Everybody Cheats?

Gary Alan Fine's early survey of role-playing games found that everybody cheated. But the definition of what cheating is when it applies to role-playing games differs from other uses of the term. Does everyone really cheat in RPGs? Yes, Everybody Gary Alan Fine's work, Shared Fantasy, came to the following conclusion: Perhaps surprisingly, cheating in fantasy role-playing games is...

Gary Alan Fine's early survey of role-playing games found that everybody cheated. But the definition of what cheating is when it applies to role-playing games differs from other uses of the term. Does everyone really cheat in RPGs?

61MMguCyhiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yes, Everybody​

Gary Alan Fine's work, Shared Fantasy, came to the following conclusion:
Perhaps surprisingly, cheating in fantasy role-playing games is extremely common--almost everyone cheats and this dishonesty is implicitly condoned in most situation. The large majority of interviewees admitted to cheating, and in the games I played, I cheated as well.
Fine makes it a point of clarify that cheating doesn't carry quite the same implications in role-playing as it does in other games:
Since FRP players are not competing against each other, but are cooperating, cheating does not have the same effect on the game balance. For example, a player who cheats in claiming that he has rolled a high number while his character is fighting a dragon or alien spaceship not only helps himself, but also his party, since any member of the party might be killed. Thus the players have little incentive to prevent this cheating.
The interesting thing about cheating is that if everyone cheats, parity is maintained among the group. But when cheating is rampant, any player who adheres slavishly to die-roll results has "bad luck" with the dice. Cheating takes place in a variety of ways involving dice (the variable component PCs can't control), such as saying the dice is cocked, illegible, someone bumped the table, it rolled off a book or dice tray, etc.

Why Cheat?​

One of the challenges with early D&D is that co-creator Gary Gygax's design used rarity to make things difficult. This form of design reasoned that the odds against certain die rolls justified making powerful character builds rare, and it all began with character creation.

Character creation was originally 3d6 for each attribute, full stop. With the advent of computers, players could automate this rolling process by rapidly randomizing thousands of characters until they got the combination of numbers they wanted. These numbers dictated the PC's class (paladins, for example, required a very strict set of high attributes). Psionics too, in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, required a specific set of attributes that made it possible to spontaneously manifest psionic powers. Later forms of character generation introduced character choice: 4d6 assigned to certain attributes, a point buy system, etc. But in the early incarnations of the game, it was in the player's interest, if she wanted to play a paladin or to play a psionic, to roll a lot -- or just cheat (using the dice pictured above).

Game masters have a phrase for cheating known as "fudging" a roll; the concept of fudging means the game master may ignore a roll for or against PCs if it doesn't fit the kind of game he's trying to create. PCs can be given extra chances to reroll, or the roll could be interpreted differently. This "fudging" happens in an ebb and flow as the GM determines the difficulty and if the die rolls support the narrative.

GM screens were used as a reference tool with relevant charts and to prevent players from seeing maps and notes. But they also helped make it easier for GMs to fudge rolls. A poll on RPG.net shows that over 90% of GMs fudged rolls behind the screen.

Cheating Is the Rule​

One of Fifth Edition's innovations was adopting a common form of cheating -- the reroll -- by creating advantage. PCs now have rules encouraging them to roll the dice twice, something they've been doing for decades with the right excuse.

When it comes to cheating, it seems like we've all been doing it. But given that we're all working together to have a good time, is it really cheating?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Aldarc

Legend
To quote Luke Crane, in his discussion of Moldvay Basic:

I've a deeper understanding why fudging dice is the worst rule ever proposed. The rules indicate fudging with a wink and a nudge, "Don't let a bad die roll ruin a good game." Seems like good advice, but to them I say, "Don't put bad die rolls in your game."​

(He goes on with the following:

To expand on the point: The players' sense of accomplishment is enormous. They went through hell and death to survive long enough to level. They have their own stories about how certain scenarios played out. They developed their own clever strategems to solve the puzzles and defeat the opposition. If I fudge a die, I take that all away. Every bit of it. Suddenly, the game becomes my story about what I want to happen. The players, rather than being smart and determined and lucky, are pandering to my sense of drama—to what I think the story should be.

So this wink and nudge that encourages GMs to fudge is the greatest flaw of the text.[/url]
Interesting and entertaining read. Luke Crane's discussion on running Holmes/Moldvay basic adventures had me curious about going back through Keep on the Borderlands, which happens to also include a section on being an effective Dungeon Master:
HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE DUNGEON MASTER

As Dungeon Master, the beginner is faced with a difficult problem. The DM is the most important person in the D&D game. He or she sets up and controls all situations, makes decisions, and acts as the link between the players and the world he or she has created. Perhaps the most common question asked by a beginning Dungeon Master is, “What do I do to run a game?” It is possible to read through the rules and become slightly lost by all the things that must be prepared or known before DMing a game.

Unlike most boardgames, D&D play relies on information, both from the players and the DM. In boardgames, the way the game is played is obvious. First one person moves, and then another. Actions are limited and choices are few. In this game, the action is only limited by the abilities of the character, the imagination of the player, and the decisions of the DM. The play will often go in unexpected directions and the DM will sometimes be required to decide on situations not covered in the rules. The DM is the judge.

As a judge, moderator, or referee, the DM must constantly deal with the players. Just as the referee of a sporting event, the DM must be fair. He or she cannot be “out to get the players”, nor should he or she be on their side all the time. The DM must be neutral. If a party has played well and succeeded, the DM should not punish them by sending more and more monsters at them or thwart their plans; on the other hand, if the players have acted foolishly, they should get their “just rewards”. In combat, the DM should play the monsters to the best of the monster’s ability. If the creature is stupid, it may be easily tricked or may not always do the smartest thing. If the monster is clever or intelligent, it will fight to its best advantage. The DM must be fair, but the players must play wisely.

The DM is also the designer of the situations and must bear in mind the abilities of his or her players. It is the job of the DM to see that the situations and characters balance. If things are too difficult, the players will become discouraged; too easy and they will become bored. Is it possible for a good player to win, yet still be a challenge and a risk in doing so? Is the amount of treasure gained equal to the danger of trying to get it? As DM, much satisfaction comes from watching players overcome a difficult situation. But they should do it on their own!

To defeat monsters and overcome problems, the DM must be a dispenser of information. Again, he or she must be fair - telling the party what it can see, but not what it cannot. Questions will be asked by players, either of the DM or of some character the party has encountered, and the DM must decide what to say. Information should never be given away that the characters have not found out -
secret doors may be missed, treasure or magic items overlooked, or the wrong question asked of a townsperson. The players must be allowed to make their own choices. Therefore, it is important that the DM give accurate information, but the choice of action is the players’ decision.

Throughout all this - making decisions, playing roles, handling monsters - the DM must remember that he or she is in control. The DM is the judge, and it is his or her game. The DM should listen to the players and weigh their arguments fairly when disagreements arise, but the final decision belongs to the DM. The Dungeon Master’s word is law!
The dungeon master guide in this classic adventure does not say that the DM can or should fudge. My reading is that the DM's position as judge is contextualized rather than unilateral. The assertion that "the Dungeon Master's word is law!" is, for example, contextualized within a discussion on arbitrating player disagreements and arguments, whether that is between players or the players and the GM.

It says that the DM will act as a judge, arbiter, and final word when situations arise that are not covered by the rules. Fudging, however, more often than not occurs in cases that are covered by the rules. The DM wants to break the rules to change the outcome to a more desirable one, whether for the player or their campaign plans. But the goals of fudging - changing die results for "the greater good of the player" - would seem to run contrary to the advice given here, namely when told "As DM, much satisfaction comes from watching players overcome a difficult situation. But they should do it on their own!" Fudging breaks this precept pretty hard as it takes away from the players earning victory by "[overcoming] a difficult situation." We are even told that the DM should play the monster to the best of its ability. Fudging would likewise run contrary to this imperative, as it essentially handicaps the monsters and unfairly favors players from their "just rewards."

Overall, this DM advice speaks well to what [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] says about how the goal should be good play from the players and and that notions of "Rule Zero" was not as liberally interpreted to include DM-authorized cheating as it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
When you change the result of a die, what rule are you following?

And, even if you want to point to "rulings not rules" or some other vaguely defined term, it's cheating, even if the rules kinda/sorta give you permission to do so.

So all you can come up with to counter our arguments is, "Yes it is!"?

pemerton

Legend
My reading is that the DM's position as judge is contextualized rather than unilateral. The assertion that "the Dungeon Master's word is law!" is, for example, contextualized within a discussion on arbitrating player disagreements and arguments, whether that is between players or the players and the GM.
Unsurprisingly, I agree!

It says that the DM will act as a judge, arbiter, and final word when situations arise that are not covered by the rules. Fudging, however, more often the not occurs in cases that are covered by the rules.
Right, this is the sort of thing I tried to do with my 5-fold analysis of "rule zero" upthread.

It's pretty uncontroversial, in most RPGs which have a traditional GM role at all, that the GM adjudicates the fiction if that has come under question (eg "Is my character in a position to jump across the chasm?").

And because classic D&D has no general resolution mechanics, but only particular ones (dealing with doors; fighting; a few other bits and pieces), it can easily come about that once the fiction is adjudicated, the GM also has to come up with a rule as to how the outcome will be determined. (Eg "Roll 5+ on 1d6 to jump the chasm - on a 4 you balk, on a 1-3 it's down you go!")

But more modern systems tend to have generic resolution mechanics, making this partiuclar sort of adjudication less necessary.

And as you say, fudging in the context of applying an established resolution system is quite a different thing!

Aldarc

Legend
So all you can come up with to counter our arguments is, "Yes it is!"?
...which would make his argumentative content consistent with everyone else in this latest top quality "yes it is" / "no, it is not" thread. :p

Going back to an earlier point...
If the rules explicitly say, "Rolling behind the screen lets you fudge the results if you want to" and the group decides this is a rule that they accept, then it is not cheating for the DM to do so. It's that simple
I had also quoted this paragraph before. My reading of this paragraph in the 5e DMG, much like the preceding paragraph on players fudging, does not seem so much to be about permitting DM fudging as legal, but, rather, simply an admission that it happens and that DMs use the DM Screen as a means to "cleverly" enable their own cheating. Jaywalking does not become legal just because most law enforcement looks the other way or finds it beneath their trouble.

Now if the DM and players decide that cheating is permissible, presumably within limits of some social contract, then it does not mean that cheating has ceased being cheating, but that certain forms of cheating has become permissible within play at that table.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know why it's so important to you and others in this thread to show that Gygax endorsed the White Wolf "golden rule" way back in 1978-79.

For several reasons. Some larger than others.

F'rex, small one - if Gygax did it back then, then the thing has nothing to do with White Wolf. It means that invoking While Wolf in this regard (which will perforce also bring up any associations the audience has with those games) is misleading.

The most important reason to my mind at the moment is that doing so keeps the discussion honest. It is a significant and relevant item, and ignoring it while analyzing his statements on the subject will yield flawed results. Cherry-picking will do that, as we all know. When I see folks explicitly taking this in hand, and making it a consistent part of the philosophy that comes out of the analysis, then I'll feel no need to mention it.

It is all well and good to say that Gygax supported "skilled play", and that he had a notion that he had a notion of "precepts fo the game". He *ALSO* said that, all that theorycraft notwithstanding, there will be times you'll want to do this other thing, and that's totally within your rights and okay.

Which is a good thing - because, to be honest, by modern standards, his experience with RPGs at the time he wrote his various advice was limited - it had to be, because RPGs were new at the time. That leaves his thoughts heavily influenced by selection bias. Maybe they speak to the author's intent for things up through 1e, but not much more than that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Who's being hoity-toity?

Gygax talks repeatedly about skilled play. The closing words of his PHB say that, if you think AD&D is worth playing, you'll find it doubly so if played well. And the preceding two pages of text tell us what playing well means in this context, as do the passages [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] and I have quoted from the DMG: it means preparing sensibly, having a plan of attack in relation to the dungeon, not being distracted by the GM's lures and wandering monsters, etc, in rulebooks that I think don't even use the word "story".

Obviously that's not the only metric for RPGing well. It's not a metric that I use in my own RPGing. But it is clear enough, and if that is how one judges skilled play, then certain consequences follow. Which Gygax himself points to when he says that certain GMing practices would be contrary to the major precepts of the game.

I don't know why it's so important to you and others in this thread to show that Gygax endorsed the White Wolf "golden rule" way back in 1978-79.

Why is it so important? Why is it so important to you to ignore the dozens of passages where Gygax explicitly goes against everything you quote?

He's big on saying that you should do things one way, but that the game is the DM's and they should also make the game theirs by changing whatever they like.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I had also quoted this paragraph before. My reading of this paragraph in the 5e DMG, much like the preceding paragraph on players fudging, does not seem so much to be about permitting DM fudging as legal, but, rather, simply an admission that it happens and that DMs use the DM Screen as a means to "cleverly" enable their own cheating. Jaywalking does not become legal just because most law enforcement looks the other way or finds it beneath their trouble.

The cops don't give advice on when and how to Jaywalk, though. The 5e rule does. It's a rule, not simply an admission that it happen.

Emerikol

Adventurer
It is all well and good to say that Gygax supported "skilled play", and that he had a notion that he had a notion of "precepts fo the game". He *ALSO* said that, all that theorycraft notwithstanding, there will be times you'll want to do this other thing, and that's totally within your rights and okay.

It seems to me nowadays that the "skilled play" approach has been in decline for some time. I personally still play that way but I see a lot of alternate views out there that likely weren't back in Gygax's time.

When I was much younger, I used rule zero a lot more. Nowadays I almost never use it to "fudge" a roll. For some of the reasons people have given in that it steals the glory from the players for a job well done. I will say that if I ever fudged a roll it would be extremely rare these days and it would likely be because I as DM made a mistake and I was trying to rectify what I had done.

I think it's pretty obvious that there is a tension even in Gygax's writings between fudging and playing it straight. I expect he did fudge on occasion but not super often. If the players catch you fudging you've lost them.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I'll quote it again, from p 9 of his DMG, ie the first page under the heading Introduction:

The final word, then, is the game. Read how and why the system is as if is, follow the parameters, and then cut portions as needed to maintain excitement. For example, the rules call for wandering monsters, but these can be not only irritating - if not deadly - but the appearance of such can actually spoil a game by interfering with an orderly expedition. You have set up an area full of clever tricks and traps, populated it with well-thought-out creature complexes, given clues about it to pique players’ interest, and the group has worked hard to supply themselves with everything by way of information and equipment they will need to face and overcome the imagined perils. They are gathered together and eager to spend an enjoyable evening playing their favorite game, with the expectation of going to a new, strange area and doing their best to triumph. They are willing to accept the hazards of the dice, be it loss of items, wounding, insanity, disease, death, as long as the process is exciting. But lo!, everytime you throw the ”monster die” a wandering nasty is indicated, and the party’s strength is spent trying to fight their way into the area. Spells expended, battered and wounded, the characters trek back to their base. Expectations have been dashed, and probably interest too, by random chance. Rather than spoil such an otherwise enjoyable time, omit the wandering monsters indicated by the die. No, don’t allow the party to kill them easily or escape unnaturally, for that goes contrary to the major precepts of the game. Wandering monsters, however, are included for two reasons, as is explained in the section about them. If a party deserves to have these beasties inflicted upon them, that is another matter, but in the example above it is assumed that they are doing everything possible to travel quickly and quietly to their planned destination. If your work as a DM has been sufficient, the players will have all they can handle upon arrival, so let them get there, give them a chance. The game is the thing, and certain rules can be distorted or disregarded altogether in favor of play.​

I have bolded the salient passage. Although Gygax doesn't use the terminology, he is drawing a clear distinction between introducing content, which the GM can manage in the interests of excitement provided that it doesn't give undeserving parties an unfair benefit; and resolving conflicts, where allowing the PCs an easy victory or unnatural escape would be bad GMing, because it would be contrary to the major precepts of the game

Yep. Note that he doesn't say "don't alter the rules," but rather "don't allow them to encounter monsters without consequence." He's already given permission to alter or ignore a rule (roll for wandering monsters every x amount of time), and stated that it's a better option than having a wandering monster and no consequences.

I have quoted that passage (from p 110) multiple times upthread. I will quote it again, in full, and emphasising some salient elements:

You do have every right to overrule the dice at any time if there is a particular course of events that you would like to have occur. In making such a decision you should never seriously harm the party or a non-player character with your actions. "ALWAYS GIVE A MONSTER AN EVEN BREAK!" . . .​

This would be altering the results in the opposite direction - consequences should never seriously harm the party. But also remember that there should be consequences.

Now and then a player will die through no fault of his own. He or she will have done everything correctly, taken every reasonable precaution, but still the freakish roll of the dice will kill the character. In the long run you should let such things pass as the players will kill more than one opponent with their own freakish rolls at some later time. Yet you do have the right to arbitrate the situation. You can rule that the player, instead of dying, is knocked unconscious, loses a limb, is blinded in one eye or invoke any reasonably severe penalty that still takes into account what the monster has done. It is very demoralizing to the players to lose a cared-for-player character when they have played well. When they have done something stupid or have not taken precautions, then let the dice fall where they may!

This is more specifically about combat, although a player could also die from traps, etc. Once again he's allowing the DM to alter the results. One of the most common reasons (if not THE most common reason) a DM fudges is to avoid killing a character. But make sure there are consequences. Go ahead and alter it if you must, I'd recommend that you don't most of the time, but if you do, there must be consequences.

In both the passage on p 9 and the passage on p 110, the distinction between playing well (ie taking precautions, preparing sensibly, moving quickly and quietly through the dungeon, etc - all this stuff is spelled out in more detail on pp 107-9 of the PHB) and failing to take precautions or otherwise doing something stupid, hence deserving what befalls one, is drawn very clearly.

And the need to respect what a monster has done - so that a loss in combat still counts as a loss in combat, just not a fatal one - and to always give a monster an even break, and thus for instance not allow the PCs to easily defeat a monster or unnaturally escape from it, is likewise emphasised very clearly. Which only makes sense, given that playing well means making rational choices to overcome the challenges posed by the game, and one doesn't overcome challenges if the GM hands one victory by fudging.

Agreed again. The DM shouldn't even consider fudging for stupidity. It's really a tool that is best suited for those circumstances (freakish roll of the die, a mistake made by the DM) where the rules of the game interfere with the excitement of the game.

Thus, as I have repeatedly said, I don't see that anyone can read all that Gygaxian text, and then conclude that he was advocating that the GM fudge monster hp to (sya) let the PCs win, or to delay a PC victory, or anything of that sort. That sort of thing would obviously go contrary to the major precepts of Gygax's game.

And that depends entirely on which words you feel are more important. For example, I don't recall a sentence as specific as "you do have the right to overrule the dice at any time," that states the opposite. The closest I'm aware of is also very specific (and exclusive): "Yet one die roll that you should NEVER tamper with is the SYSTEM SHOCK ROLL to be raised from the dead." Not "one of the die rolls," but "one die roll." This is in the same section you've quoted where he's quite clearly stated twice ("you have every right to overrule the dice at any time," and, "Yet you do have the right to arbitrate the situation."

I think it's worth noting that what Gygax is advocating in the interviews you refer to contradicts what he says in his DMG. His advice may be good or it may be bad. But it goes directly against his direction to always give a monster an even break, to not seriously harm a NPC, and to not allow the PCs an easy victory. I am not talking about what Gygax himself did, or what he said in interviews. I'm saying that the classic D&D texts (AD&D; Moldvay Basic; OD&D and Chainmail as best I know them, though I don't know them as well; and I would assume Holmes also, though I know it least well of all) did not advocate GM control over outcomes in the way that the 2nd ed AD&D books, with their focus on the GM doing "what is good for the story" did.

And yet, if you're understanding of the quoted passages is that the DM is similar to mine, he very rarely contradicted himself. Here's a whole list of them: https://orbitalflower.github.io/rpg/people/gary-gygax-quotes.html

Does that mean his opinion never changed? Of course not. What he says in later years is also colored by years of additional game design by him and others as well. But the overall thrust fits quite comfortably with the way I've thought D&D should be played.

I'll also add a personal opinion: I think that, in cases where an AD&D GM has made an encounter "too difficult" (whatever exactly that means), then Gyagx's advice to ameliorate the results of death blows seems to me to be better advice than adjusting the hit points on the fly. The result is likely to be a PC defeated but not dead, who then must be rescued by henchmen or associates, which seems the appropriate sort of outcome for a "skilled play", dungeoneering game.

And this is exactly what I think he was saying all along - that it's the DMs job to ensure that the consequences are commensurate with the challenge. If the consequences are not, either by die roll or DM error, then don't slavishly follow the rules or the die roll, because that's not the major precept of the game. It's not the point of the game.

I don't believe that it is wrong. I do think it's a sign of poor design - unsurprising i the transition from Chainmail to AD&D, but by the time we get to 2nd ed AD&D a sign of an unwillingness to grapple with the reality that the rules for a dungeoneering wargame simply don't make a very good vehicle for playing something like Dragonlance.

Well, the design team wanted to alter 2e quite a bit more than they were allowed, simply because it had to remain compatible with 1e. I think 3e initially handled the switch to new mechanics extremely well, but it altered the power scale significantly, although that wasn't immediately apparent either. Trying to maintain the general balance and feel of a game while at the same time radically redesigning the mechanics is a very difficult thing to do, especially since much of the feel is dependent upon the mechanics. This was extremely evident with 4e. But also with various OD&D variants such as Dungeon World that are directed toward a specific style of play (and then take it farther).

To quote Luke Crane, in his discussion of Moldvay Basic:

I've a deeper understanding why fudging dice is the worst rule ever proposed. The rules indicate fudging with a wink and a nudge, "Don't let a bad die roll ruin a good game." Seems like good advice, but to them I say, "Don't put bad die rolls in your game."​

(He goes on with the following:

To expand on the point: The players' sense of accomplishment is enormous. They went through hell and death to survive long enough to level. They have their own stories about how certain scenarios played out. They developed their own clever strategems to solve the puzzles and defeat the opposition. If I fudge a die, I take that all away. Every bit of it. Suddenly, the game becomes my story about what I want to happen. The players, rather than being smart and determined and lucky, are pandering to my sense of drama—to what I think the story should be.

So this wink and nudge that encourages GMs to fudge is the greatest flaw of the text.[/url]

I think that this is good advice also for Dragonlance play - if your system can't give you epic drama without the game becoming about what the GM wants to happen, then it's a poorly designed system.)​

And this is one opinion of the effect of fudging a roll. But in an RPG I see at least two points where a player's sense of accomplishment can be attained (and they aren't mutually exclusive). One is in the master of the rules, that is, the mechanics. We entered this dungeon, and through good play (including playing the mechanics), we conquered the dungeon. This is particularly important in organized and the old tournament play, where every table is playing the same adventure. Even if it isn't an official tournament, there is a satisfaction of being able to compare your group to others.

But in another approach, it's about the characters' accomplishments more than the players'. The rules are there to help the DM adjudicate the circumstances. It could be following an epic storyline like Dragonlance or Lord of the Rings, where the players are playing the known characters that cannot die for the story to continue. Things like resurrection in epic tales of this nature are not an option, because death is meant to be permanent. In LotR, Gandalf's return is more meaningful because Boromir did not. Had he simply been resurrected too, then it would have had less of an impact. Maybe D&D isn't the best design for this, but it works very well nonetheless. Perhaps something like Dungeon World is better suited, but for my tastes it loses the feel and flavor that I'm looking for when I play D&D. So it's not a good fit for me.

I totally disagree that you take it away, nor do I think it's a flaw. I think it's one of D&D's greatest strengths. That the rules don't control the flow of the game for the PCs or the DM. It's not just a wink and a nudge. There are statements throughout the OD&D/AD&D era in the books that are constantly instructing the DM to make the game their own. And they aren't just limited to the setting, they also state that if a rule isn't working for you, don't use it.

What it really comes down to from my perspective is how my importance you place on the rules themselves, and things like the dice. From a designer standpoint, "don't put bad die rolls in your game." Fair enough. But it's very, very difficult to do. Historically, each iteration of D&D has tried to clarify rules, it's easy to follow in the spell descriptions, and it was often done in response to "rules lawyers" and players that would find loopholes that allowed them to exploit the rules. Gygax and others from the era lamented the fact that the more rules they put in, the more the rules lawyers had to hold onto. That it often became a debate about the reading of the rules (like this), rather than playing the game. That adding and "clarifying" rules had more unintended consequences than benefits.

For me, all we need is a set of rules that gives us a basic resolution mechanic, and some guidelines on how to set up difficulties, and that takes care of the majority of the resolutions. If it takes care of 90%+, and I have to adjust on the fly the rest, I'm good to go. I'm not worried about a rule set that can handle every situation without error, because it requires too many rules. I like the general rule structure and game structure of D&D.

I'm not saying your interpretation, or even the post you quote here is wrong. But it's also not right for everybody. And that's my point. The rules fully support these two and many other ways that folks want to play D&D.​

Aldarc

Legend
He's big on saying that you should do things one way, but that the game is the DM's and they should also make the game theirs by changing whatever they like.
I would say that houseruling new rules for the table is one thing, but that fudging the rules you supposedly follow is another. And I don't think that we should speak as if these the two matters equate with each other.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads