• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everyone happy the starter set will be based in the Realms?

Are you happy about the starter set being based in the Realms?

• Yes.

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • No.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • Don't mind either way.

Votes: 87 51.2%

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Ooh, ooh! I'm #3!

I didn't start until '81 though. I was only 1 in '74.
I also begun playing D&D by being the DM. I started in '85 with the Italian version of Mentzer's Red Box. And I was also 1 year old in '74... a bit young and I might have had a few problems with the rules being in English, since at the time even my Italian wasn't exactly up to snuff...

Agamon

Adventurer
I also begun playing D&D by being the DM. I started in '85 with the Italian version of Mentzer's Red Box. And I was also 1 year old in '74... a bit young and I might have had a few problems with the rules being in English, since at the time even my Italian wasn't exactly up to snuff...

Yeah, like Henry said, the games were crappy, but we had fun learning the hard way.

Ballbo Big'uns

Explorer
Fine with me. The Realms are a kitchen sink setting so you can do and find just about anything there.

And I find the complaints about its high-level NPCs akin to complaining about it being hard to find a job in Chicago because there's a lot of movie stars in California. :hmm:

To be fair, movie stars don't jealously guard the status quo of the universe...nor can they scry and teleport several times a day.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Are you happy about the starter set being based in the Realms?

Yes as i enjoy the Realms, especially the Sword Coast. One of my first AD&D 2nd edition campaign was based in this region starting in Daggerford using N5 Under Illfarn and i always like returning there.

Uchawi

First Post
I would prefer they did something new, so how that could have been done with FR is to go backwards in the FR time line or the beginning similar to star wars and the knights of the old republic. But my real preference is a new world and leave the existing ones alone.

Stormonu

Legend
Really? You never played any RPGs at all before you began DMing?

Well you are the second person I've ever known of you started DMing without ever having played. By the of chance, did you start in '74 too?

Add me to that list of DMing without having played before. Started in '79, Holmes edition.

WitchyD

Explorer
Add me to your growing list of people who DMed their first D&D experience. I got the 3.5 starter box when I was in my early teens ('04?), ran it for three of my siblings. I ended up just running that for sometime, shoehorning in extra levels from the PHB (the box only supported levels 1-2!) so we could have characters for longer but without added complexity.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with the Starter Set taking place in an established setting, period. When I get my copy of the Starter Set, I'll be running it for people who've never played D&D before, and being able to take their characters from the Set, and continue play in the world without my needing to homebrew a setting takes a lot of work of my shoulders. Unlike with experienced players, I won't be worried too much about screwing something up about the Realms' history, either. This seems pretty ideal for me.

Remove ads