• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Everyman Tier: Level 0 or Fractional Levels

takasi

First Post
4th edition IMO removes the 'before they were awesome' stage that has traditionally held the first couple of levels in D&D. I think it's possible to do this with 4th edition, so here's how I would do it:

1.) XP. You could start out at 'level 0'. Getting to level 1 could be accomplished by having one successful fight, or you may want a slower progression. You could make it 500 xp to give a fell of scale. Perhaps you start off at a negative number, like -500 or -1000 xp, and once you reach 0 you are level 1. Or you could bump up all of the xp values for each level.

My preference: start out at level 0 with -500 xp and hit level 1 at 0 xp. It's gives a longer progression and it's easier to modify the system that way.

2.) HP. One option is to start out with your con in hit points. This would indicate that you haven't received the hit points you'd get from class training. Another is to start out with just your class hit points. This doesn't make as much sense to me, as I can't explain why constitution would suddenly come into play at level 1. A third option is to have half the hit points you would normally receive at 1st level.

My preference: I kind of like option 3.

3.) Defenses: You don't receive the bonus to defenses from your class.

4.) Class Abilities: You can pick one class ability.

5.) Powers: You could just start out with no powers. You could also pick maybe one power to have. Another option is to pick just one power. You could also increase all powers by one degree. Pick one at will and it becomes an encounter, and pick on encounter and it becomes a daily.

My preference: I would prefer to start out with no powers, honestly.

6.) Feats: You could start off with no feats, only gaining them at level 1. You could also start off with feats, gaining nothing at level 1.

My preference: No feats at level 0.

7.) Equipment: Starting gold can be a fractional amount or the full starting amount.

My preference: I would probably go with half starting gold (50 gp).

Another option is to have fractional levels.

1/4 level = start at -2000 xp (500 xp per 1/4 level), 1/4 normal 1st level hp per 1/4 level, one class ability per 1/4 advance

For powers, you start out at 1/4 level with no powers. At 1/2 level you pick one at will power and it becomes a daily. At 3/4 level the at will you chose becomes an encounter, and you pick an encounter and it becomes a daily.

This will effectively give you 3 'levels' before you become a normal 1st level 4th edition super hero. What do people think?

Stalker0

Legend
You might consider leaving the hp alone but giving the party a massive decrease in healing surges. So the party has the traditional, one fight and we are exhausted, phase that the everyman 1st level adventurer normally has.

Exen Trik

First Post
How about having a full ten level "commoner tier"? Level 0 can be no class at all with only Con hit points and basic attacks, at level 0.1 you choose a class and gain a portion of its features. Next level and each even level after you get a power, and on every other one you get more features/hit points/etc.

Takes a little work to split up the features fairly, but it seems doable.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
another possibility is giving the PCs modified minion hp -
and hit renders them unconscious, but they automatically stabilize.

more suitable for a noncombat focused prolog than a campaign.

Not sure what to do with powers -
perhaps at-wills become encounter, encounter becomes daily, no daily
lots of basic attacks.
trained skills could be +3 or reduced in number.

Ouronos

Explorer
The Commoner Tier

How about having a full ten level "commoner tier"? Level 0 can be no class at all with only Con hit points and basic attacks, at level 0.1 you choose a class and gain a portion of its features. Next level and each even level after you get a power, and on every other one you get more features/hit points/etc.

Takes a little work to split up the features fairly, but it seems doable.

Greetings...

I think I actually like the idea of a full ten level "commoner tier", especially for NPCs, minions, and "important non-classed persons". You are correct that it would take (more than) a little work to split up the features fairly.

Some suggestions for anyone thinking about expanding this idea (including myself):

- have a way for commoners to switch class powers during their commoner-tier levels. This would exemplify the "early years" of curiosity, exploration and experimintation that would occur before a "class choice" is made.

- have a way for commoners to declare a class choice at some point (level 5 or so, perhaps) so that class-based abilities can begin being gained.

- have a way for PCs to choose to go through the commoner-tier without getting killed on normal adventures.

- have a way for PCs going through the commoner-tier to be able to maintain one (or more) features from their non-class experience. After all, all that curiosity, exploration and experimentation should pay off somehow.

To really complicate things, how about Paragon and Epic commoners (which should be changed to other names... perhaps "Expert" and "Master" commoners). This would permit "higher ranking" commoners that would emulate the upper-echelon of the non-classed.

Expert tier examples: Skilled Apprentice - for those that really want to be a class, but just don't make the grade; Expert Skillsman - for the expert in their skilled profession (like blacksmith, artisan, performer, or sage) ; Commoner's Hero - a psuedo-class, perhaps. Like the skilled apprentice, but showing a person that could have been an adventurer, if they only didn't stay at home.

Master tier examples: Knight's Shieldbearer - the adventurer's sidekick. Better than a minion, since they don't get one-shot killed. Squires, Shieldbearers, and Pennant-men may all fit in this catagory; Crown Jewel of the People - the earl/baron/royal-of-choice that makes an active committment to know the people, help the people, and befriend his subjects

I am sure that given a lot more thought that this idea could be fleshed out; the examples were simply inspired examples off the top of my head.

The commoner tier... this is definately something worth exploring. I can just about see an entire portion of the campaign being devoted to a commoner's party. Almost like "adventuring from the commoner's point of view".

Until that time...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads