• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eventuallity...

RolandOfGilead

First Post
Ok, my DM assigned me a thought experiment in order to get free training for my most recent level up as a wizard.

I think he was joking, but essentially the question boiled down to "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

Now, as the multi-talented blowhard that I am, I decided to tackle this from a scientific standpoint.

We know that science has decided that life was formed from inert matter because of two factors: Probability and Opportunity. Essentially, anything that is possible, when given enough opportunity, will become an eventuallity. In essence, because life was possible, no matter how remote, give the infinite nature of our expanding universe and the infinite amount of time, life became an eventuallity.

Now, which is more probable I ask you, that life would form from inert matter, or that a woodchuck would eventually learn to chuck wood? Indeed, because it is more probable, it most certainly MUST have happened, or is certain TO happen in the future. Therefore, the question becomes not "If a woodchuck could chuck wood?" but "When did the woodchuck chuck it? how much did he chuck when he did it? What about a woodchuck and a beaver working in tandem? And is the existence of intelligent malevolent woodchucks on mars responsible for its complete lack of foliage?"

Based on these deductions, I ask that you kill all woodchucks where you come across them; Alien terraformers seeking to deforest the earth cannot be allowed to succeed!

maddman75

First Post
RolandOfGilead said:
We know that science has decided that life was formed from inert matter because of two factors: Probability and Opportunity. Essentially, anything that is possible, when given enough opportunity, will become an eventuallity. In essence, because life was possible, no matter how remote, give the infinite nature of our expanding universe and the infinite amount of time, life became an eventuallity.

I reject the question based on an inaccurate premise. There are two forces at work in the human experience, the phenomena of our senses sending sensations into our brain, and the mind interpreting those sensations into perceptions and ideas. Therefore anything we concieve of is colored and influenced by our mind. Thus I cannot be certain about the actual properties of a woodchuck or the wood, or whether or not he can actually chuck. For that matter, I can't be certain that you are really a person asking this question, or that ENWorld exists.

-- Kantian maddman

TracerBullet42

First Post
RolandOfGilead said:
Ok, my DM assigned me a thought experiment in order to get free training for my most recent level up as a wizard.

I think he was joking, but essentially the question boiled down to "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

Now, as the multi-talented blowhard that I am, I decided to tackle this from a scientific standpoint.

Now, which is more probable I ask you, that life would form from inert matter, or that a woodchuck would eventually learn to chuck wood? Indeed, because it is more probable, it most certainly MUST have happened, or is certain TO happen in the future. Therefore, the question becomes not "If a woodchuck could chuck wood?" but "When did the woodchuck chuck it? how much did he chuck when he did it? What about a woodchuck and a beaver working in tandem? And is the existence of intelligent malevolent woodchucks on mars responsible for its complete lack of foliage?"

Based on these deductions, I ask that you kill all woodchucks where you come across them; Alien terraformers seeking to deforest the earth cannot be allowed to succeed!

Um....

Phaoz

Explorer
RolandOfGilead said:
"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

RolandOfGilead

First Post
By replying, you have been accepted into the grand fraternal order of the woodchuck. FNORD. You silly person you. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

Last edited:

RolandOfGilead

First Post
I now have photo evidence of a woodchuck and a beaver working in tandem.

Attachments

• woodchuk.jpeg
    woodchuk.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 67

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
What you need is a woodchuck with an adamantine beak.

Heck, make it an awakened dire woodchuck of legend while you're at it. And if it's killed, it comes back, only radioactive.

Remove ads