• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ever have players who wanted to quit your campaign

Gundark

Explorer
Well my players told me that they wanted to not play in my campaign anymore...not too sure how to take it. I guess they didn't like the way the storyline was going. The want more magic items (I try really hard to stay in the guidelines given in the DMG) , they don't want to face tough monsters ( ie. 7 10th level PCs fought a beholder...2 were turned to stone which were restored, nobody died...this was too hard). I guess this is hard for people to comment on. This ever happen to any of you? What happened?

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Yep. I don't take any offence to it. People expect different things from a game, and if I'm not providing fun for them, why expect them to stick around?

If everyone I gamed with up and decided they didn't want to play at the same time, I'd worry. IF it's just one person, it's no bid deal.

pogre

Legend
I have had players quit showing up after a couple of sessions, but no one has ever given me the courtesy of saying they are quitting. I never have anyone leave my games these days because I tend to play with close friends. Most players who have left my campaign have done so for real life issues.

You might take a poll of your other players and see how they are feeling about it. I really think the key to an enjoyable campaign at some level is giving the players what they want and a bit more. That's no criticism of you, players who want an easy road will drag a game down with their whining anyway.

PS - I think Crothian may have misread the title and assumed you meant that you wanted to quit the campaign. If not, I guess I disagree - never end a campaign because of just one player.

zorlag

First Post
-

Aw, so you have softies as players? Not much you can do about it, but if you can, force them to play Rappan Athuk (1-3) few times through and see if they can develop some natural armor... Dying can be annoying, but I don't think you can advance in roleplaying skills before you die a few times in a game. :mad:

Z.

Last edited:

ForceUser

Explorer
Players come and go. If you're gaming with friends or people you want to retain, however, you might consider asking them what they want out of the game. After a couple of frustrating sessions I polled my players regarding what they wanted from D&D, and the majority response was less roleplaying and more adventure, I.E. dungeon crawls and the like. So I changed my game and wrote in an enormous low-level dungeon adventure that you can read about by clicking the link in my sig (shameless plug :D ).

Remember that you're not gaming in a vacuum; the other players should have some say in what sort of campaign they play in. Don't let them undermine your authority during play, but talk to them between sessions to find some common ground regarding what you will all enjoy.

RedCliff

First Post
I just recently went through something like this myself. I run a small group, only 4 people. One of them recently left the game. I wouldn't know this unless his girlfriend told me though, since he wasn't planning on letting me know. He didn't think it was necessary.

This follows several long months of him badmouthing everything in the game. Plots were lame, rules were stupid, and everything sucked. When I look back on it, I have no idea why I let it go on like I did.

But it sounds like your players are a bit more communicative. That's good. Not only did they tell you they're leaving, but they said why. As for wanting easier fights with greater rewards, you might have to chalk it up to differing tastes. The player who left my game wanted a 2E screw around game. What I was giving was a 3E heavy role-playing game. Nothing wrong with either, just an irreconcilable difference in taste.

If your game can survive the loss, carry on, though you might want to get some feedback from the remaining players to make sure they're still happy with things.

And while it's not particularly easy, it's often not impossible to find another gaming group. I've done that in the past. My current campaign is made up of people I've known a while, but never gamed with before this campaign.

Last edited:

Remove ads