• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Everquest 1,200 spells?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
DarkCrisis said:
What you have to understand about EQ magic is all the spells are upgraded versions ov\f older spells. Like: the lvl 1 fire spell does 4 damage then when you hit lvl 4 you get the new fire spell which does 8 damage. So yea they have over a thousand spells but they are just the same old spell that does more damage or heals more etc.... though some spells are unique like invis etc

That's disapointing but I should of remembered that on my own. I just hope that all the similar ones are different enough that we get a decent number of lines at least. I'll be disapointed if every level 5 dot is basically the same thing.

JoeGKushner

First Post
DarkCrisis said:
What you have to understand about EQ magic is all the spells are upgraded versions ov\f older spells. Like: the lvl 1 fire spell does 4 damage then when you hit lvl 4 you get the new fire spell which does 8 damage. So yea they have over a thousand spells but they are just the same old spell that does more damage or heals more etc.... though some spells are unique like invis etc

This sounds very much like role master with it's list of spells. Sure, you have thousands of spells, but how many of them are unique? Most of the spells in RM follow a very familiar pattern, even on different spell list.

Tsyr

Explorer
Sorry, but I really like the concept of variable weapons delay. I hate how my dagger-user, using a weapon that maybe weighs half a pound and takes very little effort to move, can hit the same amount of times as a guy using a fricking 5-pound claymore that takes a lot of effort and both hands to use.

In fact, said dagger user probably hits LESS, considering they are probably a rogue with a lower BAB/attack progression.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dude, all you gotta do is grapple with him. Doing so, you can still use your dagger but he cannot use his claymore. :cool:

I don't know if you can grapple in EverQuest MMORPG but I'm hoping that attack option and rule is available in PnP RPG.

Besides, rogues are supposed to be clever. They will do anything to ensure he make full use of his Sneak Attack.

Last edited:

Samurai

Adventurer
About the number of spells... characters each get save bonuses and resistances against each type of damage, like Fire, Cold, Sonic, Electricity, Acid, etc. I'm betting that each spell has multiple versions, one for each damage type, so there will be a Fireball, Acidball, Iceball, etc... each counted as a seperate spell, but varying only in damage type and possibly a few secondary effects.

Erifnogard

First Post
Originally posted here http://206.65.59.245/forums/readsea...division=EQ&subject=EverQuest RPG&task=thread
I respectfully disagree. If you want to simulate real world
fighting then BOTH a combatant's physical speed and his/her
weapon's weight and bulk and reach are going to affect how
fast they move with their weapon. In the real world, no
one's going to swing a longsword as fast as a dagger.

Reach is handled in 3e rules by reach weapons and AoO when
someone closes on you.
I do not think that 3e adequately handles the difference
between swinging a maul and swinging a dagger. So we
introduced mechanics that model that in a simple, usable
way.

Steve Wieck

This tells me that they probably didn't just resurect the old 'weapon speed' system. Actually I expect something much more usable, possible a tiered approach along the lines of Very Fast/Fast/Normal/Slow/Very Slow modifiers to initiative. Just guessing, but that would fit with several other systems that d20 uses, such as size, weapon proficiency brackets, etc. So basically I expect daggers, rapiers, etc. to be in a Fast bracket as opposed to say two handers in the Slow bracket. I could be totally off base though as I haven't seen anything official to this effect.

Erifnogard

First Post
Originally posted by Shard O'Glase
That's disapointing but I should of remembered that on my own. I just hope that all the similar ones are different enough that we get a decent number of lines at least. I'll be disapointed if every level 5 dot is basically the same thing.

I was actually more concerned that spell design would not be covered as I don't mind a limited starting library of spells as long as I can add as I want, but it looks like that fear is unfounded judging from this quote:

Originally posted here http://206.65.59.245/forums/search....division=EQ&subject=EverQuest RPG&task=thread

With 1,200 spells from EQ online to convert and present in
the EQrpg Player's Handbook (PHB), plus 80+ bard songs (all
of which pushed the EQrpg PHB to 400pages!) there was no
room for additional spells not found in EQ online.

The EQrpg Game Master's Guide (GMG) has guidelines on
creating new spells under the mana-based system.

Steve Wieck

As long as those guidelines are detailed and well-written, I'll be satisfied.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have to say that I might find the spell system interesting. After all, in any Mana Points system, I consider it almost necessary to have spells fixed for damage and effect at each level, in order to balance what happens to high level casters with lots of mana points. After all, you do not want in a spell system any high level caster with hundreds of mana points using the same 1-point cost spell over and over again for massive damage due to level.

A long time ago I proposed on these boards a spell system that did not use mana points or spell slots, but rather fixed effects for a fixed materials cost. Spells must cost something - whether resources, power, or time. I especially liked Everquest's ideas on spell preparation - very reminiscent of "Amber Diceless Roleplaying" to me.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Erifnogard said:

This tells me that they probably didn't just resurect the old 'weapon speed' system. Actually I expect something much more usable, possible a tiered approach along the lines of Very Fast/Fast/Normal/Slow/Very Slow modifiers to initiative. Just guessing, but that would fit with several other systems that d20 uses, such as size, weapon proficiency brackets, etc. So basically I expect daggers, rapiers, etc. to be in a Fast bracket as opposed to say two handers in the Slow bracket. I could be totally off base though as I haven't seen anything official to this effect.

I didn't care for the very fast etc system myself. I generally though it should of been alomst reversed. If I have a big sword and you have a dagger and you get in on me before I get a swing on you it's time to surrender because I'm massively outclassed. A swords reach over a dagger is huge and 3ed dropped the ball IMO on reach.

While not perfect a system I liked was the fantasy hero system for 4th ed. It gave each weapon a size from 1-3 I think, when combat started whoever had the bigger reach got a bonus to hit = to the difference in reach, the smaller reach got a like penalty. If the smaller reach person scored an attack then the penalties were reversed, because he was now inside the longer reach weapons guard, the same could then occur for the long reach preson in effect getting the opponent to back off a bit. It could slow things down a bit if you weren't used to it, but it seemed to make combat feel more fluid and dynamic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads