• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ever roleplay elsewhere in your life?

Faraer

Explorer
It's a big continuum. Everyone who has a self-image, is a social chameleon to the least extent, tells stories or accounts or uses irony or funny voices -- i.e. everyone -- roleplays.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Faraer said:
It's a big continuum. Everyone who has a self-image, is a social chameleon to the least extent, tells stories or accounts or uses irony or funny voices -- i.e. everyone -- roleplays.
I wouldn't call that roleplay, but it's true that when interacting socially we put on many different masks, whether we realize it or not.

Faraer

Explorer
It's playing a role. The 'real you', if it exists, exists at a deeper level than persona. A role isn't something separate from yourself, as any actor will tell you.

'whether we realize it or not' is certainly part of the operative point.

hong

WotC's bitch
Numion said:
Once travelling in asia I talked to people who knew nothing about Finland, so I pretended to be a polar bear hunter.
That's funny, because everyone knows polar bears are from the Antarctic while penguins are from the Arctic!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Faraer said:
It's playing a role. The 'real you', if it exists, exists at a deeper level than persona. A role isn't something separate from yourself, as any actor will tell you.
Well, OK. I guess we can call it roleplaying than... :)

Numion

First Post
hong said:
That's funny, because everyone knows polar bears are from the Antarctic while penguins are from the Arctic!

How did the penguins get from arctic to antarctic? That's a long ass march of the penguins .. enough material for a 5 season TV-series instead of one movie.

shilsen

Adventurer
For me, one of the reasons I like gaming so much is because I never roleplay anywhere else. I realize that everyone wears social masks and plays different social roles, and I try to be aware of and avoid that, so that I'm precisely the same with my lovers, family, friends, students, professors, colleagues, strangers, etc. So roleplaying at the game actually works as a very nice change for me.

Tetujin

First Post
Arashi Ravenblade said:
I think everyone wears an alternate identity depending on where you are, whether is be at school, work or with a significant other. Lets face it, people arent really tolerant no matter how much we pretend otherwise. So yes I do "roleplay" someone else depending on the situation. As for the heck of it. Not really.

Actually this is exactly why the DSM IV now refers to what was previously known as "Multiple Personality Disorder" as "Dissociative Identity Disorder". It was argued that everyone does and should have "Multiple Personalities", that is, you should act differently when you're around your close friends, at work, or around Grandma.

hong

WotC's bitch
Numion said:
How did the penguins get from arctic to antarctic? That's a long ass march of the penguins .. enough material for a 5 season TV-series instead of one movie.

hyphen.jpg

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
Back when i was single and just playing the field pretty much all my dates were roleplaying. All i wanted was to achieve the goal and figure out who i needed to be to do that...

Now that those days are gone i find I roleplay alot at work. I am a 3rd party bill collector (ducking rocks and thrown fruit) and i find i make a lot more money when i pretend like i am a kind compassionate person who really cares about them and believes whatever excuse they give me for being lazy and foolish. When in real life i know nobody held a gun to thier head and made them run up 10k on thier home depot card, or 15k on thier citi mastercard. I actually wish citibank would have just sued some of these idiots and garnished thier wages so i didnt have to hear adults wine about how they just HAD to quit thier jobs for months or go back to school and stop working at 40 for that art degree so they cant pay thier bills.

But pretending to be a sucker who believes they really did get a bum rap and who is just protecting them from a big banks legal actions against them makes more money. So thats who i usually am at work.... The things you have to do to earn a 30% commision....

Remove ads