• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ever had a demon/devil/god show up by its name being spoken?

Gold Roger

First Post
Never happened in my games, but I plan to include the possibility of Pazuzu being called this way in my future campaign.

He'll be very helpfull, of course^^

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I don't recall that this was a feature of every demon/devil/god.
AD&D1 Monster Manual, page 16, DEMON
If the name of a particularly powerful demon is spoken there is a chance that he will hear and turn his attention to the speaker. A base 5% chance is recommended to the referee. Unless prepared to avoid such attention -- or to control the demon -- the demon will thereupon immediately kill, by whatever means are most expeditious, the one pronouncing his name.

Devils in the AD&D1 MM have a similar rule, but it's more complicated, involving talismans.

Bullgrit

I didn't, but I did use the rule.

I had a cornugon introduce himself as Baalzephon, which was a lie...
Baalzephon is actually a pit fiend in the dark eight.

That 5% chance never came up, though (but the 10 words after his name did, with info provided to lesser devils).

Evilusion

First Post
Yes I did. I had one player say Admodeous inside of one his temples. Roll percenticle dice came up 94. I figured it was close enough.

First time I ever had that happen in my 30+ years of playing.

Wycen

Explorer
I just dredged up a memory from way back. When I was introduced to DnD, it was the Basic/Expert set, with the green character sheets, that I think I still have today, somewhere in storage.

Anyway, the DM I think gave me the characters, premade, but I digress. He also had created his own unique magic items. Sadly I can't remember exactly what they did now. One was a horn which I think maybe called on my god, which we had never named, but I recall the one time I did blow on it he pulled out a plastic figure of a paladin, possibly the paladin from the DnD cartoon and/or something like it, about 40 or 50 mm in size. This isn't quite the same, but this lead me to the next memory.

I once called for divine intervention and got it. In this particular group, we'd roll percentile and depending on how much you were in the good graces of your god, (in this case I think it really depending on if the DM was happy and liked you) a roll of 10 or less would work.

I do remember reading the part about a demon taking notice when you said its name, but by the time I was playing 2E, that didn't bother me anymore, though Hastur, that was different.:eek:

Remove ads