• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Events Forum

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I'd like to see an events forum where event postings could be made. Things like Gamedays and the ENnies after party threads drop so far off the first page that it's impossible to find them without a search function. I was just looking for info on the after party, but don't want to go searching for it beyond the 4th page. :p.

Any chance of a forum specifically for event listings, where it would be ok to crosspost these kinds of announcements and they wouldn't drop off since there aren't that many of them?

BrooklynKnight

First Post
d20Dwarf said:
I'd like to see an events forum where event postings could be made. Things like Gamedays and the ENnies after party threads drop so far off the first page that it's impossible to find them without a search function. I was just looking for info on the after party, but don't want to go searching for it beyond the 4th page. :p.

Any chance of a forum specifically for event listings, where it would be ok to crosspost these kinds of announcements and they wouldn't drop off since there aren't that many of them?
Wil, just click the link in my sig!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
d20Dwarf said:

I'm pretty sure it would fail to function well. If these things are in General, people would at least occasionally post to them, bumping them up to where they'd be seen. If you put them in their own forum, and then crosspost - the crossposted message would quickly fall onto later pages, and then nobody would hear about the event, because the real thread is stuck in an out of the way corner where nobody goes.

Michael Morris

First Post
On my "things to figure out" list is how to sort threads by their post icon. Once that feature is implemented you could just click "Sort by Post Icon - Game Day" or some such and they'd all come up.

As to using a different forum, it is feared that such threads would get lost if they were squirreled away out of General.

I would rather see more use out of the calendar system in vbulletin - this is more suited to announcements about events than a seperate forum, but it hasn't been used much and was taken off the front page. If you guys would actually use the thing I'd try to talk Russ into putting it back on the front page.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
BrooklynKnight said:
If it was a sub forum of general, or placed right under it, people would go.

No, they wouldn't. There aren't that many events. After stopping in to the sub-forum a couple of times, and finding nothng relevant, folks would stop checking every day. Then they'd stop checking every week. Then they'd stop checking, period.

When you have enough threads on a topic that it starts clogging up the General forum, then that topic might have enough traffic to support it's own forum. When the problem is that the topic doesn't have enough traffic to keep things on the first couple of pages of General, it'd die in it's own forum.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Those threads aren't particularly about action, they are long-term planning threads, made nigh-impossible if they drift off to page 14 buried underneath 14,000 "Eberron sux!" threads. The point of the forum would be to give them a place where they wouldn't be knocked down. Updates to the threads could be announced in the General Forum.

Michael Morris

First Post
I see what you're saying Wil, how about a different approach that I'll discuss with Russ. Instead of a forum, I could write a front page block that displays upcoming gamedays and other events. The link would lead to the planning thread no matter where it is in General.

This might be a better approach than a seperate forum for them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
d20Dwarf said:
Those threads aren't particularly about action, they are long-term planning threads, made nigh-impossible if they drift off to page 14 buried underneath 14,000 "Eberron sux!" threads.

It'd be a valid concern if any gamedays had ever failed due to slippage. I don't know of any that have. So far, though, the General forum has apparently worked pretty well for the purpose. Gamedays happen pretty regularly.

Sorry if I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy. But I don't see that it's broken.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads