• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ever Play In/Run a Campaign Where Everyone Played Characters of same Race & Class?

Starglim

Explorer
I don't think the same race and class would work well, unless perhaps it was Human Clerics. There is simply too strong a default assumption of diverse abilities in an adventuring party. Having said that, I haven't played in a single-race or single-class campaign either.

Li Shenron

Legend
It's not so unlikely to play in an all-human party (plus, we played once an all-drow adventure), but I think that the race makes more difference in roleplay than in strategic terms.

All of the same class would be much harder to make it work, but it's quite agreed that Clerics would probably make it.

Mr Vergee

First Post
I have DM'ed a campaign for five years with just two players:
a human rogue (with one sorcerer level);
a human wizard-rogue-arcane trickster.

Same race and matching classes, but still do-able. You do not necessarily need a cleric if you provide alternatives for healing.

Aus_Snow

First Post
No I haven't, but a group of Elven Clerics (or Dwarven Clerics) would be very powerful, and quite adaptable I'm sure - given different domains etc.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Close.

I played a game back in 2ed where my group played an all-drow party that were Fighter/X's, where X was our class of choice. We did the same thing with Dwarves as a one-shot adventure.

DeBracy

First Post
I have no experience what so ever of this so I won't necessarily come up with anything useful... but! If these "The Seven Rays of Ra" were sufficiently heroic to still be around and talked about it might be an idea to think about using gestalt characters...? That' definitly make them great heroes (a bit too great probably if there is seven of them) and give them lots of room for different flavor. Then again, gestalt is just multiclassing simultaneously so... just multiclassing them should work fine, shouldn't it?

Don't forget to think about the difference between the story told about the seven Paladins and what actually happened... I myself would very much enjoy to be introduced to the story of these seven magnificent champions only to later, when playing them, realizing that... hey, maybe they weren't that magnificent anyway (think Sparhawk and Kalten from Edding's The Elenium)? On the other hand that might not be very "D&D" with the strict Paladin code and all...

Oh well. Enough of my yapping.

Zappo

Explorer
I've played in an "all-cleric" campaigns, sorta. Everyone played a cleric, a paladin, or a multiclass involving cleric or paladin. It was a blast while it lasted, and the party was very strong.

I ran an all-Gnome campaign in second edition.

The characters were pregenerated by me, and all the information the players had to go on when chosing the characters was a set of 5 symbols I had inexpertly drawn. I had to tell them what they were - I can't even manage to draw a convincing tree, feather, rainbow, helmet and shield!

I then successfully manipulated the players into "choosing" the characters I thought they'd be best suited for role-playing.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, and I'd never dare attempt it in these days of player power, but once they got over the initial unease of learning they were all playing gnomes everybody had a lot of fun.

Among other things, it led to a lot of party cohesion. Gnomes were rare in that part of the world, so they attracted attention wherever they went, and they quickly became a tight-knit team.

And they were, of course, different classes. Might prove too limiting to have same race and class.

(Speciality priest of nature, fighter-swashbuckler, illusionist, thief-troubleshooter and fighter/thief, for the record.)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
MavrickWeirdo said:
Each PC should have a different highest ability score, (for the 7th have the ability scores balanced).

Sir x the Strong
Sir x the Quick
Sir x the Hearty
Sir x the Clever
Sir x the Wise
Sir X the Charming
Sir x the Fair

this will allow some "specialization" among the characters

I like this - each could have an 18 in their main stat. . .

eris404

Explorer
We are going to be doing something like this. Dread October has a setting he calls "the barbarian game." Basically, the characters are members of a barbarian tribe and most if not all the characters have levels in the barbarian class (though they are free to multiclass).

What's neat about this campaign though is that for every storyline/adventure, we will switch to a different set of characters. We'll start with the barbarian tribe for the first "storyline," then switch to people who live in a nearby town, then switch to the mysterious elves that live in the forest, etc. It's sort of like George RR Martin books where the story gets told from different points of view.

Remove ads