Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
A portly man wearing a weathered, leather overcoat steps over the threshold (and the door) and looks around the common room. His bald head and sweaty brow suggest that the effort to walk down the street was about as much exercise as he's had in recent years. He straightens to a full height of 5'9" and puts his hands on his hips, his face donning an expression communicating that some form of justice has been served,

"So that's wha' they ge' far firin' ole Blagarm Barblacken!"
he bellows, as he chuckles at the irony.

He takes his coat off and hangs it on a peg by the door frame. Underneath, he's dressed in a browning, undyed, cotton tunic with a single button at the collar, and a pair of gray trousers that blouse as they dive into riding boots that look a like they were designed for comfort as well as utility. A cracked, leather belt encircles his girth, and from the belt hangs long, linen rag.

Ignoring the crowd, for the moment, the fat man picks up the door and re-hangs it on the hinges. He grabs the rag from his belt and dusts off his work making the door seem a little more inviting if not homey. He then turns and strides to the bar. With all the grace of a bowling ball that's stuck a little too much to the thumb just before being released, the man leaps the counter and drops on the far side, lighting with a blunt boom that sends reverberating waves of force through the floorboards. A fog of dust erupts simultaneously from every inch of the floor much like salt does when a fist pounds against a table.

From behind the counter, he produces tapers, and lighting them, moves around the common room handing them to the half-elf and the Dwarf,

"Would'ye mind lightin' the sconces for ole Blagarm, an' I'll ge'ye somehtin' far ye'r trouble."

Without waiting for a response, he places the lit tapers in their hands and walks back behind the bar. On his way, he slaps Mikara on the head,

"Wakeup gallie! This be no time ta sleep. Thar's wark ta be done! Do ole Blagarm a favar an' fetch some watar from th' well."

Once behind the bar, he produces his rag once more and begins to dust off a clear space on top of it. There, he sets two mugs and looks confusedly under the counters.

"Blame ya Mik! Ya gone an' drunk th' ale!"

Mikara, who has, by this time sobered up a little looks over her shoulder on the way to get the water,

"Did you check the cabinet
underneath the
mirror?
bet you didn't!

Ale, three jugs worth, and
spirits, two bottles, are
sitting on the third shelf."

"Ah thank'ye m'lady!" Blagarm bellows from beneath the counter as he finds the promised cache.

Lifting the two bottles over his head, he shouts to the room,

"Th' 'Angedman's Back I' Bizznuss!"

adding

"Drinks far any'hoo do thar share ta get'er ship-shape!"

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli thinks for a brief moment and then starts blowing the upper surfaces of pub free of dust with some minor spell.

"So Mater Blagarm, how long have you been gone from here?" Lilli asks.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Blagarm sidles his girth out from behind the bar and his face adopts a slightly angry expression. He drops his voice low as if someone is listening, though nobody is, "Stinkin' ownar fayar'd ole Blagarm 'kuppla months 'go far a sprite-speakin' young chap 'oo said, 'yessir' a li'le mar of'n th'n ole Blagarm." Blagarm winks at Lilli and his voice gets louder, "Bu' 'ee's gone, an' ole Blagarm's 'ere. So 'oo's speakin' sprite now!?" Blagarm puts a gentle hand on Lilli's shoulder, and gives out an uproarious laugh that makes his belly shake as he turns back toward the bar.

[sblock=OOC]This bit of information is a reference to the post below:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...e-Hanged-Man&p=6011392&viewfull=1#post6011392

This post is the first non-Blagarm personification of the bartender in the Hanged Man after Blagarm's last appearance. Since the new bartender has a fairly proper and plain-spoken accent, and tends to enforce the "state your name" rule, I characterized Blagarms attitude toward him as one who is a little bitter at being replaced by a lackey.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mik's Joke]Did anybody get it?[/sblock]

Sound of groaning wood can be heard above newly cleaned bar as the support beam sways and bulges as if something is forcing its way out of it.

Suddenly, several shoots grow out of it and small green hole appears and small bush falls out with heavy thump. The bush uncoils revealing a wilden, young, by the radiant green color of her leaves. She clutches a branch in her hand and calls up

[sblock=Fey (Elven)]
"Come on, it is safe!"
[/sblock]

Gray batlike creature flies down, followed by small army of sprites and other small fey creatures.

"Hello, everyone, don't be alarmed. I am Nementah, Lady of Infinite Branches, in absence of its true ruler. We're here to help."

[sblock=Fey (Elven)]
"Get to work, faster you're done, faster you can get back to play. Xerzuzu, keep them focused, I have to keep the portal open."
[/sblock]

The flock flies through the tavern, pulling at peoples hair, clothes, pulling chairs and in general making nuisances of themselves, but cleaning the place at incredible pace. Several larger creatures, not unlike awakened guardian tree barely squeeze through and lumber out.

Finally, after couple of minutes of this chaos, the door wavers and shamaness motions everyone back inside. Once they are gone, she collapses next to the bar, heaving, some of her leaves wilting.

"Water, please, clear spring one if you have it. I followed Daunton as much as I could while I got everything in order in Lord Relkaths absence. Luckily, the realm doesn't require too much handling. Now, anyone knows what happened here? Was it that warlock with his band of wizards who tore through the barrier between here and The Green?"

OOC: Nementah is 13th level bear shaman / scarred healer, sidhe lord lady

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Mikara, still somewhat intoxicated, waves the creatures off,

"Leave me alone!
I don't want
to be bothered
tonight.
Life's bothersome
enough without
fey creatures
ripping through
every corner
and doorway.
Keep away
sprites!"

Blagarm just stands agape as he sees six hours of cleaning work done in a matter of seconds, "Mothar o' Sehanine!" is all he can get out.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Bah! Faeries! Never ones to do honest day of work!" grumbles the dwarf grabbing his beer and anchoring his chair to the wall.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Just be sure you count all your things, children, wives and fingers afterwards. Right, Nementah?" shadow dwarf turns with a great beeaming smile toward the plant creature. As she collapses, his smile disappears as he slides from his table and in surprising feat of grace (for a dwarf) catches her without crashing into anything.

As she asks for water he smiles again.
"Something strong for me. We could pay for it by finishing the tale of the great black dragon that threatened Daunton...say...is his threat the reason everything is abandoned. I know he was powerful and there was an attack on the city itself...maybe the population panicked?"

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"So, what happened here? I was in one of the more unpleasant parts of the Feywild for what seemed like a long day. Lerrick and I escape and find, well, all is dust. How much time has passed since this place was the lively den of iniquity that we all loved? Is the much of Daunton like this?"

Mikara, now over her beer buzz remembers, vaguely, that the lady with the green spider asked her a question. She turns in the short lady's direction, realizing that the green spider is, in fact, not the lady's second head,

"The city's been like this for three months now.
I don't know how it started its decline.
When I returned to check on Blagarm's luck,
I found that it was almost bad as mine.

The city was deserted, overgrown
with vines that seemed to spring up overnight.
The people left their things inside their homes,
and left as if amid a hasty flight.

The mugs were tabled, still half-full of ale.
Their coats were still hanging upon their pegs.
Bread dough, half-risen, lay within their pails,
And rolls, half-eaten next to untapped kegs.

I've come and gone within this three-month time,
and somehow hoped I'd find them here again.
It seemed a hopeless hope, but now I find
The fires of The Hanged Man lit again."

[sblock=OOC: Neil1889]Sorry I missed this post.[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
"It's bad, but not as bad as I feared until Blagarm walked in, then," says Lilli, "For all I know at that point, it might have been years."

"Er...OK, bottled. A small glass something of floral, please?" says Lilli to Blagarm.

Remove ads