Ever been tempted to forbid something for a silly reason?

Mad_Jack

Legend
Well, I guess it counts as a silly reason, even though it never actually came up, but if I had ever run a 4E game I probably would have banned gnomes...

Not for the lack of a definitive niche. Or the stereotypical roleplaying.

Because of the hair.

There will be no *&&^%ing anime-style technicolor Bart-Simpson/Sonic-the-Hedgehog-looking hair in any of my games...

(It's entirely an issue with the art style of the books and not with the race itself - I've never subscribed to the old-school "chubby Hobbits" description of halflings or the new chibi version with the giant balloon heads and tiny feet either... Part of why I don't play Pathfinder is my dislike of the general art style of the world.)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I forbid use of the Blood God's actual name in any Warhammer game.

Why? Because NO ONE can take seriously a god of blood, chaos, and strife named Khorne.

His servants could rip the viscera from every PC at the table and dig their relative's eyes out with melon ballers, and the Khorne/Corn jokes would still be flying across the table.

Might as well name your campaign's next evil necromancer Frufru Gigglebottom...

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
His servants could rip the viscera from every PC at the table and dig their relative's eyes out with melon ballers, and the Khorne/Corn jokes would still be flying across the table.

Followed shortly by the heads of the characters. Khorne is a god of rage. Naturally, he's going to have a name that's easy to make fun of so he has a reason to direct his rage at you.

The name is schmuck bait.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Followed shortly by the heads of the characters. Khorne is a god of rage. Naturally, he's going to have a name that's easy to make fun of so he has a reason to direct his rage at you.

The name is schmuck bait.

Then someone would say, "He's too high-strung, he probably needs more fiber in his diet."
"Yeah, but isn't it a-maize-ing how fast he killed our PCs?"
Jeez, what a Khorny god."
"Yeah, String Bean, Lord of Fiber, could take him out easily."

And so on and so forth until someone started in on the poop jokes...

:)

Richards

Legend
Well shucks, Henry, I'm not sure if you're exaggerating or not but I'm willing to believe there's at least a kernel of truth to what you're saying.

I imagine if you ever actually ran into Khorne, your best bet would be to try to butter him up.

Johnathan

aramis erak

Legend
Yes, I banned the word Zen.

The reason? Because it was a homophone of a PC's name: Xen Xanfried.

Banning it didn't work, so I made it in later campaigns into "Summon Xen in the manner of Cthulhoid monsters"... which was all well and good until they were in a really tight spot, and everyone started chanting "Xen! Xen! Xen!"...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Might as well name your campaign's next evil necromancer Frufru Gigglebottom...
Well, there is this:

IF I Were the Evil Overlord said:
If all the powerful people in the world talk with a New Yawk dialect, I shall teach myself the accent of a farmhand from Minneso-o-ota. No one will ever suspect that their unknown nemesis is me !

With good luck on your part, the PCs will not take F.G. seriously because of his name, and look everywhere else first. This gives him plenty of time to study them and prepare a fatal trap.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I was tempted to forbid that species ("Krakur") because ...

There is another plural for that.

Just before ordering an army of them to charge, stand up someplace highly visible, Illusion yourself to look like the Greek god Neptune, and announce
"NOW RELEASE THE KRAKEN !"

Remove ads