You couldn't use the attack to step away. Technically correct ruling or not, I think it's fair.

I would worry more about stepping out of a trip attempt (or similar manuver), but foes without the "Improved ____" feat shouldn't use the tactic enough to make it a game breaker anyway.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Egres said:
Evasive Reflexes has nothing to do with your regular 5ft step.
Except, of course, that it uses the term "5-foot step," which has very specific meaning in 3e.

Egres said:
Note that there isn't a "Normal" section that states:"normally you can't take more than one 5ft step each round."
That suggests fairly strongly, then, that Evasive Reflexes doesn't allow one to ignore the normal rule limiting combatants to a single 5-foot step per round. ("Normal" entries appear only when the feat does create an exception to the normal rules.)

I'd say Infiniti2000 hit the nail on the head.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
MarkB said:
This is the only part of the feat I don't like. Feats or class features that substitute for other feats are generally very similar in nature, and whilst both this feat and Combat Reflexes involve AoOs, I don't see enough similarities to allow them to substitute as prerequisites.

Yep. I plan to use the feat, but house rule this part away - in fact, I might make Combat Reflexes a pre-requisite.

reanjr

First Post
It's designed well for balance, and I also really like the idea of having alternate prerequisite feats so you are not stuck with 5 choices just to get one you really want.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Now that I realize that it does not provide additional 5' steps I have decided against using it because it will be a pain in the ass to keep track of as is, and as free movement I realize it is too powerful.

el-remmen said:
Yep. I plan to use the feat, but house rule this part away - in fact, I might make Combat Reflexes a pre-requisite.

Can anyone give some examples of things that require Combat Reflexes as a prereq? The only one I can find in the core rules is the Shadowdancer.

Remove ads