• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

WEContact

First Post
OOC: I asked in her first two posts whether it was too hard to read or not and no one answered, so I figured it was okay. Last post is changed. :)

Medina

Explorer
Rikkon looks up from his drink suddenly and curses under his breath. Hastily, he gets up and rushes out, having forgotten a previous appointment.

OOC: As discussed on the discussion thread, I'm withdrawing Rikkon for the time being, and will reintroduce him as my 3rd character when that time comes.

Medina

Explorer
A dragonborn, small for his race, pushes open the door to the tavern with a green scaled hand. He stops for a moment and looks around. "Ah, here at last. It is not quite what I had expected." he says to himself.

Stepping into room he lets out a sigh as he feels the warmth of the inn on his scales. The dragonborn walks to the bar. "Good evening," he says to the barman. "I am Marrgash Samanga. I hear this is the place to come for explorers and those who can help others in need."

The barman nods, silently, waiting for a question from the dragonborn.

Marrgash smiles. "Good! I am glad to be well informed!" Almost as an afterthought, Marrgash says, "I have also heard great things about your ale. I should very much like to try a mug," he says, getting out his coin purse to pay the bartender.

Pliantreality

First Post
Nalkyr couldn't help feeling just a bit bad when Caim laughed at Wat anymore than he could help feeling a rank kind of satisfaction at it. There had to be a word for 'taking pleasure at the misfortune of others' but the young eladrin didn't know it.

He did his best not to grin from within the folds of his hood. Nalkyr raised his mug to his lips, downing most of his ale. He might as well deflect some of the attention from Caim's rebuttal.

"Speaking of tweasure." he began, hunching forward, elbows on the table. "I was wondewing what kind of work there was around here."

Nalkyr gestured around at the tavern.

"I was hoping to hook up with a gwoup of like-minded folk, to that end." he added, though the statement seemed gratuitously obvious. He rested back into his seat, wrists on the hilts of his feyblades.

Son of Meepo

First Post
Wat smirks at Caim's rejection. As the barmaid brings the young man his own drink, he props himself up a bit by pressing the heels of his hands into the rough wooden table. Near the serving girl's neck, he whispers something to her. She nods and turns gracefully on her toes heading back to the bar.

"That's unfortunate... But, I ordered you one anyways, just in case you change your mind."

The mischievous grin never leaves his lips he as he waits. A few moments pass until the barmaid returns, placing a small snifter filling about an inch with a syrupy, dark amber liquid in front of Caim.

"It's brandy. I thought you'd find it's sweetness pleasing."

Wat goes back to sipping his own drink at his own table.

Someone

Adventurer
Daunton's unpredictable weather changes again, this time bringing dark clouds from the sea. Soon the shiny day becomes gloomy and forbiding, and rain punds the steets. It's too early for maps, and conversation dampens briefly in the tavern as the light dies out.

“So, isn't it time to feed it?” suddenly asks one of the patrons.

The barman looks at him with eyes full of hate.

“I told you I don't like showing it in public. Not since the last time.”

“Aw, come on, my buddy here hasn't seen it. Also, it's a slow day, we could use a story.”

“I haven't seen what?” asks the mentioned buddy.

“A souvenir the barman brought from one of his adventures. The most horrible creature you can imagine”

“I can imagine quite a bit horrible creatures”

“Not like this one.” says the barman, who has placed a large bird cage covered with a black cloth on the table. “I got it some time ago from one travel to a far away island. The natives called it...

...EL CHUPACABRA!!!

“El what?”

“A hideous being that feeds on living flesh, and cheese. It terrorized the locals with it's nocturnal attacks.”

“How many of them killed?”

“Three goats, for what I could tell.”

“Well, if three dead goats are the worst those peasants have faced, they are very lucky. The least worry they have around here are bandits.”

“Dude, they don't have bandits there because 'it' ate them all!

“Ok, now I have to see it. Remove the cloth.”

The barman pulls the cloth away while at the same time a lightning dramatically bathes the tavern in white light.

A... thing not one foot tall stands on the cage's floor, looking at everyone with diminutive black eyes.

Chupacabra5.jpg

“Wait” says the buddy. “Is that it? You had me all worked up!”

“What do you mean?”

“I can't believe you're such a pansy! This thing is adorable. Why is the cage's door welded?”

“It can pick locks.”

“You're kidding.”

“I'm not. The first day here it escaped and...”

The barman leans forward and concludes the sentence with a whisper: “have you heard about the incident at the temple of Lauto?”

“What? You mean this birdie did it?”

The barman nods.

“He did that to the high priest? And... and defiled the sacred relics? And did those drawings on the god's statue in the middle of the sacrifice?”

“That was what the public even knew. I was lucky to get it back before more harm was done.”

“Even then he's just a mischievous little bug. Come here, birdie...”

“No!”

But the barman's warning comes too late. As the man extends a finger to pet el chupacabra, the creature produces out of nowhere a diminutive and vicious club which seems to have a tiny rusty nail embedded in it and smashes the man's hand through the gaps in the cage's bars.

“Aaaaah! AAAAAAAAAAH!

“I warned you”

”AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!”

Chupacabra2.jpg

“I told you it was dangerous”

“Oh gods, it hurts!”

“But did you hear what I was saying for a moment?”

“I'm bleeding!”

“No, you went all oooooh, it's just a little bug”

“How can that thing hit so hard?”

“I wish I never brought the thing back” says the barman, covering the cage again with the back cloth, as the man gets out of the tavern seeking medical attention. “I wish someone else took it with him so I didn't see it again!”

Remove ads