• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ever lost an amazing player?

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Oh yeah...

Years ago, our friend Greg, with whom we'd been gaming for about three or four years, was moving away to go to university. We were devastated, but were mildly consoled when he introduced us to his friend Sooch. Sooch was in his final year of high school, so wouldn't be going away for at least another year.

We missed Greg, but Sooch more than made up for it. He and I spent hours, weekends, weeks playing Vampire. He's a stunning role-player, able to depict any character and pick up the feel of a game and run with it. Nazi zombie attack for a Godlike game? No problem. Sabbat vampires discovering the path of Humanity and trying to balance the downward spiral, whilst dancing on the end of their masters' puppet strings? Sure. Cyberpsycho? Alrighty. Sensitive child in Call of Cthulu? Dwarven ghoul?

Greg has since graduated, and used to come game with us fairly frequently until he decided to travel in Eastern Asia for a year.

Sooch moved away to Japan last year. Actually, he's on his way over to the pharm right now for a quick fix of dice chucking before he heads back.

/me weeps

TheGM

First Post
I like some others here, have moved away from some of the most excellent gamers in the world. I wouldn't want them all back, and through the joy of the Internet, most of them are back for online games - though they're not the same, they are better than never playing with them. This list is those whom are not back, but hopefully one day will be.

Steve. We cut our teeth together, first player I had to play cross-gender, and he could play that character.
Mighty Mike. Same group. Played a Dwarf that puts most dwarven players to shame. Had the script written out and everything.

Ron. He's back with us online, but is playing time is severely limited by a spouse that doesn't get it, so we never see him. A better female elven cleric was never played.
Jeff. By the time he linked up with us online, he thought he'd grown up too much I guess. But his characters - all of them - were hilarious. Around but not.

The rest (thirty or so players) are with us in Nordalia, thank goodness. Our online games range the globe, and those people who became my best friends for two years while Uncle Sam decided I needed to move from place to place are there.

We live in a really cool time.

But I could still make a list of people who are "there", but not consistently because of other pressing issues in their life. Like WoW, Wifes, and Waifs. :confused:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
We used to game with Andrew Hughey and he was great! Terrific roleplayer and detail-oriented person that held the group to a higher standard of gaming. He ended up getting two jobs and wasn't able to game with us anymore. :(

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Neat thread idea!

Phillip, he was a member of my group from 1984 until about 1987. He was a great friend, one of the few people I really enjoy handing the DM's chair over to and an excellent player. He still lives in the area and still games, but we drifted apart when I moved out of the area for about 9 years.

One of my best friends from about 1986 until 2000, Chris, moved with his then girlfriend to Connecticut so that her parents could help take care of their child and her other children. He has since left her, but wants to be near his child, though he now has a child here as well.

Another is Dave, who was a former student of mine who was a GREAT player. Unfortunately his playing slipped a bit during his last stint at my table, but he moved away to take a job, so... He was a drama major in college and is now a drama teacher, so he brought a lot to the table.

DM

Harmon

First Post
Two recently.

One left due to my temper other issues. :(

Another left because, well he followed the first, he needed to move to some hotter then Hell state, and probably issues within the group that were present before his joining.

Both great guys. The second was a pretty good GM.

Miss them both. Wish them the best.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I've got couple of former players who've gone over to the Dark Side of World of Warcraft. Both in full on addiction mode... One of them was a really sad loss... But who wants to say which is which? :D

Biggest loss was 'crazy Paul', who moved up to London to learn a new career in Nursing. He was a fantastic wacked out guy. Made some incredibly memorable characters in his time.

Brakkart - as far as Nic goes, your loss was definitely our gain! :) Having lots of fun playing alongside him. He's also been running a DC heroes game, but RL means I've not been able to make that one. Annoying, because it sounds really good!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I have lost seven - count 'em, seven - players from my campaign to the west coast. Add one in Texas, one in New York, and one in Vermont, and it sort of looks like I'm just driving them away by the van load!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
BlueBlackRed said:
Have you ever lost an amazing player that you would love to have back?
They either moved away, or left because of someone else, or just got tired of the game, etc.

All the time. Usually to moving away because they were in the military.

Remove ads